Shave Ice question

Ladyarli

Aloha all those who have cruised Hawaii before! We are not renting a car, but I would like to get shave ice while in Hawaii. Will those in the know please answer:

Where can we get shave ice in either Waikiki, or near the cruise dock in Hilo, Kona, Kahului or Lihue? We are taking a tour while on O'ahu that goes to the north shore, but I have no idea whether or not we will be stopping in Hale'iwa. I'd sure like to go to Matsumoto's again, but I don't think I could talk my group into renting a car just for that. Thank you in advance.

In Kona...there is a great place called Scandinavian Shave Ice (strange name, I know!!) just steps from the tender pier. Just cross the street from the pier and walk to your right a block or two and you will see it. You will also see plenty of folks walking around enjoying their shave ice...so just ask them to point you in the right direction. Enjoy!!

I also had shave ice in Kona. When you get off the pier, you see shops on each corner. Go to the one on the right side of the street and it is in there next to UFO parasailing offices (not the UFO on the water at the pier).

I have to say I wasn't at all impressed with it though. We threw away 3/4 of it. That is what was left after it kept landing on me while trying to eat it. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. A very expensive snow cone IMO.

I also had shave ice in Kona. When you get off the pier, you see shops on each corner. Go to the one on the right side of the street and it is in there next to UFO parasailing offices (not the UFO on the water at the pier).

I have to say I wasn't at all impressed with it though. We threw away 3/4 of it. That is what was left after it kept landing on me while trying to eat it. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. A very expensive snow cone IMO.

What you are describing is not "shave ice" it's actually a snow cone. Real shave ice is exactly what it's called - shaved ice, and not from a machine. Watch carefully for these and stay away. The real deal is when they load a block of ice onto a machine that spins it with a large blade that "shaves" the ice.

The best one we found was in Lahaina, just of Front street. Only$2.75.

• Administrators
What you are describing is not "shave ice" it's actually a snow cone. Real shave ice is exactly what it's called - shaved ice, and not from a machine. Watch carefully for these and stay away. The real deal is when they load a block of ice onto a machine that spins it with a large blade that "shaves" the ice.

The best one we found was in Lahaina, just of Front street. Only$2.75.

I'd be in trouble if I lived in Hawaii -- I loved the shave ice! :) I thought it was pretty reasonable -- a small at Matsumoto's, with ice cream, was only $1.25. It's much finer grained than a "snow cone," and the syrups they use are really different and flavorful, not just "sweet" which is how I think of ANY flavor snow cone at a fair, theme park, etc. We didn't stop at Scandinavian in Kona, but saw some people with the shave ices and they looked totally yummy to me. Hmmmm, wonder if SO would "buy" that I need to go back to Hawaii next summer so I can have a shave ice? :)

Ours was actually shave ice as you described. A big block of ice on a machine that was spun and the ice was slivers of ice that would not "clump" together so it made a horrible mess all over everything. Every time I would try to get a spoon of it, lots of slivers of ice would fall off and onto my lap lol. They did have a lot of flavors and they seemed tasty but we paid about $4 each for them and I wasn't impressed so I thought it was a waste of money. Both DH & me felt it was a waste of money. Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

I'd be in trouble if I lived in Hawaii -- I loved the shave ice! :) I thought it was pretty reasonable -- a small at Matsumoto's, with ice cream, was only $1.25. It's much finer grained than a "snow cone," and the syrups they use are really different and flavorful, not just "sweet" which is how I think of ANY flavor snow cone at a fair, theme park, etc. We didn't stop at Scandinavian in Kona, but saw some people with the shave ices and they looked totally yummy to me. Hmmmm, wonder if SO would "buy" that I need to go back to Hawaii next summer so I can have a shave ice? :)

Michelle that's a great price. It would be interesting to see what other places charge for the same thing. Is this the one with ice cream?

I've read a few different things.

Thanks

• Administrators
Michelle that's a great price. It would be interesting to see what other places charge for the same thing. Is this the one with ice cream?

I've read a few different things.

Thanks

The small at Matsumoto's was $1.25 without ice cream; $1.50 with. For an extra .25 you could get a plastic cone holder thingie to help catch drips. :)

Where can we get shave ice in either Waikiki, or near the cruise dock in Hilo, Kona, Kahului or Lihue?

We were just in Hawaii last week on The Norwegian Sun. My DW is addicted to shave ice. :rolleyes: Most of the places we found were onlu accesable by car. She did find that one of the best shave ice was within walking distance when you dock in Nawiliwili , Kauai (Lihue). It is a small trailer in front of the Anchor Cove shopping center. I believe there is a free shuttle bus that will take you from the dock to Anchor Cove.

Jim

Since this is sort of a Kauai food thread...If you are in Nawiliwili on a weekend be sure to stop by WalMart in Lihue. There is a stand out front selling fresh Malasadas, sort of a doughnut thing. They are super good. We were just on Kauai for a week and stumbled on to this stand. A couple of days later the "Best of Kauai" was published in the local paper (The Garden Isle). Malasadas are apparently a real big deal there. The WalMart location was voted #1. We went out and tried the #2 and #3 places. They were a totally different thing (not fried) and not as good. We went back to WalMart only to find that the stand is only there on weekends.

Regards

Where can we get shave ice in either Waikiki, or near the cruise dock in Hilo, Kona, Kahului or Lihue?

In Waikiki, I bought a shaved ice at a stand at the Hilton Hawaiian Village 2 years ago. It was quite good - and large!

Archived