Thanks all! I got Scavi tickets!

By using the advice given on this board, I requested tickets for the Scavi Tour at the Vatican. I hadn't heard anything (not even the automated reply) so was getting ready to try another approach.

Imagine my delight when I got a response today telling me I have tickets (As soon as I send them my 20 Euro). I am delighted. They day and time they sent are perfect.

I think what surprises me the most is that we are still 7 months away from our trip. I wasn't expecting a firm answer until much closer!

I'm so giddy, I'm not sure how I am going to get any work done today!

Denise

FYI - After you send them your CC info, it will take another little while to get the final confirmation - don't despair, it will eventually show up in your email inbox. Seemed to take a little longer than the original request for us.

:) my scavi tour is Dec 3rd and have taken the advice of another cruiser..I am reading a book "the bones of st peter" it is fasinating and gives great insight to what you will be seeing:)

By using the advice given on this board, I requested tickets for the Scavi Tour at the Vatican. I hadn't heard anything (not even the automated reply) so was getting ready to try another approach.

Imagine my delight when I got a response today telling me I have tickets (As soon as I send them my 20 Euro). I am delighted. They day and time they sent are perfect.

I think what surprises me the most is that we are still 7 months away from our trip. I wasn't expecting a firm answer until much closer!

I'm so giddy, I'm not sure how I am going to get any work done today!

Denise

I was also amazed at how quickly the whole process went for us. Within two days I had the "ok, now you need to pay" email and then two days after that got the sealed in stone confirm. I guess it depends on what time of the year you are going. We'll be there Nov 17th. As a matter of fact, I'm on my way to the bookstore at lunch today to find the bones of st peter book! Joe is just beside himself with joy at getting to do this tour. I figured I had waited too long to even request tickets so this will be a real treat!

:) I am reading a book "the bones of st peter" it is fasinating and gives great insight to what you will be seeing:)

Thanks! I will look for that book! I love reading info before I go somewhere.

Congrats to the others who got the tour also!

Denise

You will really enjoy your Scavi Tour. It was the highlight of our precruise stay in Rome. Its not as claustrophobic as I imagined but it can be confining and or course no windows. Its very well done and climate controlled. Make sure you have no bags at all. When we were there they had no storage at the Scavi office so we had to go clear across St. Peters Square to the storage desk and almost didn't get back on time.

Enjoy.

I, too, was suprised to have recieved tickets 6 months before we were to arrive in Rome. The book, The Bones of St Peter, is available on line from the Vatican. http://www.saintpetersbasilica.org/Necropolis/JW/TheBonesofStPeter-1.htm

You might also try a google search for St Peter's Bones and see a number of alternative theories about the veracity of the find. One intereting one was

http://www.aloha.net/~mikesch/peters-jerusalem-tomb.htm , which indicates that the "real" bones are in Jerusalem.

At any rate, seeing the necropolis will be interesting.

I also got an e-mail for June. The tickets are for 9:15 AM and my ship arrives at 6:00 am. Will I have enough time to get to the tour? If not any suggestions?

Thanks

ML

Yes you will. But to ensure that you get there on time, splurge and hire a cab. Rome Cabs (Stephano) is good as are others. That way, you can have them pick you up at a specified time (7:30 is recommended) and you should be in Rome by 8:30. You must be at the Scavi Office 15 minutes ahead of time. If you get there too early, just pick up a latte and sit in the square - there's something to be said for relaxing in St. Peter's Square. We got there about 45 minutes early and just waited. Don't risk the train or ship's shuttle.

Thank you Bunnyette. Should I arrange a car before hand? Did you enjoy the Freedom? I sail on this vessel both in Feb. 08 and June 08.

ML

yes, pre-arrange a car. I used Rome Cabs - they are great. Then you know how much you need to pay.

A cheap alternative but you must investigate things before you leave is to get the train and get off at San Pietro train station (Not termini). But go to the trenitalia website and check the schedules first. Aim to catch the earliest train you can. You need to take a shuttle from the ship and then walk 10 minutes to the train station - 20 minutes total. Give yourself about 1.5 hours to get to Rome. A day pass which gets you on the trains, buses and subway is 9 euros. This will require advance planning and nerves of steel. Again, plan to arrive well before the tour starts. You could just get a cab to the Vatican and take the train back.

Again, better to be sitting and waiting in St. Peter's Square then racing through it. You cannot bring any backpacks into the tour with you. A great site with tons of info is www.stpetersbasilica.org. Or do a search if this link doesn't work. They give great directions to the Scavi Office (Ufficio Scavi).

We did enjoy the Freedom - a few quibbles but overall a great time. I posted a review of our trip in Member Reviews.

Hello,

I sent an e-mail requesting a time change and they immediately changed my time to 1:45 PM. I am very happy about that.

How did everyone pay? Did you send your credit card info by e-mail, fax, or telephone? I am concerned about sending it either through a fax or e-mail. I may buy a phone card to call it in. Am I the only one concerned about sending credit card info through e-mail which is not a secure site?

Thanks

ML

Hello,

I sent an e-mail requesting a time change and they immediately changed my time to 1:45 PM. I am very happy about that.

How did everyone pay? Did you send your credit card info by e-mail, fax, or telephone? I am concerned about sending it either through a fax or e-mail. I may buy a phone card to call it in. Am I the only one concerned about sending credit card info through e-mail which is not a secure site?

Thanks

ML

Not to worry, I sent my credit card info by e-mail to them. No problems at all. Great news about the time change. Take the train...only 9 euros for a day pass - better then 100 euros for a taxi! But again, give yourself time to get to the Scavi office. Present yourself to the Swiss Guard at around 1:25 pm and definately check out the website I noted in my earlier post - the directions are spot on:D

You will be totally in awe at what you will be seeing. It was the most spiritual time in Italy for me and then standing in front of St. Francis's tomb. Absorb everything around you. I was brought to tears. Try to go up into the Bascilia and as you head down the aisle to the main alter, to the right will be the Adoration Chapel. There will be very large velvet drapes. Make the hand symbol for prayer and they will let you in to see the Monstrance. No talking,pics etc. This is the utmost place of worship and absolutely beautiful. Tour guides normally do not bring you into that area, so if your with a group tell them you'll be back in 10 minutes and go in.

Enjoy Rome! My favorite city in Europe.

Chesie

Archived