Average Time from Ship to Gate, YVR Vavcouver

deedee512

After reading several posts on this topic I decided to ask the following question realizng various factors will cause answers to vary too. What was the elapsed time from disembarking from the ship to actually arriving at the gate at Vancouver airport.

My flight leaves at 12:25. Is it true if you carry your on luggage off you may leave the ship first? Has anyone discovered any time saving tips? Oh well at least it is after my cruise is over...(lol) Thanks, DeeDee

Thanks for the replies. What I really want to know is how much time does it take from when you start the process of disembarking, travel time from port to airport, going thru customs and eventually the departure gate.

Good thread- I will need this information on July 17 leaving the Coral Princess and heading to the Vancouver airport. Our flight is at 12:05 and we've been assured by our TA that we will have enough time.

BTW, how much should a taxi ride from the pier to the airport cost? It might be worth it for the peace of mind.

Stella Solaris '80

Carnival Celebration '92

RCCL Majesty of the Seas '01

Coral Princess '04

We returned yesterday from Vancouver. It is a 40 minute drive from the ship to the airport and then 2.5 hours for your bags to be delivered, collected, to get ticketed and pass customs. Four cruise ships dock within 1 hour of each other on Saturdays and approximately 5,000 people show up at the airport at once.Several people missed flights as well. We arrived at the airport at 9:00 and made it to our gate for a 1:00 pm flight at 12:45.

I understand that a new security system is being put in plce in Vancouver that begins June 11 that will alleviate much of this chaos. It was a wonderful trip but the disembarkation and the airport madness was unreal!

I would take a taxi from the pier to the Airport - it is about a 35minute taxi ride - I think the cost is around $35.

I would ask to be first off the ship and then get a cab to the airport and you should be fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PharmacyRx:

We returned yesterday from Vancouver. It is a 40 minute drive from the ship to the airport and then 2.5 hours for your bags to be delivered, collected, to get ticketed and pass customs. Four cruise ships dock within 1 hour of each other on Saturdays and approximately 5,000 people show up at the airport at once.Several people missed flights as well. We arrived at the airport at 9:00 and made it to our gate for a 1:00 pm flight at 12:45.

I understand that a new security system is being put in plce in Vancouver that begins June 11 that will alleviate much of this chaos. It was a wonderful trip but the disembarkation and the airport madness was unreal!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PharmacyRX could you elaborate on the new security system.....

The customs agent told us the screening will be done on the luggage at the pier and your bags will then be sent to the airport and you will not see them again until you reach your flight destination OR they pull them for Step 2 inspection ( whatever that is )based on your Declaration Form. It is a prototype system to alleviate the bottleneck chaos that happens when several ships are in port at one time. The rollout date for this is next week but the agent said this may be optomistic.

Will all bags be screened at the pier and sent on to the airport or just those bags of passengers who have purchased air through the cruise line? We also have a 12:05 p.m. flight and have arranged our own air and transfer from Canada Place to the airport for 20 people. Thanks for the assistance

NCL Seward Western 11/89

Regal Princess Eastern 11/94

Sun Princess Western 11/97

Grand Princess Eastern 11/00

NCL Sun Coastal 5/03

NCL Sky Alaska 7/03

Golden Princess Eastern 1/04

HAL Zaandam Alaska 7/04

Just returned from Infinity on Sunday, Inside Passage, which was wonderful. However, it was nightmare time from the ship to Vancouver Airport that am. Tons of people without directions, etc. Had a small plane from Vancouver to Salt Lake City at which time we had to literally run for the connection to Phila. Did not believe plane was still there. Improvements should be made at Vancouver Airport. Otherwise, wonderful vacation.

Joanie510@aol.com

It is at least $25+++ca for a cab- Canada Place to airport, get a cab that takes credit cards for the best exchange, most do. IF there is a long line at Canada Place, head up stairs, and tip the Pan Pacific door man for a quicker cab.

Lets see if I have this straight.

First you collect your luggage at the pier from customs.

Next you take your luggage through customs again at the airport. After that you stand in line (with luggage) to check in with your airline.

Then you stand in line again to pay your $10 airport fee, after which you stand in the security line.

No wonder it takes so long! icon_rolleyes.gif How does anyone make their flight?

Reading all these posts, I am so glad I came to this Alaska board last year. I read the very same comments from last years cruisers. I think the only way out of the airport mess is to book very late in the day, or spend one more night in Vancouver. It looks like most of the round trip cruises leave either Saturday, or Sunday, so if you spend Saturday night, get to the airport early. That way, you will avoid the Sunday cruisers.

Schoolmarm, yes, you will have to go through customs twice, when you get back from the cruise, you are entering Canada, when you fly out of YVR, you will be entering the US. The customs you are going through are for the two separate countries.

I thought the $10 airport fee was now included in airfare, please someone who is travelling through YVR, let us know.

Thank you.

Kathy

You might want to read the thread titled - Urgent - important message about YVR - AIF etc on these boards - it tries to explain in detail how US citizens can speed up there processing and airport clearance.

From the early posts it seems to be working

Hope this helps

Dennis

Sun Princess to Alaska May 2000

Norwegian Sun - Panama Canal 4/11/04

Norwegian Sun - Pacific Coastal 4/27/04

WE just got back from vancover Wednesday. WE were at the airport by 9:30 and at the gate by 10:15, It really depends on what day of the week it is and how many boats are docking. We did request early departure time so there were plenty of cabs and most people weren't off the ships yet, There were only two ships the Volendam with 1440 pax and the Mariner of the seas with 700 pax, Both ships docked at 7:00 so we were ready to start offloading by 8:00

Archived