Yet Another Question on Tipping

NorCalCruiseGuy

On embarkation of the ship, we are greeted with a glass of champagene and a smiling cabin steward who offers to show us to our stateroom, taking our hand luggage and pleasantly explaining about the ship.

Do you usually tip this person? We do, usually $2-3.

Well -- our stateroom has never been ready ... but I wouldn't tip this person. The poor guys lugging the thousands of suitcases up to the rooms - they should be tipped and perhaps hugged.

But in a hotel, I would tip the bellman who brings up the luggage and walks you through the features of the room.

Well -- our stateroom has never been ready ... but I wouldn't tip this person. The poor guys lugging the thousands of suitcases up to the rooms - they should be tipped and perhaps hugged.

But in a hotel' date=' I would tip the bellman who brings up the luggage and walks you through the features of the room.[/quote']

I'm curious to know what your logic is for tipping the person who performs this service in a land-based hotel but not tipping the person who performs this service in a ship-based hotel.

Archived