Rum Point

Arizona Laura

The starfish are often at Ivory Kai, when you get to the Y in the road right before Rum Point, go left. Follow the signs to Kaibo Yacht Club, but drive past it. Continue on that road to the point at the end. That's Ivory Kai. You can walk there from Rum Point.

Is the starfish beach "Cayman Kai"? If so, from the maps I've seen, it should be within walking distance of Rum Point. Can anyone confirm this?

Looks like not going on tour to Rum Point.

Majestic Tours want $600.00 for our group (16-18 people)4 hrs, our own private 20 plus van but they want to charge my charge card the $600.00 2 days prior to the tour.

Feel uncomfortable with this.

Also thinking the 90 min total drive time.

May just go to 7 mile beach. Then will have to think where to go there.

Laura

We were just at Grand Cayman with a group of 17. I have done Rum Point and wanted to go to Seven Mile this trip. We wound up going to Sea Grape which was nice but nothing like Rum Point. We got off the ship and walked down a little bit from the area where all the taxis are waiting. We found a small bus that would hold about 20 pepole. We got him to take all of us to Sea Grape for $5 per person, and take us back for $4 each. They all have these signs with the same price on it to various places. The advertised price to Sea Grape was $6 each way. The driver waited there for us to finish and took us back. I asked him if he takes people to Rum Point. He said he would and that it would be $20 per person. You could most likely get him to come down a little on that price. You may want to see if you can put something like this together when you get there. Rum Point is much better than Seven Mile. I was a little concerned about him even being there to take us back. But I knew that there would be taxis that we could take back if our driver didn't show. If you are going to Rum Point there will be no taxis to take you back. You might want to tell the guy that you will pay him when you return to the port to gaurantee your ride back. Or just give him a little up front and the rest when he drops you off.

I am waiting to see what will really be happening with Rum Point food service come November 1. The Hyatt is ceasing its operation of those services and Red Sail Sports is taking over. Red Sail does not have other food and beverage operations of a similar style on the island and I am not sure how smooth the transition will be.

If you go to Rum Point, you really won't have much time to do much of anything else other than some light shopping in town. It is a destination for the day with shaded beach, watersports rentals, and one gift shop. You could make a brief stop at a duty free store by the port to place your liquor order before heading out, but if you are looking to spend and hour or two shopping then I would choose a beach closer to the port.

The Starfish Beach (as described, it is past the Kaibo Yacht Club) is near Rum Point, but about a mile by road. I wouldn't generally recommend walking between the two.

Whether or not Rum Point is to your liking depends upon what you look for in a beach destination. Rum Point is one individual property with plently of shade trees and a relatively short stretch of sandy beach. The various locations on Seven Mile Beach (Sea Grape, Public Beach, Beach Club, Courtyard by Marriott, and such) have much less shade and are located on a ribbon of sand that stretches for miles. Rum Point is much further from the port.

For groups of up to about 8 persons you can rent a van and drive yourselves to Rum Point. Actually for groups up to about 16 you are better off financially renting two vehicles and driving yourselves. So long as you can get the vehicles you need, you can keep adding cars, but for larger groups I usually recommend a tour service with driver. The $600 quoted for a group of up to 20 works out to $37.50 per person for your group of 16... and maybe a bit less per person if you have a few more people.

There are several tour providers and you may find that rates differ. Call a few for quotes. Check under "Tour Operator Representatives" in the Cayman Islands yellow pages here: http://www.caymanislandsyp.com/

Cool, thanks for the info. I guess if we really want to do the Stingrays, then we should omit the Rum Point. It seems like it's too far away to really relax before it's time to leave again.

What about the Seven Mile Beach? Will there be time to do the Stingrays and time to relax on the beach the same day?

If you want to do Stingray City and Rum Point then the only real option is to go with a tour operator that combines the two. Trips are offered that make a stop at the stingrays, continue on by boat to Rum Point where lunch is served, and then return by boat to your point of departure.

If you would rather, most tour operators that offer trips to the stingrays will gladly drop you off somewhere along Seven Mile Beach instead of taking you all the way back to the port.

Cool, thanks for the info. I guess if we really want to do the Stingrays, then we should omit the Rum Point. It seems like it's too far away to really relax before it's time to leave again.

What about the Seven Mile Beach? Will there be time to do the Stingrays and time to relax on the beach the same day?

I have just returned from Cayman and did a tour with Native Ways that included the stingrays and lunch at Rum Point. It was a fantastic tour, the guys were great, my family had a wonderful time. Rum Point is a really wonderful beach, the tour included soft drinks and snorkling too.

