Clothes for Flying

dmk

What do you wear when you are flying and arriving the day the cruise is sailing?

I want to be comfortable on the flight. But I also want to wear something I could wear to dinner that night in case my luggage comes late to the room.

Flying, I always thing of safety first in case anything ever happens at 35,000 feet. So with that, that translates to a sleeved shirt (long/short depending on the weather), long pants, & laced shoes (you don't want your loafers falling off if you need to make a run for it). Sorry to put a dampner on this thread, but I'm just thinking realistically.

Of course, all of this would be totally acceptable for the first night casual dinner (assuming you're not wearing jeans).

I have a couple of "travel" outfits, but my all time fav is from QVC, the Citiknits line. It's black slacks and a vest. Love, love, love the comfort of that fabric and the way it looks on me. Very comfortable to fly in. And, I simply change tops if my luggage doesn't arrive to my cabin before dinnertime. We like to shower and change for our first night's dinner, but as I said, there are times the luggage simply doesn't arrive in time.:cool:

DH and I try not to look like twins, but we both wear a version of the same outfit: Blazer, crew neck top or golf shirt, and khakis. Mine is usually a coloured blazer (bright blue, emerald green, amethyst) while Hubby's is likely either navy or a small black/tan check. For the last couple of trips I've been wearing a pair of lace-up white Keds because I find the rubber sole makes it easier to navigate the airport tile floors than a smooth leather sole. When we travel we try to find clothes that breathe and yet don't look like we've just spent 14 hours in transit when we reach our destination.

Smooth Sailing!:) :) :)

I generally wear elastic waisted pants for travel, usually with a short sleeved knit shirt and a sweater. But this is the first time I've had a really long amount of travel time (23 hours including flight times and waiting in airports) so I'm curious: would I do better to wear sneakers and ankle socks or my Easy Spirit oxfords with knee hi hose?

Seems to me there are additional concerns about blood circulation when you have long flights.

I remember hearing or reading that there are certain items of clothes that should never be worn on an airplane (just in case of an emergency). One of those items is pantyhose and high heels.

I have always worn comfortable clothes and brought a sweater (since I am always cold).:)

Sandy.....You are correct to be aware of the very tiny chance of developing blood clots in the legs as a result of a very long flight stuffed into cramped seats.

The best thing to do is to get up and walk every hour or so. Walking to the rest room is a good idea.

Khakis (that you can unzip the bottom part to make shorts), running shoes, nice shirt and a warm ???sweatshirt??? (I don't know if it's what we call sweatshirt, it's a black warm jacket with zipper and also a hood) for the plane because it's usually cold. Obviously, I wouldn't wear this sweatshirt for dinner but perfect for the plane and some shore excursion if it is cold outside. I also bring a few extra items in carry-on, just in case my luggage was lost and then I would have something nice for the first at-sea day: one nice sleeveless top (matching the khakis/shorts I wear on the plane and also the black skirt), short black skirt (matching the shirt I had on the plane and the top I'm taking in the carry-on), bathing suit, 2-3 pairs of underwear, casual sandals but nice enough to wear in the dinning room, hat (for the sun). Even if my luggage get lost, I can get by until next port, I just need to wash some items and I can make a few different outfits and the short black skirt is great for the day and is also OK for the dinning room (in my opinion, especially when it's for luggage delay reasons).

What do you wear when you are flying and arriving the day the cruise is sailing?

Since we are flying overnight and hopefully asleep for several hours, I will want to be comfortable and wearing layers probably wear a Juicy-type sweatsuit (black velveteen flared trousers and jacket over a nice vneck tshirt) and cute Puma-type sneakers. If my luggage doesn't get there and someone is aggravated that I don't look dressed up enough for a casual dinner, I would be dismayed at the attitude and hope they weren't on my tours or at my table. It's a vacation, we should all relax and have fun and be understanding that baggage handlers make mistakes and we are all here to have a vacation, not to sweat the small stuff. Be comfortable and be happy. :)

I have a black knit outfit - pants & a long sweater - that I can move around & snooze in. Wore it on an overnight flight to Italy last year & will probably wear it to Vancouver. I can dress it up with a nice shirt & scarf for smart casual and it doesn't wrinkle, just bags out in the seat, but with the long sweater, only DH & I will know.:p I usually wear Land's End all-weather mocs which fit snugly but also come off relatively easily going through security. I can do all but "real" hiking in them. They're a little clunky (Ok, really clunky) for formal night, but ok for most of the others.

Tanzi, you can sit at my table any time!

Your "sweatshirt" (?) out west is called a "bunny hug". Our friends from North Carolina just giggled when they heard us ask if either had brought their bunny hugs to keep them warm in the evenings - they didn't have a clue what we were talking about! I think in the US they refer to our "bunny hugs" as "hoodies" ... I like bunny hug, myself - makes them seem more cuddly!

Smooth Sailing!:) :) :)

Looks like I'm the only one who wears jeans! I usually wear a sleeveless top with a long sleeve top or light sweater over it. That allows me to go right from the chilly plane to the tropical sun. And I always pack a sundress in my carryon in case my suitcases don't show up before dinner.

Looks like I'm the only one who wears jeans! I usually wear a sleeveless top with a long sleeve top or light sweater over it. That allows me to go right from the chilly plane to the tropical sun. And I always pack a sundress in my carryon in case my suitcases don't show up before dinner.

Suesea - I'm with you - for any flight other than to a cruise. For me, I knew I wouldn't be wearing the jeans during the cruise, and I just didn't feel "cruizy" in them, so I left them at home and wore some casual capri pants with topsider shoes. Still, I was cold, and had to throw on a blanket!!

When flying, I almost always wear a twin sweater set. This allows for a few different weather conditions. For pants I generally wear black (in case a FA spills something) ones with a bit of lycra in the fabric. They stay neat looking for the flight.

If it's a very long flight, I usually change into a pair of yoga pants (cot knit, elastic waist) and tee shirt while I sleep on board the plane, but then change back into my regular clothes before landing.

For those of you worried about circulation problems, I've seen compression knee-highs sold exclusively for flights that are supposed to help alleviate some of the DVT problems. I've seen them in my local drugstore as well as travel catalogs.

Jane

I like to look pulled together, but comfort is premium. Should be ideal when you want to look pulled together for dinner.

Microfiber pants in BLACK--comfy, a bit stretchy, no wrinkles, and black is both slimming and forgiving if you spill.

Nice tee in flattering color--microfiber is nice, but cotton is usually fine. I personally would pack an extra as I'm prone to spills.

Light jacket or overshirt to accomodate outdoor/indoor temps. I prefer microfiber black for same reasons as pants.

Flat slides. If feet swell, you are still comfy. In an emergency, lose 'em.

Looking forward to my first cruise in 5 weeks! Flying day before/after so I don't have to worry about this issue!

Kristin

Since I've only cruised in the winter months in the Caribbean and I live in the northeast, here's what's worked for me:

• Chino pants
  • Sleeveless top
  • Shirt over sleeveless top
  • Heavy sweater or jacket.

When I get to the airport, I dump the sweater/jacket into my carry on. The shirt is plenty to keep me comfy on the plane. When I get to the airport of my destination, I ditch the shirt if it's really warm. If it's rainy there, I keep the shirt on.

I also pack a change of clothing in my carry on in case my luggage arrives late. This way I can either wear what I have on or wear whatever I've packed in my carry on.

Archived