Accra/Rockley Beach

East Coaster

A friend of my sister's has vacationed in Barbados alot swears by this beach......this is where we plan on going .....

Hi there!! I would HIGHLY recommend Rockley Beach...it's about 10 - 15 min ride from Bridgetown in Christ Church. It's near a small resort called Accra in case she needs to give folks more detail. She should ask the driver to drop her at the entrance across from Chefette (chain restaurant), and that she wants to rent a chair from Wayne (also know as Dad...or Dahd as they say it down there). If she can't find Wayne there are a couple of other guys there that she can rent from. The best spots are in the shade because you still get a little sun but don't get burned to a crisp.

She should get lunch from the local lady - she parks a small blue van near the parking lot entrance and sells food out of the back. Her food is the BEST - macaroni pie, salad, flying fish, chicken. We eat there every day. It's about $5.

There's lots of little snack shacks and gift shops, plus a small plaza across the street with a little grocery store. I would recommend she pick a small bag of raw sure, and some hot sauce...it's yellow with red peppers in it.

This is really the best beach on the island...I've been to several others there in the past, but now we don't even bother because we love this one so much.

Let me know if she ends up trying it out.

Several months ago a poster from Barbados recommended this beach and it sounds great!
Rockley Beach is waaay cool.

see the color of this text?

Get the hint?

Don't let them know you're a tourist,though..

ask to be taken to Accra Beach - same thing

You won't be disappointed, I'm pretty sure.

You thought I was kidding, didn't you...

notice the pink sand, in that shot at far right?

I'm curious about your tourist comment also. Is the taxi going to rip us off if we are a tourist? How much should taxi cost from the docks? There is only 2 of us. I think we are going to stand out and look like tourist no matter what.

Is it a safe beach? How is the water? Is it calm waters? I was thinking about going to the Boatyard but I think I might reconsider this beach.

We are not looking for anything particular. Just laying about and relaxing. Love the turquoise water in the picture you have.

By the way, if it is possible East Coaster, can you tell me how's the beach after you return from your trip? I would love to hear about your reviews about the beach. We will be heading there early Dec.

Thanks

Thank you for the lovely pictures aplmac!

The color of the water is just beautiful! - I can't wait to go there.

Why did you say don't let them know about being a tourist,

just curious?

Just pulling your leg, more than anything.

You'll be obviously identifiable a tourist,

but at least the taxi guy might figure you've

* been here before

* were born here but lived abroad all your adult life

* have family here, and visit every so often

...something like that.

One other thing.... They're coconut trees,

not coconut 'palms' as you guys like to refer to them.

That's a dead tourist giveaway.

Is the taxi going to rip us off if we are a tourist? ===> probably not, but you know taxis..

How much should taxi cost from the docks? ===> about US$15?

There are only 2 of us. ===> $15 one way, I should think - don't quote me!

I think we are going to stand out and look like tourist no matter what. ===> yuh think?

Is it a safe beach? How is the water? Is it calm waters? ===> Depends!

I was thinking about going to the Boatyard but I think I might reconsider this beach.

We are not looking for anything particular. Just laying about and relaxing.

Love the turquoise water in the picture you have.

Accra Beach/ROCKLEY Beach has variable conditions.

Sometimes there's a current going down to the SW.

Locals know to be aware of it, and to make allowance for it!

The lifeguard on duty should have out his red or yellow/orange flags

if need be, so watch for that.

Identify locals and don't go further out than they do.

Such conditions exist only when seas are vigorous,

but 'Accra' (as we call it) can also be mellow with small waves

- so much depends on what wind conditions have been like,

the previous 48 hrs. or so.

Wind creates waves and Accra does get them,

so keep an eye on wind conditions while on your cruise!

This wind/waves relationship holds true for all sea conditions

at all island destinations!

Look at the picture I've posted,below.

Accra can be like this, when it's been windy for awhile,

and the waves might get up to 2-3 ft,

but it can also be more mellow

(like a warm bath-tub in late Aug. to end Sept.!)

If it's been a windy week,

you may want to stick with Carlisle Bay(Boatyard, Lobster Alive! right next door)

which is usually a lot calmer and more to your liking.

Hope this helps you make the right decision, when you get here!

Ask your driver to stop briefly at Carlisle Bay(it's 2 miles long!)

so you can take a look and see if you want to go no further.

If it's dead calm at Carlisle, and if it's not particularly windy,

press on to 'Accra'

These two pictures illustrates what conditions can be like at Carlisle Bay.

Wife and I were swimming there about 2 wks. ago,

and it was so calm I waded in,waist-deep

with the camera to get these pics!

