Fort Lauderdale-What to do and see

Tony & Trevor

We arrive in Fort Lauderdale on Friday afternoon from London on January 4th 2008 and then embark on the Pride on the Saturday.

I would be interested to have any tips re dinner or what to do and see in the area. We are stating at the 'Atlantic hotel'.

Marita B kindly gave me information but I think we strayed off the thread and was all deleted!!. I now am unable to find the posts.

Thank you,

Kind regards,

Tony.

Its a bit of a trip but, i consider the best restaurant in the area is Joe's Stone Crab on South Beach-- down in the Miami. South Beach is a fun area to see--one of our "hot spots"! It's probably an hour drive from Ft Lauderdale with a little traffic. On our last trip out of Ft Lauderdale we had an early lunch there, and easily made boarding at 2pm. Don

It's nothing fancy, but the servings are gargantuan and the crab is fresh. Be sure to try the garlic crab. They also have a smapler - with some of several different styles. It's noisy with all the hammers banging on the crabs, it's a bit out of the way (every cabbie knows where it is), and it's definitely worth the trip to Fort Lauderdale! Be sure to wear something washable - you can save the tux for the Seabourn trip!

Hi Tony & Trevor,

Forget about South Beach. Way too over-rated and you will have an easier time in Ft. Lauderdale. Best suggestion would be to go to "Los Olas Blvd". This is our nicest shopping, dining and people watching area. At night the street is alive with vitality and many excellent restaurants to choose from. Also at the beach area where you'll be staying has been completely revitalized with many new hotels and restaurants. I believe at the "Atlantic" is a restaurant called "Trinahs" (sp!). This is supposed to be one of the best of the newest places to try. Also, try Don Shulas for great steaks.

Hope this helps. If you need more info, just ask.

BTW, did we sail together on the Legend this past April?

Howard, in sunny Ft. Lauderdale

Tony and Grannylorr

Here are the links to The River House and Grille 66

http://www.ftlauderdaleriverhouse.com/

http://www.grille66andbar.com/

I would highly reccommend The River House. It's on the riverwalk

and quite nice to dine alfresco ~~on the lawn or on the "porch."

Do plan on strolling Los Olas ~~~

Martita B.

Martita,

The River House is an excellent suggestion. I'm sorry I didn't think of it. I've not eaten at the Grill 66 yet, but interestingly, I just read that Pier 66 (The Hyatt) has now opened a spa called starngely enough "Spa 66". I'm sure its proably nice, but the Red Door Spa is just around the corner on Sunrise Blvd. in the Galleria Mall. That would be another nice place to go as they have top of the line shopping and excellent retauants too. By the way T & T, all of these things are only about 1 or 2 miles from your hotel.

Howard

Howard,

I've hosted the March pre-Crossing dinner at The River House several times ~~~it' a lovely place either dining inside or out!

Do try Grille 66~~dinner on the water was outstanding ~~food, service and beautiful table setting were TOPS!:p

Lobster at Charlie's Crab has also been delicious ~~~

MB

I have just looked at those two Restaurants Martha, and studied the menus.....now I am starving!! (almost breakfast time) I noticed how expensive lamb chops are there....well they are here too at the moment....but once I am onboard I can have them for breakfast every day! :D

Grannylorr & Tony,

May I suggest a really fun "diner" for breakfast (or lunch) in Ft. Laud. The name is "The Floridian" ~~1410 Las Olas Blvd. The locals eat here~~opened in 1937. It's a HOOT! And they serve the most divine breakfast all day. Very inexpensive!:p

If you want to see local "characters",:confused: this is the place to go!

As I have friends in Ft. Lauderdale I've spent quite a bit of time in the city.

You'll love it!

Pinkie

well Tony and Trevor think they need more time in Fort Lauderdale, and now I know I certainly do...oh well, just have to plan to cruise out of there again one day!

I think it was cruisr who mentioned the Sawgrass Mills ~somewhere~ in this forum I asked if there was any public transport to get there as we wont have a car....anyone know the answer to this?

Hi Grannylorr,

Sorry to have to tell you that Sawgrass Mills is quite a distance from anything. There is public transportation, but here in South Florida, bus service is dreadful. You would need to make 3 transfers and it would take about 2 hours minimum to get there. Plus, there aren't that many good buys, considerering this is supposed to be an outlet mall. Save your money for the trip. Unless of course the dollar is so low against the Austrailian dollar that you couldn't care less.

Forget Palm Beach. There is so much in Ft. Lauderdale, you won't have time anyway if you're here for only a day.

Howard

Grannylorr and Tony,

I love Palm Beach, and you would too, but I would simplify your stay to Ft. Lauderdale. Next time in Florida set aside a day to trek up and have luncheon at "The Breakers Hotel" and see the sights.

I remembered another wonderful restaurant, "Mark's Las Olas."

Cruisinmatt and I dined here one evening and it was fun and delicious! (I ordered my favorite, "risotto" ~~~)

There are many great places to dine in Ft. Laud ~~~Grannylorr, taking Taxi's are much easier and not that expensive ~~the only way to do and see the city.

MB

I remembered another wonderful restaurant, "Mark's Las Olas."

Cruisinmatt and I dined here one evening and it was fun and delicious! (I ordered my favorite, "risotto" ~~~)

I also remember that we enjoyed some "Fine wines" that night as well! :D

well hubby will be thrilled if we don't go to Sawgrass Mills........maybe just floating around on the water taxi will be the best idea. I can get my sea legs ready! Hopefully we will have 4 days there.....so should be able to try a few restaurants and shops.....

Grannylorr,

Shopping on 17th St. is quite easy and casually strolling both sides of the street, I believe you'll find everything you need. I usally fly in a couple of days before sailing and always look forward to a'lit shopping and the wonderful dining choices.

Check with your Concierge as to the Water Taxi's and allow an afternoon to cruise the river! I think you can buy a "hop on & off" pass ~~~

Happy weekend!:p

MB

Someone mentioned the Galleria Mall. It is only one mile from your hotel, so you can walk it in sneakers, but might feel too sweaty, so take a cab. The public bus also goes by your hotel and stops at the mall, but I don't know how late it runs. Our favorite restaurant at the mall is Seasons 52; there is also a fine steak house there called Capital Grill, and a nice Asian restaurant called P.F. Changs. You need reservations for all. This is a good place to go if it is raining.

With that said, I think that Las Olas Blvd is an experience not to be missed. As far as restaurants, Mark's is great, as is Jonnie V's, but there are also so many choices, as you can see on the las olas link that someone sent. There is also the Cheesecake Factory, which is a terrific casual American chain restaurant. Wear your sneakers, as there is another great area to walk to and explore a few blocks west of this area, on the river. After 11 PM, the river area is filled with very young people.

My favorite restaurant on the beach is Casablanca's, which has indoor and outdoor dining, and is built in a historic home. The menu is Mediterranean-style. I do not like Trina very much, it's pretty but the food and service is just OK, not worth the high prices.

Archived