mixers and jello shots?

LegalCat

I am also a newbie and am not sure what the protocol is for bringing alcohol on board. I read that you are buying yours from Carnival? Can you purchase a bottle from them to keep in your room? How does that work or can you get it at ports that you stop at and bring it back with you on the ship? Cause we were thinkin of just purchasing a soda card and bringin a couple of bottles in our suitcases and mixing our own? Has anyone done this??

Where did you order the booze and beer?

We ordered the booze and beer directly from Carnival. Normlly we just carry a bottle on and then buy some drinks at the bar/pool and then make some of our own drinks.. but this time with 8 heavy drinking girls determined to party it up, lol... I had asked each girl to bring one bottle of some thing and they all decided they didnt want to bother and would rather chip in $40 a piece... so they collected all the money and asked me to buy the booze from Carnival so no one had to worry about contibuting a bottle... works for me, as the organizer, I dont have to worry about people forgetting or being lazy and not doing their part. Plus I got to control what we had to drink as opposed to leaving it up to each person to bring who knows what :)

I am also a newbie and am not sure what the protocol is for bringing alcohol on board. I read that you are buying yours from Carnival? Can you purchase a bottle from them to keep in your room? How does that work or can you get it at ports that you stop at and bring it back with you on the ship? Cause we were thinkin of just purchasing a soda card and bringin a couple of bottles in our suitcases and mixing our own? Has anyone done this??

Ok, the problem is you cant TECHNICALLY bring alcohol on board... if they see it, they can take it away... some people put bottles in their checked, some in their carry on, some put it in cleaned out water or shampoo bottles or other bottles that are leakproof... I have ALWAYS brought a bottle in my carry on in its original bottle and have NEVER had it taken away. Its a risk you take.

Ive always brought a bottle of rum, then buy a soda card and have rum and cokes all week. Also you CAN bring on non alcohol such as a case of coke, that is allowed.

When you buy alcohol in port, they take it away from you as you get on the ship and they deliver it to you on the last night. Occasionally you could slip through if theres a huge line and they arent paying attention and the person stepped away when its a quiet time, but I wouldnt count on that.

You can buy bottles directly from Carnival and they will deliver the bottle to your room the first day of the cruise. You order those through the bonvoyage department, you have to call at least 1 week before the cruise. You have to call, its not on the website. You pay more than you would pay in the store at home, but cheaper than buying drinks at the bar and worth the convenience if you dont mind the price.

Thanks for the input....I also am going with a group of girls..not as big as yours!! :eek: I am so looking forward to going...no hubbies, no kids, no phones, no business!!! Ahhhhhh!!

Have a great time!!!:D

Thats us!! no hubbies, no kids, no nothing... if your going with several people you could consider splitting the cost? Thats what I did and it worked really well.. you can call the Bon Voyage dept and find out the prices of various things.. like the grey goose vodka is 60 and the absolute is 40 so I went for the absolute because since we will be mixing i didnt think the extra 20 for the grey goose was really necessary... you can definately try carrying on, its done a lot.. .but its a risk... i consider it a small risk and i was prepared to bring a bottle this time but no one else wanted to take that risk, they are all first time cruisers and were scared of getting in trouble, and they offered to all chip in the money so it actually works out better for me :)

We are still bringing coke and bottled water on board. Also bringing some cheap plastic pitchers from the party store to get mixers, juice etc from the lido deck.

One thing with the soda card, you can only get one soda at a time, you have to drink a lot of soda to make it worth it, and the drinks tend to be small and sometimes you run into bad attitudes from staff or they tend to ignore you for the "paying" customers... you might consider bringing on a case or two of coke since soda IS allowed.

We are doing pinapple jello with malibu coconut room at the request of one of the cruisers... Im also bringing strawberry jello...

We are gonna make the shots as soon as we can get in to the room and then have them set up for that night or next day if needed.

I ordered 1L bottles of Absolute, Malibu Coconut Rum, Bacardi Select and 1800 tequilla...

wonder if we can do lime jello with the 1800 tequilla...

Also one of the girls ordered a case of beer...

Then we are carrying on water, soda, and some margarita mix. along with jello mix, plastic cups, jello shot mini cups, room decorations for three rooms... gosh am I gonna have room for clothes? LOL

What is the cost of a case of beer?

What is the cost of a case of beer?

She paid $109... $55 for a 1L bottle of Malibu Rum and $54 for a 12 pack of beer, I dont know what kind of beer... at 4.50 a beer its definately a LOT more than you would pay in the store, but the same as what you would pay at the bar I think... she had toyed with replacing beer cans for coke cans in a very carefully opened coke case and sealing it back up... but she decided it wasnt worth the trouble..

• 4 months later...
So.. this is a first for me... we are going on Fascination on Oct 19 all girls group... we are leaving our hubbies and kids home and gonna spend the whole weekend partying, woohoo, we wont bother people I promise, lol...

Anyway, one of the girls just asked me, can we make jello shots... at first I said uhh... no... were on a cruise.. lol

But then I started thinking about it... and now I dont see why not...

