Options for getting to the airport in Vancouver

Sierra Fox

We are doing a SB Alaska cruise next summer ending in Vancouver on a Monday. We cannot spend the night and fly out the next day as my husbands vacation time is very limited.

Our return flights to Denver are on Frontier and depart at 12:55 pm. Since Frontier does not participate in US Direct, that is not an option for us.

We are light packers and will be able to carry off all our own luggage and should be ready to depart the ship as soon as they allow us to but then what?

Is it best to take the Princess transfer, catch a taxi or take some other kind of shuttle to the airport? I know traffic will be crazy and the lines at the airport will be long, I'm just trying to figure out the best way between the ship and the airport that will get us there on time to make our flight home. I appreciate everyone's help! - SF

Self disembark with all your luggage, and get a cab. You are going to be WAITING if you go with the contracted bus.

You need a 2 hour window- at least. I was stuck in July, 1 1/2 hours in the customs line, 45 minutes in security and 30 minutes in the airline line.

Thank you Budget Queen, I appreciate the advice. Do we need to make arrangements for a cab in advance or do they normally have plenty parked at the dock already?

Do you know if the cabs in Vancouver accept cc or do we need to have plenty of cash on hand for the fare? Thanks again and have a great day! - SF

Thank you Budget Queen, I appreciate the advice. Do we need to make arrangements for a cab in advance or do they normally have plenty parked at the dock already?

Do you know if the cabs in Vancouver accept cc or do we need to have plenty of cash on hand for the fare? Thanks again and have a great day! - SF

There are cab lines, and they take credit cards. IF you are sailing into Canada Place, and there are significant lines, just head up stairs, tip the door man and should get a quick cab. :)

I want to strongly agree with Budget Queen. The Princess transfer was really inefficient. We wished we had taken a cab. And be prepared for a lot of long lines at Vancouver airport once you get there. Horrible ending to an otherwise great vacation.

Self disembark with all your luggage, and get a cab. You are going to be WAITING if you go with the contracted bus.

You need a 2 hour window- at least. I was stuck in July, 1 1/2 hours in the customs line, 45 minutes in security and 30 minutes in the airline line.

We had the opposite experience in Vancouver, we had an early color (not self disembarkation), got right through customs, got a taxi and were at the airport at 9:30 am at the gate. We were there so early my daughter (not flying with us) was able to catch the 10:30 flight instead of waiting for the next flight at 1:30. It was a Saturday morning so the traffic situation would be different but the other things should be similar.

In Sept. we carried our own bags off Diamond. Went to Limo Area, and had the employee call Limo Gold. The limosines are about 5 minutesaway and need to be called. We were at the airport by 8:50. Total cost for 2 was 56 dollars.

Early in the 2007 season there were some cab shortages at both of the Vancouver piers. If you encounter this, there is a shuttle bus service available to the aiport that is available from a local vendor once you get off of the ship. The cost is C$12.00 per person and available from Balentyne and Canada Place. There has always been a person holding a sign after customs to direct you to the shuttle bus. I've made it to the airport with time to spare for 11:30 flights with this service.

Archived