I almost booked a tour today for Rum Point.

Got an e-mail back from Hyatt in GC that says Rum Point is closing down Oct 31st. I had e-mailed them to ask about the ferry and the rumor that they were pulling out of Rum Point.

Have another e-mail trying to find out how that impacts tours.

Laura

WHAT??!!??!! :eek: . I booked an excursion just for Rum Point Beach! I went there last year and fell in love with it! Please say it aint so!!!

According to the last several e-mails from the Hyatt and Majestic Tours, Rum Point will be reopening by an independently owned management group for food and drinks. Hyatt did run it till this month. Majestic Tours confirmed there will be food and drinks. We are going in Jan.

Laura

phew....I thought you meant Rum Point was closing down. Thanks for the clarification. The prices for food and beverages were a bit high last time I was there. Maybe they will be a little more reasonable since Hyatt is no longer running it.

Coming off of a cruise ship, what is the best way for a group of 8 to get to Rum Point. We will be there 11-8 (Thurs). Thanks for any info. We also want to do the Stingray City. Any suggestions for the both?

i highly recommend booking with Nativeway Water Sports and doing Rays, Reef and Rum Point. You make a quick stop at Sting Ray City Sandbar and then a quick snorkeling stop and then off to Rum Point where lunch is included. I did this last year and I'm doing it again in December. It makes a great day in Grand Cayman!

The starfish are often at Ivory Kai, when you get to the Y in the road right before Rum Point, go left. Follow the signs to Kaibo Yacht Club, but drive past it. Continue on that road to the point at the end. That's Ivory Kai. You can walk there from Rum Point.

The Starfish Beach (as described, it is past the Kaibo Yacht Club) is near Rum Point, but about a mile by road. I wouldn't generally recommend walking between the two.

Thanks to both for the information - but from the conflicting info, I'm still not sure if it's walking distance :( We won't be driving to Rum Point - we will be doing the native way tour - stingrays, snorkling and then rum point. And I've heard about the starfish beach which I know my son (10) would absolutely love and I was trying to figure out if there was anyway he could see that while we're up at rum point. From what I've heard it sounds like it could be within walking distance, but not close walking distance - so now I'm wondering if we could possibly leave our group at the end of the tour, walk down to the starfish beach and then just catch a cab back to the pier?

...We won't be driving to Rum Point - we will be doing the native way tour... - ... starfish beach ... it sounds like it could be within walking distance, but not close walking distance - so now I'm wondering if we could possibly leave our group at the end of the tour, walk down to the starfish beach and then just catch a cab back to the pier?

Referencing the island map... http://www.caymanlandinfo.ky/imagemapfiles/gcindex.htm

Rum Point is in box #120 http://www.caymanlandinfo.ky/AtlasPages/gcpage120.pdf

The starfish point is in box #105 at Ivory Kai Point.

Measuring it out, it look to be right about 1.5 miles between Rum Point and the starfish. That is definitely too far to walk round trip during the time that Nativeway makes its stop at Rum Point.

There are NO cabs waiting at starfish beach. You would need to set up that yourself. I wouldn't say it is impossible... but it is difficult. If you are going to set up a cab, why not have them meet you at Rum Point first for the short drive over to the starfish?

Drew:

We are arriving at 10 am and leaving at 7 pm, renting a car from budget to drive to rum point. Do you think that is enough time? I figure by the time we tender in and get the car it will be after 11 am. I thougth we would return the car around 5 to give us an hour or so to shop near the pier.

Been to 7-mile before and looking for a different beach.

The Legend will be leaving at 4PM and I'm really nervous about going on the 3 part tour ending at Rum Point that ends at 2:15. It is supposedly a 45 min ride back from there.

The tour operator assures me it will be fine.

Rum Point looks great online, but then I've been reading 7 mile beach is better.

Has anyone done both? Advice appreciate.

Thanks

Barbara

The Legend will be leaving at 4PM and I'm really nervous about going on the 3 part tour ending at Rum Point that ends at 2:15. It is supposedly a 45 min ride back from there.

The tour operator assures me it will be fine.

Are you referring to the Rays, Reef and Rum tour? If so, then you should be fine. The 2:15 they're talking about is probably the return time to their starting location on the "port" side of the island. The tour goes to Rum Point by boat, so the travel time is a lot shorter than by land. (My DH was there last week with some friends, and they went in to Georgetown by boat from the Rum Point area, taking about 20 minutes to get to the Seven Mile Beach area rather than the hour or so it would have taken by land...just as an example.)