Originally I had each girl responsible for bringing one bottle each onboard so we could set up bar... no one wanted to do that so instead we ended up with each person paying $40 cash to me and then me buying whatever I thought we would need from Carnival, more expensive yep, but a lot less hastle especially since everyone chipped in $40 each.

So im thinking... jello shots... you need jello powder, hot water, alcohol, little cups, and a fridge... well, we have at least one fridge in the cat 12... we will have alcohol.... we can bring jello powder and little cups... so all we need is hot water which we can get on the lido from where you make tea...

sounds like it would actually work... anyone see any holes in this plan? Anyone know anyone thats ever done it?

Im thinking of getting two cheap plastic jugs from party city and putting those in my bag... that way we can use one to mix the jello and also can use it to get a jug of juice or punch to make drinks in the bar.. I mean.. cabin...

I'm going to do a tiki bar theme with my decorations.

Just order 2 pots of tea from roomservice...they will bring you the hot water and tea bags...use the hot water and your set! :)

Please don't bring a coffee pot onboard...the worse thing that can happen on a ship is a fire, and that is the only reason they ban coffee makers, irons, candles, etc in the rooms. They are looking out for the safety of all of us.

Some of my favorite vacations ever are our yearly "girl" trips. We've done Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Chicago, outer banks, and local concerts. The kids are now addicted to cruising, so I can't go on a ship without them. My girls and I have it down to an art. We always say we're not going to talk about what goes on on the trips when we get home, but we always end up talking endlessly about things to the point that the men don't want to hear another story. Hope your girls are as awesome as mine and that you have the time of your lives. I know I thank God for my friends.

Lucy, where did you get the "Suck & Blow" containers? Thanks to the OP for posting this thread. I was thinking on my last cruise how I would like to have a jello shooter ... it never crossed my mind that I could do this myself. I will give it a try on my next cruise. Please people keep posting!

Thats a great idea about the ziploc.... although my friend Trisha is sold on her tiny cups with their tiny lids, lol- I dont know that the staff will care... I dont know... Ive been on a dozen cruises, half of them on the Fascination.. Ive never found the staff to be overly involved if they dont have to be.. I'm willing to take the chance on that... alternatively we plan to be overly nice to the steward and we are paying Carnival for the alcohol so I'm sure it wont be a problem to get some one to give us a pitcher of juice if we need it...

You can bring those rum runner packs and in the morning fill one of the big ones up with OJ or the other tropical one the pass-o-guava or whatever it is. Then just put it in your refrig for later that day. They are plastic and seal well and easy to put in your suitcase.

http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/

Lucy, where did you get the "Suck & Blow" containers? Thanks to the OP for posting this thread. I was thinking on my last cruise how I would like to have a jello shooter ... it never crossed my mind that I could do this myself. I will give it a try on my next cruise. Please people keep posting!

I ordered them online... sent them to a friend and he made them since I was flying. They were FABULOUS!! If you forward a few minutes in the video in my signature you can see them in action :p They were a hit and are now a tradition for sure!!!

Do you absolutely NEED a fridge to make jello shots? I have a balcony (non suite) on the Upper deck of the Spirit. Do I get a fridge?

You don't need a fridge if you want them to be liquid :p But in order to "gel or jell :p", they need to be refrigerated, or put in a cooler surrounded by ice. Believe me, they turn to liquid pretty quick and can get pretty messy... at least in the Caribbean sun :p

All that preparation in such a confined area sounds like a hassle to me. I wouldn't want to be the one in charge of making them. Just bring some rum and coke, make it in less than a minute, and go out and enjoy the ship!

All that preparation in such a confined area sounds like a hassle to me. I wouldn't want to be the one in charge of making them. Just bring some rum and coke, make it in less than a minute, and go out and enjoy the ship!

Well that's no fun :p I agree that making them on the ship would be a hassle... which is why we make them ahead of time. A cruise without jello shots???? :eek: :eek:

Well that's no fun :p I agree that making them on the ship would be a hassle... which is why we make them ahead of time. A cruise without jello shots???? :eek: :eek:

Can I come pregame with you all? :o

Can I come pregame with you all? I have no problem DOING the shots...just too lazy to be the one to make them :o

Can I come pregame with you all? I have no problem DOING the shots...just too lazy to be the one to make them :o

Sure! Come and join us :D I know what you mean... I don't have trouble making them, but getting them on the plane and then keeping them cold is a hassle. Last year, keeping them from liquifying was a task, and in the end we were doing liquid jello shots :p The fridges on Carnival are not cold enough, and we couldn't get the steward to put enough ice on them. So it's best to do them ALL the first day :D

Just curious....you said you were getting everything from carnival. how are you doing that?

You can pre-order liquor from Carnival... so I'm assuming that is what the OP was referring to... not the packets of jello :)

I bought the "suck and blow" jello shooter containers, we are making them and packing them in ice... we'll make more during the week using a coffee maker for boiling water, and a cooler full of ice... we generally have a few in the group that make them at home, pack them in ice and bring them as well in the little cups with the little lids :D

Say it ain't so. LOL Never heard of them, how do they work??

I'll have to look into those Suck and Blows. Sounds like fun. :)

You can order them on line, or I found them at Spencers gifts at the mall. I mean that's what I have heard. :D

Archived