Taxi Service in New York

Cheshire UK

I'm a first timer and booked on the Queen Mary 2 from 30th November booked via a travel agent and Virgin Holidays. I fly into JFK from the UK and stay at the Sheraton Suites Hotel Weehawken which I think is in New Jersey for one night then I have to go to the Brooklyn cruise pier to board. I have been quoted £160 :mad: for a taxi from JFK to the Hotel and £180 :mad: for a taxi from the hotel to the ship. What I would like to know is there a cheaper way to get a taxi and how much will it cost:confused:

This seems awful high. You do pay extra because you are going to/from New Jersey (yes, Weehawken is in NJ). Why are you going so far for a one night stay? I believe there is a Sheraton at JFK. From there you could get a taxi on the morning to go to the pier for much less than 180 pounds.

Unless you have a reason for staying in NJ, get your TA to find something closer to JFK and/or the pier.

I may have no clue but there may be a train that can get you from NJ to NY. I know my cousin took me on one from somewhere in NJ and we went to the station at the former WTC.

Another suggstion would be to look into the hotels near the airport as already suggested. Also if you belong to any hotel chain programs you might check their sites for locations and/or prices that are close to where you need to go.

good luck

I fly into JFK from the UK and stay at the Sheraton Suites Hotel Weehawken which I think is in New Jersey for one night then I have to go to the Brooklyn cruise pier to board.

Your travel agent is an idiot. I cannot imagine a more convoluted and expensive itinerary. He he or she ever looked at a map of this area?

Although in New Jersey, Weehawken is just across the Hudson River from Midtown Manhattan, on the opposite shore, so there is no reason to pay such a high rate for a taxi. Surely you were misquoted or somebody is taking advantage.

Think about hiring a car service, there are many in the area and reasonably priced.

You can't get to the ship on the train or subway, the nearest stop is too far away to be a reasonable option.

I suggest going to the Cunard forum with this, where New York area airport-hotel-ship transportation is a frequent topic.

I would also check out the "East Coast Departures" board - there are a number of veteran New Yorkers who can help. The rates you've been quoted seem extremely high, and it sounds like a car service would work better for you. I also wonder about why you're staying in Weehawken - it seems like it would be much easier to stay in Brooklyn or Queens. You will have to pay extra for transportation just because of the tolls involved in travelling from Queens to New Jersey (tunnels and/or bridges). Any savings in hotel rates by staying in New Jersey would be lost in transportation.

180 pounds is roughly $360 right? That's about what I'm paying for a car service from North Central connecticut (roughly 2 hours driving time) to get me to and from the Manhattan cruise terminal.

There's no way you should pay that much money for a cab.

Edit: I just checked Mapquest and Weehawken is only around 20 miles away from JFK, you can probably get a cab ride for $50 + tip or probably around 30 pounds.

Your TA is obviously not familiar with the area or how things work in NY. Their is a pretty decent Marriott right next to the Brooklyn Bridge in Brooklyn. If you stayed there, you would not be more than 10 minutes from the ship and cab fare would not run more than $15 tops. Your ship leaves on a Friday and traffic through the Holland tunnel, across Manhattan, and then into Brooklyn would be H.LL in the morning. Besides the normal traffic, it is also the Christmas season, which makes it even worse with all the shoppers going into the city.

Call your TA and change your hotel. I fail to see why they would fly you into Queens, take you across the city into NJ, and then back again in the morning!

For a flat fee of $45 you can go from JFK to Timesquare. Which is where we stayed for about $250. Then we took a cab to the ship for about $20 plus tip.

Do some work on your own. We stayed at the Algonquin which was great. Do it on your own, you TA must just be blind.

Hi Cheshire, we're also from the UK and on the cruise before you leaving on the 20th Nov. We've booked independently doing our own flights and hotels as we had BA miles to use. We fly into JFK and are staying at the Marriott at Brooklyn for 2 nights pre cruise. I believe it will be around $45 for a taxi from the airport or $70 ish to book a private van to collect us (we don't travel light!). We've got a good rate, but post cruise we're having to pay a lot more, so this may be why your TA has put you miles away as the hotel rates in Manhattan as well as Brooklyn have shot up (I guess to do with Christmas approaching etc). Good luck in resolving this, but I agree with the other posters the rates you are quoting are outrageous. Sue

LOL New Yorker laughing here boy does your TA don't know anything about NY. This is the most expensive, foolish way I have even seen. There are hotels at Battery Park City in Manhattan that have the same view as Weehauken yes they may be more expensive then NJ but a cab will be $45.00 plus toll and tip from JFK or a car service/limo should run about the same(see for instance Carmel Limo) and then a cab to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal will be under $25.00 ,,,,and that is US Dollars and not pounds.

180 pounds is roughly $360 right? That's about what I'm paying for a car service from North Central connecticut (roughly 2 hours driving time) to get me to and from the Manhattan cruise terminal.

There's no way you should pay that much money for a cab.

Edit: I just checked Mapquest and Weehawken is only around 20 miles away from JFK, you can probably get a cab ride for $50 + tip or probably around 30 pounds.

No cab will take you for $50.00 unless it 4 am and they really need the fare. They aren't required to go to NJ(except to Newark Airport) at all and will probably charge no more than a $100.00 including tip and tolls. But why in the good earth are they sending him to NJ at all....

HI Cheshire UK - I am also from UK and sailing from New Jersey to S.Caribbean in March 08. I have booked Tel Aviv limos, very well respected with great feedback. They have quoted me from JFK to Jersey City, New Jersy to my hotel $122 USD (about £65 one way) for 2 adults and 2 kids and 4 cases. The journey is quite short I believe from the hotel to the port so local taxi fare should do it. - You though I think are going from NEW York Port? The hotel I have booked is Hyatt on the Hudson, again excellent reports on this, only $219 (£105 for 4 person room) per night (one night pre cruise and 2 x post cruise)- overlooks the Hudson river for fab views of Manhatten skyline. The PATH train entrance is right next door to the hotel which takes you within minutes to the WTC site by going under the river (cool yeah?). Sounds a great option. I couldnt better the deal for price.

Your original quote for taxi sound WAAAAAYYYY too high to me and I am only an English tourist also!

Good luck.HOllyanna

Archived