Thumbs up for Uniworld. Just back from Busapest / Amsterdam river cruise

KiwiKruiser

What a great trip this was, everything exceeded our expectations. The River Princess and her crew could not be faulted.

Our cabin was roomy, with hotel style large bed, double cupboard for hanging garments, and eight good size drawers. Luggage stowed away easily under the bed, bedside tables with lamps and phone plus a small table and two upholstered chairs near the window made for a very comfortable room. A TV set was useful to catch a bit of news or track the position of the ship as we made our way along the many waterways. Films etc were also available but we did not make use of those.The en suite was very good to use, especially the shower. Fresh towels were supplied twice daily,the usual toiletries were supplied and there was a good shelf to hold your cosmetics etc.

Day excursions usually started between 8am to 9.30 am depending on the destination. There were no long bus trips involved for the 1/2 day visits and we just loved walking around the old towns. The walking tours were greatly enhanced by the use of the Vox voice controlled transmitter system. Uniworld provided one to each passenger, the receiver hangs around your neck and using the tiny earphone you can clearly hear the guides commentary even if you canot see him/her. The system even worked with a hearing aid.

We did not expect the entertainment that is usual on the big cruise ships but there was a variety of activities. Piano music by Petre could be enjoyed in the lounge after dinner. Frequently, regional entertainers came aboard and gave very good performances with a local touch, these were very good. The Crews Concert was a great effort and "brought the house down."

Dining on this cruise was a real highlight, the dining room is lovely with views all round. The restaurant manager Rudy keeps everything running smoothly, nothing is too much trouble for him and his staff. The 5 course dinners chosen from a menu usually featured some speciality from each area and the presentation of each course was exceptional. The breakfast and lunch buffets were all fresh and varied. A tour of the galley showed us where all the food is prepared and cooked. A very impressive kitchen.

After reported flooding of the Danube I am happy to say all ran smoothly for us. The weater was changeable with some very cool days as well as others that were really warm. Layering is the way to go, thanks to CC forum I got it about right. Most people definitley changed for dinner.

This is very brief but I am still not down to earth and have not finished unpacking. It was indeed a memorable trip. The 125 passengers were a very friendly, happy group. I would love to do it all over again.

Your review is really GOOD news for us. We're scheduled to go next summer. One question...with the scheduled sightseeing in the mornings, how do most people spend the afternoons? Is the boat docked so you can go out on your own, or are you underway and staying onboard? Also, your cabin description sounds great. May I ask what category you were in? Thanks again for your first hand report.

...with the scheduled sightseeing in the mornings, how do most people spend the afternoons? Is the boat docked so you can go out on your own, or are you underway and staying onboard?

"Yes".

That's a tongue-in-cheek answer, really meaning, "It depends."

Some days, there's another tour in the afternoon. Or, you have time on your own in town. Or, the ship is cruising down the river.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks KiwiCruiser for you great report on Uniworld. We are in the process of making a reservation with Uniworld for the tulips and windmills cruise in Apr. May I ask what category you had for your cabin. When I called Uniworld the very friendly agent told me all of the cabins ( except suites) are the same square footage, the only difference being the size of windows. I am trying to decid if having a floor to ceiling window is worth the upgrade price? Any opinions??

I also noticed that you said the food was good. I am a "foodie" and do enjoy a good meal. Anything else anyone can add would be appreciated. One more question--what was the dress at dinner?--any formal nights( not necessarily gowns like on an ocean cruise but suits and ties for my husband?) Thanks for any help.

micked10

Hi Micked:

What ship will you be on for your cruise?

The River Duchess is one of the ships that does that itinerary. If you end up on her and have the same or near the same crew that was on her this year, you will be more than pleased. Hopefully you'll have Jan as your hotel manager. He's just the best. Very charming. Talk about working the whole ship. He did it and did it well.

The Uniworld agent was correct in her information on the staterooms. They are all the same size except for the suites.

I can speak from experience, if you can afford the suite, it's well worth the extra money.

The size of the regular cabins is quite small. We upgraded to a suite at boarding and were really glad that we did.

The food is really very good. Very European. Small portions so that you're not stuffed. Everything is made onboard. All the ingredients are brought on locally.

They have the best bread, cheeses and soups that I have ever eaten.

Breakfast and lunch is served as a buffet and dinner is a 4 course meal.

There will be a Captains Welcome and Farewell dinner.

The dress for those 2 nights is semi formal. There is definately no need for long gowns. Mostly cocktail dresses or dress pants for those dinners.

The other nights were really very casual. Some people dressed up more than others, but no one looked out of place.

If you need any other info. just ask.

Thanks so much Tiggypoo for your very informative information. It made me hungry just reading about the good food. When I called Uniworld yesterday he said the River Duchess only had one cabin left but he suggested the River Queen which sails 2 days later on Apr. 15th. The agent stated that he used to work on the R. Queen and it has a working fireplace on it. Sounded good since Apr. on the river is probably pretty chilly. Do you know anything about that ship?

I am still trying to talk my husband into this since we just got back from Tahiti and he thinks we should wait a year before taking another European trip. My argument is heck, we are not getting any younger and we should do it while we can!! I'll let you know what WE decide.( I should say DH since I am already decided!)

Micked10

I had clients that I booked on River Queen last April. They totally enjoyed their experience. I personally cannot comment as I've not sailed her.

I'm sure that the Uniworld quality and service are fleet wide and I'm sure that you'd be happy on any of the ships.

I'm with you though....why put off what you can do today. Keep working on DH.

I sailed on the River Queen last April and it was super. I don't remember any fire place but then we didnt need it. The chef...if you get the same one...if German and he is amazing. His sauerkraut melted in your mouth!!!! I upgraded to just a cabin w/ the larger windows but not a suite and it was fine but I think if there are two of you, then I agree, get the biggest cabin you can afford. I've seen the suites and they were very nice indeed. OH have fun.....we sure did!!!!

Well, I did it. DH said why not go ahead and do it--you only go around once!! Anyway i booked the tulips and windmills with Uniworld on Apr. 15th. The Apr. 13th cruise only had one cabin left so opted for the 15th. Decided to upgrade to Cat. 2 so we would have the picture window. Decided not to go for the suite but to use the extra money to stay over in Brussels a few days. We are doing our own flight and will fly into Amsterdam a day early in case of flight delays etc. We spent a week in amsterdam several years ago and loved it but do't feel a need to do any additional time. The cruise ends in Antwerp ( DIAMOND capital ladies) but they then bus us to Brussels for the flight. since we are doing our own flight ( will work on that later) I am going to add 3 days in Brussels. I am really excited. Thanks Jetset for your info. Hope we have the same chef, or if not, a really good. I do love good food!

If anyone has any suggestions etc. please let me know. We are open for all ideas.

Thanks,

micked10

Well Mick...I managed to gain 25 lbs on our trip...course we did spend a week in Paris afterwards!!!!!! :) I had a catagory 2 and was fine and I think you'll have plenty of room for 2 people. You're going to have a super time.....and I"ll cross my fingers you get that chef!!!!!! :) Travel safe!

Thanks Jet Set,

Sounds like the food was really, really good. I gained 12 lbs.last month on our trip to Tahiti and am working really hard to get if off. The older I get the harder it is to take off. I just love good food, particularly good pastry!

We are now in the process of looking for airline reservations and looking into hotels in Brussels. I found a really nice looking Marriott right in the center of Brussels so think we will book it. We have a lot of Marriott points so that will help. The cruise is over on Apr. 25th so I am going to add 3 more days in Brussels.

What was the name of your chef so i can see if we have the same one?

thanks,

micked10

Archived