What is dressy? Need help please.

Please don't flame me for this - I may not be the same person as you are, and you are entitled to your own opinion, but that doesn't mean it can't be polite and constructive.

That being said, I need your help! My fiancee and I are going on our first cruise in May on Royal Caribbean to the Western Caribbean. I was reading up on what to pack, and I noticed there is a formal dress code for dinner it seems.

Is this formal, or semi-formal, or casual, or smart casual? I don't understand.

My fiancee grew up in a very poor environment, and so his family NEVER dressed for occassions unless it was a nice pair of jeans and a top of some sort. They just didn't have the money to buy dress clothes, period. It has taken some SERIOUS work getting him up to speed with the rest of the world, but we're still not there.

So, you can imagine how hard it is explaining to someone that it is proper to wear a collar shirt out to dinner, that you really should own more than one pair of slacks, and yes, you really must wear a jacket and tie to a wedding.

What is the dress for dinner then? I obviously have clothes for formal night (suit or we can rent a tux no big deal) but just every night dinner clothes, do you have any suggestions? Can he wear jeans, or should we go buy a whole week's of dress clothes? Does he have to wear a collar shirt, or are nice pressed tee shirts okay?

Obviously I want us to be dressed appropriately, but not sure just what 'appropriate' is defined as.

If you read this far, thanks! Maybe you can tackle what can be worn for every day sight seeing, etc. Jean shorts? Khaki shorts? Are sneakers okay?

Thanks in advance...

Don't worry. I nobody on this board will flame you for asking a sincere question and requesting advice. The folks who say "I don't care what you think, I'm doing what I want, and it's a stupid dress code anyways" are the ones who spark the heated discussions :D .

That said, I can't offer specific advice since I've never been on the cruiseline you are sailing. But I would guess that for the non formal nights that dress pants and a collared shirt would be the minimum to encourage him to wear. A different pair of pants for every night shouldn't be necessary, just a couple of pairs plus shirts for every night (assortment of long sleeved dress shirts, collared golf shirts, sport shirts). You might bring a tie or two just in case he decides after seeing everyone else, that the dress shirt and tie make him feel more in sync with the rest of the diners.

we have been on the adventurer of the seas, as well as on the celebrity and princess lines. usually, jeans are not worn for dinner in the dining room. a pair of dress pants or two interchangeable with collared long or short sleeve shirts are fine. on formal evenings, most people wear dark suits or tux's, but my husband and our friends on most formal evenings will wear a silk tee shirt under a suit. there is no problem with that dress code as it is acceptable according to each of the cruise lines. further more, in the carribbean the dress seems to be less formal these days as it was years ago or as formal as on european trips.

Hi:) no flames from me either....lets see for casual evenings......I would suggest a pair or kahkis and a nice golf shirt....Does he own for example, a pair of blue and khaki colored slacks? Bring them both for the casual evenings.....

A suggestion for not spending a lot of $$$....check out consignment shops in your area......most carry a nice selection of mens sport coats nowadays. You might want to bring one sport coat.

I agree with the previous poster...a few different shirts.....If you are going to to the Caribbean, (my opinion here) I would say leave the jeans at home...it can be really humid and jeans can really be hot. But I don't think you need to buy a whole new set of clothing for him for dressing up.

You asked about a pressed T-shirt. Personally, I would say stick with a golf shirt (the collar makes it look nicer, even if the T-shirt is pressed).

Most guys do own a suit..and you can find sales all the time:). One nice dark suit with a nice tie and long sleeved shirt will do just fine on the formal evenings.

Hope this helps you a bit....and have a wonderful cruise:) and congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals too:D

You asked a great question for a first time cruiser. Here's how they define the various dress codes and what you should wear for each. BTW, I don't think you're going to have informal nights on your ship, just formal and resort casual, but I'll include all the categories

Formal: Men: Tux or dark suit. At the VERY minimum dress pants, dress shirt, tie and sport jacket. Women: Long gown, dressy cocktail dress, evening pants and a sparkly or lacy top or jacket.

Informal/Semi Formal: Men: Dress pants, dress shirt and jacket (some ships require a tie on informal nights and some don't). Women: Dinner suit, dress (the kind you wear to a better restaurant or a nice wedding), pantsuit.

Casual/Resort Casual: Men: Casual slacks like dockers or khaki, collared shirt (just to give an idea I'll throw out brand names like Izod or Penguin), or Hawaiian print shirts. No t-shirts even if they are clean and ironed. Women: Slacks and tops, capris, sundresses.

Jeans are never acceptable for dinner at night with the possible exception of the first night if you don't get your luggage on time, and on the last night because you have to pack and put your bags out early. But it's plainly written in all the daily papers that shorts, jeans and t-shirts are not allowed in the main dining room for dinner.

mbuenzli - Thanks so much! I've seen so many nasty people respond to just a simple question..I was holding my breath on this one! :p

etrainer1 - Oh, cool, that works then. What is a silk tee shirt? :confused: I have never heard of them? He already has one very nice suit (a must for occasions) so I think I'll go get some shirt / tie combinations for him to wear, too.

