Levi Baron tour

Debby2725

If at all possible, wear a bathing suit under some quick dry clothing and you will be fine!! You will enjoy it all the more.

We were in Dominica the first week of Feb. We booked a private tour with Levi's guide Garry. Garry was just fabulous and made our visit to Dominica the favorite of all of the islands.

We planned the Roseau Valley Best. We had to be flexible because there were some pretty bad rains that made the gorge and swimming in the pool at the base of Middleham unsafe. Not a problem, we added in the botanical gardens, another lake, champagne Beach instead.

The hike to Middleham was challenging, but well worth the hike. Garry is very knowledgeable about not only the history, flora, and fauna of his own island, but also global issues and world politics. He is a great conversationalist and this only made our day that much more stimulating.

The snorkeling at Champagne Beach is very awesome and I am glad Garry talked us into it!! My favorite part was the sulfur springs..which are best experienced in your bathing suit. I relaxing rest in those after the hike up to Middleham was just what I needed to round out a perfect day!!

If you happen to see Garry, call him Danny...since we did the first half of the day...he may just remember us and give a good laugh!!

Here's what I brought and what I forgot (Roseau Valley Best):

Good hiking shoes or old sneakers for Middleham Falls. Bathing suit under your clothes. It's a rain forest. It is going to rain (in our case, downpours, followed by sunshine). There was so much rain right, the falls were amazing (only the most adventurous went down to the water) and the trail was very muddy, making it even more challenging (and messy)!

If you don't want to get soaked, you can wear one of those cheap rain ponchos. You might get soaked anyway, but it gives some protection. I left those in my cabin. Not a problem; the rain felt good and with the rigorous hike, it was actually refreshing.

Wear something around your waist in which you can hold your camera. Amazing photo opps at Middleham Falls.

Water shoes for Titou Gorge. I forgot these in my cabin. Very hard to swim with sneakers. Don't be afraid to ask Levi for the life jackets. I didn't need it, but my son could have used it (he only went in halfway as a result).

Waterproof camera for Titou Gorge. I didn't have one and wish I did. Someone else in my group had one -- waiting for them to send me some pics.

Trafalgar Falls -- wear your hiking shoes again. Much easier than Middleham Falls, but still slippery.

Amazingly, there were no bugs anywhere on this trip. Of course, I had forgotten the bug spray in my cabin anyway. No worries, I didn't need it.

If you're going to make a spa appointment on the ship, make it for after you do this tour. You will need it! But it is a memorable day and I wouldn't have traded it for anything!

I'm thinking about touring with Levi, also. I keep reading that the hike to Middleham Falls is challenging. Can someone define "challenging" for me? Do you need to be in fantastic shape to do this hike? I really want to do it, but am afraid it might be too hard. I'm not a couch potato, but am not in shape to run a marathon, either.

I'm thinking about touring with Levi, also. I keep reading that the hike to Middleham Falls is challenging. Can someone define "challenging" for me? Do you need to be in fantastic shape to do this hike? I really want to do it, but am afraid it might be too hard. I'm not a couch potato, but am not in shape to run a marathon, either.

How can I explain this? There are lots of steps. Small steps. Large steps. Tough on your knees if you have knee problems. Very uphill (you're climbing, climbing, climbing). I definitely felt it in my cardiovascular system. And in my quads. You have to be able to handle footing that is not always "sure." Have some balance.

My kids - 15 and 12 - had no problem. It was harder for DH and me. But we took it as slow as we needed to, with breaks. Levi is WONDERFUL about this. He stays with the slowest person, helping them and encouraging them (he lies too -- "you're almost there"... "just a few more steps..." :cool: ) Safety is the first priority for him. He was great at running up ahead to check on those who were faster, than racing back for those in the back. There were 8 in our group - and we went at different paces - and he managed it all.

I made the mistake of going to the gym on the ship that morning. No need to go on the treadmill if you're going to go up Middleham Falls!

