The Dress Code Dilemma

usctrojangal

We were recently on the Oosterdam Alaskan cruise Sept 22-29. I've seen so many threads and confusion about dress codes for the dining room that I wanted to share what I saw on the cruise. My husband rented a tux through HAL for the two formal nights. He looked nice, but I did not see too many men wearing a tux. Lots of men in sports coat and ties or just a sports coat no tie for the formal nights... this of course was for the dining room. I did not see too many women in formal gowns, just sparkly tops with long pants, cocktail dresses, etc. Non-formal nights in the dining room: most men wore slacks and some type of button down shirt (even Hawaiian shirts) and some men wore sports coats even for the non-formal nights. Women wore whatever. Saw lots of people in jeans in the dining room. I even wore capri pants and longer bermuda dressy shorts with heels and didn't look out of place. One night for dinner I walked into the dining room with khaki pants and tennis shoes - I was sea sick and did not care what I was wearing! No one seemed to mind. I realized I brought 3 pairs too many shoes... I am female so what can I say? I also brought a few too many tops. I hope I put some of the dress code fears to rest. Wear what you are comfortable in and use your own discretion. To me it seems people don't get dressed up anymore even when it is asked of them.

We were recently on the Oosterdam Alaskan cruise Sept 22-29. I've seen so many threads and confusion about dress codes for the dining room that I wanted to share what I saw on the cruise. My husband rented a tux through HAL for the two formal nights. He looked nice, but I did not see too many men wearing a tux. Lots of men in sports coat and ties or just a sports coat no tie for the formal nights... this of course was for the dining room. I did not see too many women in formal gowns, just sparkly tops with long pants, cocktail dresses, etc. Non-formal nights in the dining room: most men wore slacks and some type of button down shirt (even Hawaiian shirts) and some men wore sports coats even for the non-formal nights. Women wore whatever. Saw lots of people in jeans in the dining room. I even wore capri pants and longer bermuda dressy shorts with heels and didn't look out of place. One night for dinner I walked into the dining room with khaki pants and tennis shoes - I was sea sick and did not care what I was wearing! No one seemed to mind. I realized I brought 3 pairs too many shoes... I am female so what can I say? I also brought a few too many tops. I hope I put some of the dress code fears to rest. Wear what you are comfortable in and use your own discretion. To me it seems people don't get dressed up anymore even when it is asked of them.

Aloha usctrojangal and Fight On! My wife and I always look forward to formal nights- she may not wear an "evening gown" but always wears a very nice dress worthy of the evening. As for me, I always bring my tux- I haven't worn it for any other occasions except on formal nights on our last few cruises- even on NCL. I have my USC accessories (bow tie, vest, etc.) and sometimes will switch off and wear an aloha print bow tie on the other formal night. We're leaving next week for an eastern Caribbean on the Zuiderdam- my tux is packed & ready to go! Gene

Thank you for your report, usctrojangal.

As has been repeatedly reported on this board, Alaska cruises tend to be a little less formal. This was certainly my experience in 2003, when I was among a minority of men in Tuxedo for formal nights. Thankfully, this is not as common an occurrence on other cruise itineraries -- particularly the longer cruises.

Nevertheless, I'm still pleased to read that most men attempted to abide by the Code by wearing, at least, a jacket and tie, and that some even wore a jacket on Casual Nights.

usctrojangal

Thank you for letting us know who people were dressed on your cruise.

On our back-to-back Alaskan cruises in 2006 on the Statendam, we had quite a few men dressed in Tuxedos. DH wore his. I haven't worn a formal gown in several years. But I do have floor length skirts and a lot of different tops that I do wear.

Archived