Lois R - That's a great idea! I know he's got particular taste, so in the end, if I have to spend the money to make him *feel* good and happy with what he's wearing, I'll defintely spend it. I think I'll tell him the too-hot-for-jeans excuse as a reason he can't bring them. ;)

kitty9 - Thanks so much - you clarified alot for me! It gives me a good excuse to go out and buy some nice clothes that he always seen no point for before.

Thanks everyone, you've been sooo helpful!

Just an idea if you have time before the cruise. Check out ebay. You can get some great new stuff for cheap, if you watch it. I have gotten all our evening gowns there (new or used once) and none was over $30. Just make sure you get all the measurements from the seller. The store "thetuxxman" on ebay sells (buy now) inexpensive tuxes (jackets $14.95, pants $19.95 or $24.95, shirts $5, etc). But watch the S&H cost, and ask for combined shipping for multiple items.

Good luck

etrainer1 - Oh, cool, that works then. What is a silk tee shirt? :confused: I have never heard of them? He already has one very nice suit (a must for occasions) so I think I'll go get some shirt / tie combinations for him to wear, too.

a silk tee shirt which is not your typical undressy cotton tees, are actually made for suits. on long island they are quite popular, and we have gone on 6 cruises wearing it. my husband and our friends always get nice compliments on those nights. it is just a refreshing change from a bottoned down shirt and tie, which my husband feels is an uncomfortable noose around his neck. he does bring one shirt and one tie, and sometimes wears it for one of the formal nights. but my point is, that you do not need to spend lots of money on clothes that you will never wear ordinarily in your lifestyle at home. so this is a nice and comfortable alternative to formal dressing. i got blasted on the holland america cruise board for this. but the HAL rep on the phone said to me that this is fine, as they tend to get dressed less "formally" on carribbean cruises these days. however, we prefer to dress even on casual nights because we enjoy our clothing style, which we do wear at home as well. have fun, and dont get so caught up in the clothing aspect of your vacation. you are supposed to have fun and relax! ENJOY!!!

Your choice of nice shirt / tie combinations is very smart, and will cover formal and smart casual just fine.

(Please forget the silk tee shirt pushed by etrainer, who says... "they are popular on long island." 'Nuff said. Your fiance will never wear it again.)

Old Navy nice, good cotton golf shirts (polo type, without the $30 logo) for $10-12. Great with khakis for casual nights.

Have a wonderful time!

Your choice of nice shirt / tie combinations is very smart, and will cover formal and smart casual just fine.

(Please forget the silk tee shirt pushed by etrainer, who says... "they are popular on long island." 'Nuff said. Your fiance will never wear it again.)

Old Navy nice, good cotton golf shirts (polo type, without the $30 logo) for $10-12. Great with khakis for casual nights.

Have a wonderful time!

WHO MADE YOU THE FASHION POLICE???:eek: SILK TEE SHIRTS GO WITH DRESSY AND SMART CASUAL.. IT HAS MORE PURPOSES THAN A SHIRT AND TIE. THIS MAN IS LOOKING TO SAVE MONEY!

WHO MADE YOU THE FASHION POLICE???:eek: SILK TEE SHIRTS GO WITH DRESSY AND SMART CASUAL.. IT HAS MORE PURPOSES THAN A SHIRT AND TIE. THIS MAN IS LOOKING TO SAVE MONEY!

Well, then why are you suggesting she spend money on silk tee shirts? She already said she was bringing a suit and some nice shirt/tie combos. So her fiance will be dressed just fine for Formal and smart casual nights. I was suggesting inexpensive shirts for casual night. They are very comfortable and look a little nicer than a tee shirt.

Are you suggesting she can buy silk tee shirts for less than $10-12? (I'm referring to new silk tee shirts. ;) )

And, um, who made you the fashion police? :confused:

Well, then why are you suggesting she spend money on silk tee shirts? She already said she was bringing a suit and some nice shirt/tie combos. So her fiance will be dressed just fine for Formal and smart casual nights. I was suggesting inexpensive shirts for casual night. They are very comfortable and look a little nicer than a tee shirt.

Are you suggesting she can buy silk tee shirts for less than $10-12? (I'm referring to new silk tee shirts. ;) )

And, um, who made you the fashion police? :confused:

re-read your rude statement suggesting she doesnt listen to me. who are you to give advice like that? this is a suggestion board and not a police state commanding what people should or should not do! no one has to agree or take anyone's suggestions. but it is rude to criticize anyone's suggestions. i guess some people feel manners are not approriate to use on cruise boards!:eek:

Archived