Cruise fact of the day

awesomemamma

We are taking my 5 kids on their first cruise in Dec. (Elation 5 day). (Ages 8-17) I have been getting them excited by telling them one "fact" each day. For example:

1) There is food available 24 hours a day, and all free! (17 yr old super excited about this one)

2) There is a water slide on the ship!

3) You can eat as many things from the menu as you want! (8 yr. old is excited to try eating lobster, shrimp, and steak all at the same meal)

4) We have an OV, and you can watch for whales!

We have spent whole days looking at pictures of the water slide, pictures of the mini golf, etc.

I am sure the list is endless, but after about 2 weeks I am running out of "facts" I know that you all know much more about this that I do, so if you could help me out with fun facts I would appreciate it. Thanks!

OK, OK, we are dinks (dual income, no kids ... well, actually, one retired now so sinks), but we fell in love with cruising long ago and to be perfectly honest, we try to avoid the cruises filled with kids (for obvious reasons). Even though, we have noticed that some lines go above and beyond in activities for the kids. These are some of the things we have noticed for kids:

- talent shows

- playgrounds (for the 8 yr old - teen centers for the 17 yr old)

- all you can eat , make your own sundae contests (don't know if you want to tell them about this one

- trivia (team trivia --- maybe more fun for adults but lots of fun prizes) oh, yeah, we know those kids are much more knowledgable that we give them credit for

- ceramics

- pool games

- pizza, hot dogs and hamburgers by the pool -- yeah!

- movies (gotta love the movies)

- tours while in port (reduced prices for children)

I hope this helps and hope you have a great time!!

Start with the things you can do in port, shopping, beaches, adventures, sleeping in, seeing dolphins along side the ship, Camp Carnival for the younger ones, ping pong and shuffle board on deck, my daughter loves the virgin versions of the foo foo drinks, shows in the evenings (my daughters love them), new friends they will meet, depending on the kids dressing up for dinner and having their photos taken (another one my girls love), deck parties, late night movies in one of the lounges, karaoke, listening to the band on the lido deck.....

Don't know if you have boys or girls but these are some of the experiences with my girls....

These are older figures, but you could give them numbers on the sheer amount of food served each week...

meat and meat products,11,830 pounds

Poultry 3,814 pounds

fish 1,875 pounds

seafood 2,575 pounds

butter and margarine 1,675 poundsf

resh vegetables 137,500 pounds

potatoes 7,750 pounds

watermelon 2,300 pounds

eggs 23,040

dairy 5,500 quarts

sugar 950 pounds

individual sugar packets 24,000

flour 3,150 pounds

ice cream 300 gallons

1) There is food available 24 hours a day, and all free! (17 yr old super excited about this one)

2) There is a water slide on the ship!

3) You can eat as many things from the menu as you want! (8 yr. old is excited to try eating lobster, shrimp, and steak all at the same meal)

4) We have an OV, and you can watch for whales!

5) Large gameroom Arcade

6) Camp Carnival Activites all day long

7) Playstation tournaments

8) Kids Dinner Menu every night

And you can add Dolphins to your #4 facts

One night while watching a good movie in cabin, order room service for everyone.

Fred

Camp Carnival Supervised Activities

Toddlers (2-5): Fun Ship Bingo, Sega ,Cartoon Time, Sponge Painting, Sing-Alongs, Face Painting, Nintendo, Arts & Crafts, Drawing Contests.

Juniors (6-8): Puppet Show, Cookie Decorating, Beach Party, Disney Trivia, T-shirt Painting, Nintendo, Outdoor Games, Sea Animals, Sega.

Intermediate (9-11): Ping-Pong, Video Games, Dance Class, Jewelry Making, Scavenger Hunts, Go Backstage, Photography Workshop, Talent Show.

Teens (12-15): Pool Party, Volley Ball, Pizza Pig-Out, Hairdressing, Talent Show, Slide & Sun, Ping-Pong Tournaments, Photography Workshop, Video Games.

Have you told them about the size of the Elation? jump onto the CCL web site for all the details. Here are some extras, launched 1998/cost somewhere around $250 million to build/theme of ship Greek mythology/there is a complimentary sushi bar in the late afternoon (free so they can try it)/if the 17yr old is a runner, the Sun Deck has a 1/8 mile unobstructed rubberized track. HAVE FUN!

Facts about Cabo San Lucas

Population >50,000 in 2004

Distance to US: 1125 miles

A favorite of pirates for centuries, Cabo began to develop with the introduction of the tuna industry around 1917.

Cabo San Lucas by the Numbers:

Population: 40,000

Average January Temperature: 68

Average July Temperature: 90

Average Annual Rainfall: 7 inches

Average Days of Sun: 350

Facts about Ensenada

Population 370,000

Time Zone GMT/UTC -8 ()

Languages Spanish (official)

Latin American Spanish

Currency Mexican Peso ($)

75 mile drive south of the U.S. border

Size: 52,000 square kilometers

* Population: 400,000

* Time Zone: Pacific Standard Daylight Savings Time

Closest International Airport: Tijuana

Local Economy: Tourism/Business/Port.

if you don't like what you got for dinner, you don't have to eat it! :D (and you can have something else served to you within minutes.)

OR if you LIKED what you had for dinner, you can have it every single night if you want to!!

These are older figures, but you could give them numbers on the sheer amount of food served each week...

meat and meat products,11,830 pounds

Poultry 3,814 pounds

fish 1,875 pounds

seafood 2,575 pounds

butter and margarine 1,675 poundsf

resh vegetables 137,500 pounds

potatoes 7,750 pounds

watermelon 2,300 pounds

eggs 23,040

dairy 5,500 quarts

sugar 950 pounds

individual sugar packets 24,000