Cancelation and receiving credit

EricaLovesCats

Hello,

My husband and I were booked for the Miracle in November, but now we can no longer go. My husband's brother died tragically yesterday and my dh is really devestated.

I called Carnival to see what our options were. She said if we canceled by the 12th we would lose $600 ($300 per person) and any later we would lose it all. She mentioned writing a letter to Carnival, explaining the situation and that they might give us credit towards another cruise in the amount we lose. This would be great, since we love Carnival and will eventually book another. But she said that isn't a for sure thing, but they have been known to give some people credit.

Anyway, the main question is, was anyone here successful with writing a letter and receiving credit towards another cruise?

Please don't "yell at me" for not buying travelers insurance. For now on, I will. :(

Hello,

My husband and I were booked for the Miracle in November, but now we can no longer go. My husband's brother died tragically yesterday and my dh is really devestated.

I called Carnival to see what our options were. She said if we canceled by the 12th we would lose $600 ($300 per person) and any later we would lose it all. She mentioned writing a letter to Carnival, explaining the situation and that they might give us credit towards another cruise in the amount we lose. This would be great, since we love Carnival and will eventually book another. But she said that isn't a for sure thing, but they have been known to give some people credit.

Anyway, the main question is, was anyone here successful with writing a letter and receiving credit towards another cruise?

Please don't "yell at me" for not buying travelers insurance. For now on, I will. :(

I hope this doesnt sound heartless, but have you considered not cancelling? Depending on when the cruise is, you have at least 4-5 weeks between now and the cruise... a get away from the day to day might be just what you guys need by then?

Thankfully Ive never had to cancel a cruise until now actually one girl cancelled on a group cruise that I booked and now I have until Wednesday to request a refund or get someone else to go instead...

Also have you tried that? I was told I can change the name on the ticket for $50 per person... do you know any one else that would buy the tickets from you? Even if you gave them a break, you might be able to recover more than what Carnival would give you...

Hello,

I have never cancelled myself, but on the norm I have seen that about 90% of the time they will extend a future cruise credit if you cancel and write a letter, especially if its for a reason such as yours.

Hope this helps.

I lost my brother 14 years ago. I just wish that I would have been able to take a cruise about 6 weeks after he passed. It would have really helped for me to just get away. Why don't you consider this? You will really need a get away. Trust me.

Please accept my condolences. You will be in our prayers.

I agree with the consensus - you and your husband may need to get away in the near future after such a devastating loss. Think of what your husband's brother would have wanted. Would he have wanted you to cancel a trip that was already planned? If it were me, I would want my love ones to go ahead and remember the good times we had & think of me on that cruise. It's not selfish to take that trip - it may just be healing, especially for your husband.

I'm very sorry for your family's loss. And if you decide not to go, I certainly hope Carnival will give you a credit.

I was told I can change the name on the ticket for $50 per person... do you know any one else that would buy the tickets from you? Even if you gave them a break, you might be able to recover more than what Carnival would give you...

First of all, so sorry for your loss.

Getting someone to go in your place for the $50.00 pp name change won't work for you because one of the persons originally booked in the cabin must remain. You can't sell both berths.

First- sorry about your loss.

Secondly- The other guest in my cabin cancelled on our Sept. 3rd cruise about 2 weeks before we were due to leave. I called Carnival and cancelled him. I paid for his cruise, etc. They told me to write a letter. I did..and got a certificate for a future cruise. Here comes the kicker though..

You have to send them a request of cruises you would be interested in going on. At most, 2 weeks before the crusie they will let you know if you have been approved for this sailing. Who can plan a cruise in 2 weeks? How am I supposed to set up babysitters, travel arrangements, time off work, etc. not knowing if I'm actually going to go or not?!

Anyone have any insight on this?

First- sorry about your loss.

Secondly- The other guest in my cabin cancelled on our Sept. 3rd cruise about 2 weeks before we were due to leave. I called Carnival and cancelled him. I paid for his cruise, etc. They told me to write a letter. I did..and got a certificate for a future cruise. Here comes the kicker though..

You have to send them a request of cruises you would be interested in going on. At most, 2 weeks before the crusie they will let you know if you have been approved for this sailing. Who can plan a cruise in 2 weeks? How am I supposed to set up babysitters, travel arrangements, time off work, etc. not knowing if I'm actually going to go or not?!