I'm like you -- not a couch potato, not a marathoner. (See my avatar) I will try to post some pictures....

TennisLover is right; you don't have to be a finely-tuned athlete to go on the hike to Middleham Falls. There can be some difficult climbs, and our friend who had knee surgery years ago had some pain, but nothing that bad (she did the whole hike with no problems afterwards). Levi encourages people to rest when they need to, helped everyone through the difficult spots and is always concerned with safety, etc. None of us were marathoners, and, since it's winter, I was in pretty good "couch potato" shape!

I can't stress how spectacular the hike is to the Falls. Here's a couple of pictures of the Falls - one of the top of the Falls, the other is the pool at the bottom:

celebritysummitcruisefeoa0.th.jpg

celebritysummitcruisefeyz7.th.jpg

We did the hike with Tennis lover and her family. It was great!! I did bring all the things she said...no bug spray was needed, rain ponchos- I wore mine for a bit but like Levi says, your gonna get wet at the falls anyhow so why worry. I don't think our disposable waterproof camera will capture the falls at Titiu Gorge...it's barely good enough for snorkeling.(we haven't had them developed yet) I think it's a good idea to keep your camera in a ziplock bag if it's raining and for when your not using it at the falls,maybe even have a dry cloth in your backpack or fanny pack to wipe off your lens. They make the big 2.5 gallon ones for SLR'S. It is an awesome hike.....this tour was probably one of our favorite things we did on the cruise! Levi is very good at what he does!!!

Just to update. Levi did get in touch we me and we're booked for Middleham falls. I can't wait to go!

Thanks Dave and TL for posting the photos!

Would Tevas or other hiking sandals be okay for this hike? Or should I wear my running shoes?

Would Tevas or other hiking sandals be okay for this hike? Or should I wear my running shoes?

Lisa, hiking sandals are your best bet for the hike, since there are some parts where you will be crossing small streams (yes, you may get wet on this ride!) I wore a pair of Columbia hiking sandals, and my wife wore a pair of Tevas that she loved!! She kept raving how comfortable they were. A few in the group wore tennis/running shoes, but since the trail was muddy in parts, they likely ruined them. Another friend of ours wore water shoes and those were fine. The most important thing is that you have a pair of shoes/sandals with a good, sturdy sole that will protect your feet from the rocks and help grip the slippery rocks.

Have a great time - I wish I was going again soon!

Hello Everyone,

My family and I just returned from touring with Levi of Bumping Tours. What could I possibly add to the list of wonderful things that have already been said?? We had a fantastic time. Probably the best tour and tour guide we've ever had. Did the Roseau Valley Best with the exception of skipping the Sulpher Springs so we could snorkel at Champagne Beach. Snorkeling at Champagne was awesome. Would highly recommend that if you're into snorkeling.

I would definately recommend Levi in a heartbeat :) !

We are doing the same exact itinerary in July! Unfortunately, Levi is already booked so we'll be with one of his assistants.

Did you have to pay for a guide at any of the locations or did Levi walk with you? Also, was there any issue with cost at Champagne Beach?

My sister did a private tour with one of Levi's assistants last month and there was a bit of mix-up with their itinerary and they ended up paying for access to Champagne Beach and they also had to pay for a guide to either Trafalgar Falls or Emerald Pool (I don't remember which one she said). Obviously, we're not going to either of those locations, but I am wondering about the locations we're headed to.

Thanks!

The hike to middleham falls was very challenging. I work out and run 5 miles a day, and my legs were killing me the next day. That said, I & older son hiked it in flip flops. I injured my foot week before cruise and wasn't able to wear tennis or hiking shoes. Son wore flip flops cause he forgot to pack tennis shoes. My parents who are 70 years old, did this hike. Yes, we stopped on the way back a few times so they could catch their breath. But they loved this tour. It was the highlight of the trip.