The tour operators are all experts in getting people back to their ships on time...after all, that's their livelihood, and if they get a reputation for having their customers miss the ship, they're not likely to stay in business long. :D

As for the beaches, both are great. It really depends on what you're looking for. Rum Point is a little less crowded, but is further away from the port. It's got more shade and a shorter stretch of sand, but has a nice bar and hammocks to lounge in. Seven Mile is closer to the port, so it can be more crowded. There's no shade other than rented umbrellas, but there's a longer stretch of sandy beach.

Unless you're renting a car, Rum Point is best visited as part of a tour (like the Reef, Rays and Rum one). On the other hand, while the ship will offer tours to Seven Mile Beach, they're not worth the money, IMO, and you'd be better served by just grabbing a cab to that beach for the afternoon.

i highly recommend booking with Nativeway Water Sports and doing Rays, Reef and Rum Point. You make a quick stop at Sting Ray City Sandbar and then a quick snorkeling stop and then off to Rum Point where lunch is included. I did this last year and I'm doing it again in December. It makes a great day in Grand Cayman!

I also recommend this tour from Nativeway. We used them in '06 and will be doing the same tour in '08.

I am waiting to see what will really be happening with Rum Point food service come November 1. The Hyatt is ceasing its operation of those services and Red Sail Sports is taking over. Red Sail does not have other food and beverage operations of a similar style on the island and I am not sure how smooth the transition will be.

Drew,

Have you heard anything about how the food service is working out on Rum Point yet? Specificly if the food quality has changed and if pricing has changed. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I am definitely interested in an update. We have rented a car for December 24th and would like to drive to Rum Point. Most reviews are favorable. I hate crowded beaches, so that is why I wanted to go here. Also need shade. I don't care about doing anything else in GC except relax on the beach. What time would we need to leave the beach in order to get the car back and get back to the ship? The ship leaves at 4. We plan to get out there very early. I am thinking 2 or 2:30?

I am definitely interested in an update. We have rented a car for December 24th and would like to drive to Rum Point. Most reviews are favorable. I hate crowded beaches' date=' so that is why I wanted to go here. Also need shade. I don't care about doing anything else in GC except relax on the beach. What time would we need to leave the beach in order to get the car back and get back to the ship? The ship leaves at 4. We plan to get out there very early. I am thinking 2 or 2:30?[/quote']

I can tell you that it gets crowded on cruise days with a lot of ships in port(Three ships the day we were there). If you get your car right away and get to Rum Point I don't think you'll have a problem getting chairs,food etc... We had friends that were staying in Grand Cayman while we cruised. They said traffic was pretty bad driving over from their hotel, so keep that in mind.

Someone asked for a comparison of 7-Mile Beach and Rum Point. I've been to both and liked Rum Point much better - it's shadier, quieter and more remote. The latter is one of the disadvantages, of course. We went there with Nativeway and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. However, we were a bit too close for comfort getting back [got the last boat back to the ship] because we had a bit of a delay leaving RP because someone forgot something and the crew went back for it. [Adding to the tension was a newbie in the seat behind us literally freaking out about missing the ship! She couldn't understand that we were all "in the same boat" and that she wasn't the only one who was going to be late!]

7-Mile Beach is very nice but it's also very crowded and "commercial". But you can get there on your own very easily, either by taxi or by bus and there are always taxis to get you back to the ship in a few minutes. From RP, if you're not with the Nativeway tour, you have only the option of a rental car or a taxi and, since it's pretty far away, it would be easy to get "stuck".

We got back from our 11/11 cruise a few weeks ago. Saw this thread about Rum Point Beach and wanted to respond. We used Majestic Tours for a private tour for 5 of us-our guide was Anthony who was terrific. He drove us around the whole island showing us new construction, the prison, stopped at Simmets Bay, the blowholes, passed all the mansions on our way to Rum Point Beach. We were the only ship in port that day so basically had the place almost to ourselves. It was quiet and pictureseque. The food that our party sampled was all good and not that pricey. And they have a kids menu. Plenty of chairs, shaded areas, showers and restrooms. We would definetly go back next time. Oh, almost forgot the last stop to the Rum Cake Factory which was alot of fun. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from the Rays, Reefs, and Rum Point shore excursion, and we had a fantastic time. The tour, offered through Princess, was run by Nativeway. I never went when it was run by the old company, but the food I had last week was tasty. I had the jerk pork platter. It came with fried plaintains, potato salad, cole slaw, beans and rice, and a small corn on the cob. I don't know if it always comes with all that, but needless to say, it was a lot of food. They also provided a cup of iced tea for each person, and there was water available.

Archived