Anyone have any insight on this?

It really depends on the situation. I think what you are referring to is compensation for having to pay the single supplement, which is different than writing a letter to inquire about a penalty credit.

On the norm, penalty credits are determined by the reason given for cancelling, the amount of time before the cruise they cancel, and whether or not Carnival was able to resell their cabin, or if they had to take a loss on it.

With their situation, if they cancel 6 weeks prior to sailing, there is a very good chance that Carnival will be able to resell their cabin and recoup their "losses." In that case, they would probably receive a cruise credit in the amount of their penalty.

In your case, you would have had to pay the single supplement anyway even if you hadnt been bringing another person with you, but things happen, so they extended to you what they call a space available cruise. Yes, this does require some flexibility on your part. But at the same time, you still paid the same price any other person would have paid if they were traveling alone.

Hope this makes sense.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I don't know your situation, but if it were us, my husband and I we would not cancel the cruise. We would vacation as planned. I am extremly close to my siblings and I know they would not want me to miss our vacation. Now if for religious puposes you are unable to vacation after the death that is a different story. Like I said I don't know your situation.

First of all I am very sorry for your loss.

We had to cancel our cruise on the day it was to sail. Medical emergency with my husband. It is not quite the same situation ,but I wrote to Carnival and explained our situation and they gave us a full credit for our cruise. We did not have insurance either, we will definitely get it next time. So it wouldn't hurt to write a letter to them.

Don't cancel. My son died 4 years ago in a terrible accident. He was 22, and you can imagine the pain. 4 weeks later my pvp called me with a great deal sailing in a week, my first thought was, No, how can I do something fun when my life has been turned upside down. Well ultimately we did go and it was just what we needed at the time. I think you and your husband should go. Just my 2 cents hope it helps.

We cancelled without insurance and were given credit. I had a miscarriage 2 days before we were set to sail and doctors forbid me to travel incase of severe bleeding. We wrote a letter explaining, sent a doctors note and they gave us credit. It's only on certain ships at certain times when they are not to full capacity. You have to call each week and see which ones are "released". It actually worked out better because we cancelled a 4 day cruise and actually sailed on an 8 day! You can choose whatever is released regardless of the days you paid for. You do have to repay port charges though.

Good luck, sorry for your loss.

Julie

I am so sorry for your loss.

The cruise may be exactly what your DH will need.

I lost my husband on 6/3/07 and things were so overwhelming that my DD and I took a last minute weekend cruise a few weeks later. It was good to get away and regroup. When we got back things were still crazy but the trip help. I'm still on an emotional rollercoaster but just take it one day at a time.

First sorry for such a devastating loss.

My partner lost his dad 3 weeks prior to our recent cruise. This was a very stressful time for all of us. This cruise was exactly what he needed, it was like this distraction was his saving grace. He came back from the cruise well on his way to healing.

Only you know what is right for you, but I would suggest like most people don't cancel. Anyone that would think you were being selfish by going on this cruise are full of crap.

You have enough to deal with right now, you shouldn't be worried about a cruise that is a month away.

Just an opinion, do with it what you will.

MAC

You all are so kind, thank you.

Yes, I did suggest to my husband that maybe we should still go, that it would help him feel better. He really seemed upset and aggetated that I even mentioned the idea. So I will just go ahead and cancel, and hope we receive credit. Even though it sounds like the credit is space available, you don't get much notice, etc, that is okay. When he is ready, we will try again.

Again, everyone was really helpful and kind. Thank you.

Erica,

I'm so sorry for the loss of your brother-in-law.

I agree with the others that said you should still go, but I can understand you not wanting to further upset your husband. I hope you are able to get credit on a future cruise. Good luck, and hang in there.

My condolenses and heart felt prayers are with you and yours at this sad time in your life.

I too have suffered a loss such as yours , I was 26 when my 27yr old brother died from a tragic accident and I felt lost. About a month after I went on vacation (not a cruise) with my mother. I cant tell you how much it helped us heal and remember all the great times.

I think your husband can't even think right now never mind talking about the cruise. The loss is to fresh. I would not mention it for a week or so. He might have come to terms with it a little by then, and if not - then you could cancel. It sounds to me like you could take the credit from Carnival now or LATER. Time does heal !

Sincerely, I hope this helps.....its just my humble opinion:o

Archived