It's a large but sheltered bay and usually mellow.

BIG favourite with locals on weekends,

but during the week there's lotsa room for tourists.

It's 'only' 2 miles long, so you understand...

aplmac, are you really trying to confuse me?? I also enjoyed your pictures of Carlisle Bay. Just love the color of the water! Is it on the way to Accra? What we were looking for was shady trees to lay down under after we go swimming / snorkeling (young ones in our group) so we don't burn to a crisp as you said! Thank you, you have been so helpful!

aplmac, are you really trying to confuse me?? ===> No. sorry if I did.

I also enjoyed your pictures of Carlisle Bay. Just love the color of the water!

Is it on the way to Accra? ===> yes.

What we were looking for was shady trees to lay down under

after we go swimming / snorkeling (young ones in our group)

so we don't burn to a crisp as you said!

You should get a bit more shade at Accra/Rockley.

Shade's a bit sparse at Carlisle Bay.

acra is our favorite beach. we have stayed at two hotels along that stretch and have loved it. one more added tip about food. the local person who delivers food is great, but leave room for a roti at the cheffette across the street. it is a caribbean treat consisting of a large crepe filled with vegetables and meat or chicken in a curry sauce. these were quite good.

steve

Just wanted to say THANKS to aplmac for all the help on the Barbados board - taking the time to post all the pics in the various threads is very helpful and you always have good solid info. It is appreciated!

Gene and Kathy from Cape Cod

(who will be returning to your island for the fourth time in April!! - can't wait!!!)

aplmac, instead of taking a taxi to Accra is there is local bus to catch?

Yes, lots of buses go right past that spot, quite frequently,too

and there's a bus-stop right opposite Chefette(fast food) and Accra Beach.

When you get on the bus, tell the driver where you're headed

(and mention it to the local guy next to you)

- most of us are tourist-friendly -

so we can alert you when to get off.

Not sure what the route numbers are,

but any buses going to Oistins

and/or along the South Coast Main Road

will go right past there.

• 2 months later...
Rockley Beach is waaay cool.

quote]

aplmac: I've really enjoyed your helpful hints, but I think this is really going to be tough to follow this advice!!! I'll be the pasty-colored guy standing outside of the big cruise ship with a confused look on his face! :D

Unless of course I'm lobster colored from a previous stop.

We were in Barbados ~20 years ago, looking forward to returning, Thanks for all of your posts.

I went to Accra/Rockley Beach 21 years ago on a land vacation, my first long haul vacation (from UK)... I had just got engaged to my now husband and stayed in the Blue Horizon Hotel across the street. We LOVED this beach. We are going back on a cruise with RCI in March this year and have hired a car for us and our 2 boys now aged 13 and 10 to show them where mum and dad went on their first holiday together long before they were born! We plan to spend the morning at Rockley beach and get the kids chicken from Chefette (this was actually there 21 years ago and much like KFC!), I hope the surrounds have not changed too much. I am so excited about this day as we have so many happy memories. I believe Pisces Restaurant is still there also (in the next town -)which is a wonderful (or was?) fish resturant right on the water. Have a lot of fun wherever you go. The people are very friendly and you feel very safe (I did all those years ago anyhow)

The following year we went to Jamaica for our honeymoon and that was a different story... we had armed guards on our resort gate and was warned not to walk out alone incase we were robbed:eek: That was 20 years ago near Montego Bay.Hollyanna:)

What a marvelous story. Barbados is one of our favorites. We've been there twice so far. We'll be there again in March and again in January, 2009. We did Brighton last time and it was fine; boatyard the previous year. Now we will beeline to Accra!

All the best to your family. Enjoy you stroll down the memory path.

Will be going to Barbados in about a week and are seriously thinking about going to Accra/Rockley to spend the day. can someone tell me what the procedure is for getting back to the ship. Is there a cab stand near by or a hotel where you can grab a cab back?

Will be going to Barbados in about a week and are seriously thinking about going to Accra/Rockley to spend the day. can someone tell me what the procedure is for getting back to the ship. Is there a cab stand near by or a hotel where you can grab a cab back?

Does anyone know how much a taxi would be from the ship to Accra/Rockley Beach? We were thinking of going there this November and would appreciate any comments from past cruisers.

Thanks!

just wanted you to know we went to Accra beach last March and it was beautiful. the only thing I can say is that it was windy and we got dragged underneath the water. We didn't go in again because we were afraid.The cab cost $30 each way and it was just the two of us. If you want to swim I wouldn't recommend it,but a beautiful beach.

Archived