Men Suits in Hong Kong ???

envy4u

I lived in Hong Kong for many years. Even with the great discounts I received, the price and quality of custom made clothing was not the best.

If you read the article psoted, they mention the excellent Shanghai trained tailors. Most of them have already moved back to Shanghai.

The bulk of Hong Kong made clothing is produced in sweat shops, with poor quality cloth and single stitching.

A few years ago the local HK papers held a survey on the best custom made clothing. The winner was Brooks Brothers in New York City. Not only was the Brooks Brothers clothing higher quality, but the prices were lower.

I have many pieces of clothing made in Shanghai and Hanoi. The Shanghai cloth is not the best, so I usually import it myself and have the tailors copy a piece I already own, made with my cloth. A good custom suit in Shanghai today will cost around US$40.

I can have a custom made silk suit produced in Hanoi for about US$60. The silk is excellent, but the tailoring can be a bit primitive. Usually takes several fittings to get it right.

We took a Beijing to Bangkok Cruise two years ago on the Diamond Princess.

There was a "Hong Konk Tailor" aboard selling his goods.

Stopped by one evening to price a suit or Sport Jacket.

Jaw dropped when he told me the price.

Told him that he was too high. He said that he was giving me a good price.

Told him that I was wearing a custom made Sports Jacket, Pants and Shirt, which were tailored in my home town. And, that the pricing was much better that what he was quoting. Quality better also.

"Not possible" says he.

Showed him the label inside my Jacket - "Custom made for ........".

Took his card and told him that I would Fax him my Invoice from my Tailor.

So, guess that the bottom line is - If you shop around in the U S of A,

you can buy tailored clothes for a decent price and good quality.

P.S.

While over nighting in Bangkok, there was a tailor in the Hotel.

His pricing was decent; however, I did not care for the material quality.

• 1 month later...

From my personal experience I would not do it again unless the store was recommended by someone I trusted. Many tailors have people who give out advertisement to their shops on the street. Buyers beware.

• 2 weeks later...

There are so many men trying to lure you into a tailors shop in Hong Kong that you get sick of them very quickly. I cant comment on their workmanship though. I was there only yesterday but I think if I go back again I would only go to one that was recommended and take a copy of what I wanted made as personally what I saw in the few I looked into was that the ladies clothing was very conservative, old fashioned corportate style but then they may not have been good examples.

You will find people all over Nathan Rd. in Hong Kong trying to lure you to their tailor shops....I would not go there....we shopped and shopped for a while several years ago while staying in Hong Kong for a week, and finally, on our own and without any recommendations, wandered into A Timeless Tailor - located in the shops in the Sheraton Hotel opposite the Peninsula Hotel......my husband had two very nice, good quality suits made for about $325 each....he had 3 fittings also....I would beware of those who say suits made in one day or with one fitting......he has been very pleased with the suits and the quality...this company also travels to the U.S. to various cities several times a year....once they have your measurements on file (if your weight does not change) you can call or email them with what you want, they will make it, charge it to your credit card and ship it to you. At least check them out while you are there. You will LOVE Hong Kong!!

I highly recommend Pacific Custom Tailors in the Pacific Place Mall on HK Island. I have used them many times over the years and also have sent colleagues to them when they travel to HK. Everyone has always been very satisfied with the quality and craftsmanship.

Look for the book by Suzy Gershman --WHERE TO SHOP, HONG KONG. In it she recommends a tailor on Nathan Road -- unfortunately, I gave to book to someone and never got it back. I only remember his name was Dan and he comes to the US several times a year. I took patterns with me because it is very important to know exactly what you want.My two favorite suits, 2 pairs of silk slacks and my SO's beautiful sport coat were all made there. It was 10 years ago, so I don't remember the prices but I love the clothes and still wear them a lot.

My son also bought a tailor made suit in Hong Kong. The price for him was about what you would expect back home by just going in to a quality men's shop. But they were pulling out racks and racks of material the second they got us in the door and taking his measurements and he felt he would enjoy having one made.

Picked it up the next day and it seemed fine, but once home, he found that it didn't hold up nearly as well as most of what he purchases at home. So as others would say, I'd just make sure that you get a good referral for a place. It sounds great, but isn't always all it's cracked up to be.

Cathy

Archived