Thanks to all who have posted reviews of Levi's tours - I'm definitely going to contact him! But here's my question - we aren't cruising until October, but I'm so obsessed about planning that I'd like to try to get some things set so that we aren't disappointed if all of the good tour guides are booked (also suffering from the winter blues so planning this makes me feel better). So is it too early to send him a note? Also, we are only 2 people, and I think I read on his website that there is a minimum of 4 people. Will he take our reservation and just combine us with some other folks on the same date? Thanks!

Thanks to all who have posted reviews of Levi's tours - I'm definitely going to contact him! But here's my question - we aren't cruising until October, but I'm so obsessed about planning that I'd like to try to get some things set so that we aren't disappointed if all of the good tour guides are booked (also suffering from the winter blues so planning this makes me feel better). So is it too early to send him a note? Also, we are only 2 people, and I think I read on his website that there is a minimum of 4 people. Will he take our reservation and just combine us with some other folks on the same date? Thanks!

I would book now. I booked with him in early January for a July cruise (about 6 months out) and he was already personally booked, so we'll be using one of his other guides.

My sister booked a 3 person private tour with him, so I don't think the 4 person rule is in stone.

You do not have to have four people, but the charge for a 'private' tour is different. We had a group of two, we were with Garry (Levi's awesome assistant) for about 6-7 hours and we paid $180. We thought it was well worth it because we saw several different sights.

We did the hike to MIddleham, we are not marathoners either. We exercise about 4 days a week at home and are in pretty good shape. One advantage of the private tours are that if you are in good shape and finish faster than with a group, you have time to do other sites. We added in snorkeling when it was not originally planned.

Hope you have a great time!! I would book as soon as possible!

We are in our mid to upper 50's and are in ok shape - overweight, but dieting and exercising! We will be with my mother on this cruise who will be 79 yo. She swims/walks evey day & is probably in as good shape, if not better, than me! However, I know that long hikes involving slippery slopes and big boulders would be out due to knee problems. We love to snorkel and would like to see some of the waterfalls. Are there any of these tours that would fit us?

We have more than a year to 'get in shape' and we're already working at it. However, I want to be realistic with my choices and not plan something over our heads.:)

We are in our mid to upper 50's and are in ok shape - overweight, but dieting and exercising! We will be with my mother on this cruise who will be 79 yo. She swims/walks evey day & is probably in as good shape, if not better, than me! However, I know that long hikes involving slippery slopes and big boulders would be out due to knee problems. We love to snorkel and would like to see some of the waterfalls. Are there any of these tours that would fit us?

We have more than a year to 'get in shape' and we're already working at it. However, I want to be realistic with my choices and not plan something over our heads.:)

Hi Ginny! :)

May I make a suggestion?

Send Levi a copy of your above post. I'll bet that he'll plan something wonderful for your gang!

Thank you. I think I'll do just that! However, I just booked this cruise and we're more than a year out. How far in advance should I contact him? I know this is just too soon.

After reading about these ports on this cruise (Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Dominica & St. Thomas) I'm more excited about this cruise than the 9 night I have coming up next month! All new ports for us except St. Thomas.:)

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the tour we took with Levi's assistant Gary. As it was just the two of us we were able to customize everything to include the things that were most important for us to see. We went to Traflagar Falls and the Emerald Pool, Suphur Springs, Morne Bruce, Mr Nice and cant remember what else. Gary was very very knowledgeable about his beautiful island and as stated elsewhere would hop out of the car to get a sprig of wild lemon-grass or piece from this or that spice plant or tree. ;) He knew all about all the locally grown plant-life thats for sure and shared freely with us as we drove. All in all our favorite tour and Carribean port so far!

Pete & Debbie

• 1 month later...

My wife and I booked a private tour through Levi with another couple from our ship, and we ended up going around for the day with his driver, Gary.

Gary was absolutely fantastic, as many people have already mentioned. He is extremely knowledgable regarding the plants and animals on the island, and was really a fun person to spend the day with. I am really happy we ended up with him for the day - I would recommend him to anyone.