Prague Hotels? Must does?

skandls

We are headed to Prague for 5 nights. Any recommendations for hotels - less than $200 per night if possible. We would like to be close to public transit so we can get around town.

Also any things we must do or see?

We stayed at the Hotel Pod Vezi. It is in your price range. At the foot of the Charles Bridge in Mala Stana side. Very charming, quiet, great service. Sightseeing in Prague is mostly on foot.

You will absolutely love Prague. We spent 6 days there 2 years ago and can't wait to go back. We stayed at the Marriott, which was reasonable, but can't remember exactly what we paid. If you are a Marriott member you can also redeem points. It is in a great location and within walking distance of everything--town square, rests., concert hall etc. Don't know your age range but if you are seniors you can get an even better rate. Call their too free number and you can inquire about rates in Prague--1-800-228-9290. I envy you going--wait until you see the shops full of bohemian crystal and garnets!

Micked10

Try the Hotel Leonardo - it's near to Charles Bridge. Also look on www.tripadvisor.com if you have not already done so.

Lots of guided tours are available from the Tourist Information office - using minibuses for about 10 - 12 people. We found these really good and cover all the 'must see' places - don't miss the Jewish Quarter, the Castle and try to get to an evening concert if you can.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Inter-Continental along the river in August. It was very convenient for walking everywhere.

No sight in Prague comes to mind that needed public transportation. Admittedly, there were some long walks.

A couple who had walking difficulty had the concierge arrange for one of those antique-looking cars to come by and pick them up for a tour.

Thanks for the recommendations. Due to the sinking dollar it has been difficult to find a reasonably priced hotel. We are booked at the Best Western near the bridge. Not fancy but also less than $200 per night. This is a 15 night trip for us so I am trying to keep the hotel prices down.

We plan on doing some of the Walking Tours in Prague and maybe taking the train out to the wine country if the weather is good.

Just keep your fingers crossed - there are have been 2 short strikes by the German rail workers. Our other 2 stops are Berlin and Munich. I bought a Railpass - DH is not fond of flying but he likes trains.

Anyone use a car service from Prague airport to their hotel? I am a little leary of faxing my creditcard info to some phone number on the internet.

skandls, we recently returned from an Amadeus cruise that began in Prague. We stayed at the Hotel President, which did cost more than the $200 you mentioned. However, I was very pleased with the car service arrangement. I had emailed the hotel well before the trip, asking if they had a shuttle service from the airport. They did not, but they did work with a private car service. We contracted to have a driver pick us up at the airport, (holding up one of those signs with our last name on it), and drove just the two of us directly to the hotel. We had the bill charged to our room, so we didn't have to worry about being ripped off by a taxi driver in a city we didn't know. I can't say the name of the car service, as I never knew it, but the arrangement was very satisfactory. Once you settle on a hotel, be sure to ask this for this service, or for a shuttle service. Susan

Thanks Susan from skandls (my name is Susan also). We are in Prague having a great time. I did find a hotel that was less than $200 per night. The dollar is dropping against most currencies so we are happy with what we have.

We took AAA taxi (guaranteed rates - suppose to have all honest drivers.) from the airport to our hotel 500czk about $25.

Archived