Turkey trouble?

There are news reports this morning indicating some tension between the US and Turkey that may prohibit travle to Turkey. Anyone know if the cruise lines have made any decisions? I am due to leave for the Med next week and Turkey is one of the ports.

This may seem selfish but it is one reason I'm glad I'm sailing Costa in Feb. At our age the clock is ticking to be able to see the world and if we want to see Ephesus it has to be soon, we can't wait ten or twenty years for the world to come to its senses.

Being on a cruiseline with very very few Americans on board in my mind would not be a target.

It just makes me so sad that as time passes less and less of the world is open to travel---makes me think back to the cold war and the old iron curtain.

So now everyone is going to be constantly asking if we are afraid of our trip in Feb instead of being happy that we will be able to see all these wonderful things.

Again--it just makes me sad.

This may seem selfish but it is one reason I'm glad I'm sailing Costa in Feb. At our age the clock is ticking to be able to see the world and if we want to see Ephesus it has to be soon, we can't wait ten or twenty years for the world to come to its senses.

Being on a cruiseline with very very few Americans on board in my mind would not be a target.

It just makes me so sad that as time passes less and less of the world is open to travel---makes me think back to the cold war and the old iron curtain.

So now everyone is going to be constantly asking if we are afraid of our trip in Feb instead of being happy that we will be able to see all these wonderful things.

Again--it just makes me sad.

Its a bit sad that you think that travelling on Costa will protect you as the world terrorist are out to get the Americans on American ships, in the medditerean??? Just go to Ephesus and enjoy it, I was there last month the Turks are beautiful people and the ruins are the best I've seen. Kusadasi is a great port well prepared for the tourists, don't feel intimidated with their style of bartering its all done in a good natured way.

Oh no! We have a Kusadasi stop scheduled for November as well and had our private tour all set up. :( I agree with mountainmare above that the world (esp. that area) is getting more and more difficult to travel around, which is truly sad. Let's hope things cool down in the coming weeks.

Its not the terrorism situation, it is possible that it is more likely for one of the mainstream American lines to cancel a stop in a Middle East port than Costa.

I live in the US but consider myself a citizen of the world (can you see the old hippie coming out?)

I'm sad because so many people--Americans because I live here and I know Americans, are sometimes afriad of differences.

The reason I am driven to travel as much as I can now is to meet as many people as I can and to experience as many different cultures as I can.

Every report that I have read and whenever I talk to people who have been to the Middle East say that the one country they want to come back to is Turkey--because of the beauty of the people and the country.

Perhaps my use of the word target was a poor one and I apologize to anyone living in this area who was hurt by that word. I do use that argument when explaining to friends and family that we have every intention of traveling and are not afraid.

My generation thought we could change the world as one filled with peace and love---maybe someday, but in the meanwhile traveling and meeting people face to face is one small thing each of us can do to break down the walls of suspicion. (Now you can really see the hippie!!!)

I hate to tell you this but if you think Costa is a safer bet for not canceling a port than an American line, who do you think owns Costa? Carnival!

But I agree with the other posters. Turkey is a wonderful country with warm people. No one should put his life on hold for fear of what could happen. A lot of people in NY, London and Madrid can attest to that.

Guys . . . . the locals (especially in Kusadasi) will probably not have a clue about the political issues.

Heck, the political situation will not stop them still wanting your money! Just tell 'em that you have a German background (stems from the WWII days) and you'll be ok! ;)

I'm not worried about being OK, I'm worried about Celebrity cancelling the port. Obviously Celebrity will consider everything when making a decision. I'm just concerned I will miss out on Turkey.

Right now there are no travel advisories re the State Dept.Here is a link that you can follow to see if anything happens.You also may want to email or call the cruiseline as well to see if they have made any determination re Turkey.Hopefully this little 90yr old set-to will blow over if our politicians ever get it together.

Current Travel Warnings

I'm not worried about being OK, I'm worried about Celebrity cancelling the port. Obviously Celebrity will consider everything when making a decision. I'm just concerned I will miss out on Turkey.

But, frankly, you can't do anything other than go with the flow. If the line cancels the port, it cancels the port. There's not much you can do about it either way! So just go and see what happens.

It is so sad to hear that Turkey may be off itineraries for cruise ships! We were in Izmir and Istanbul this past summer, and LOVED Turkey, particularly Istanbul. People were so friendly and seemed to like Americans. My son and I both felt very safe there...must to the dismay of relitives who said we were crazy to go there. Wonder which country will be next on the list of countries to avoid.

I have not seen anything in the news leading me to think that cruise ships are going skip Turkish ports. The Turkish government is not going bar ships (none of which, by the way, are U.S. registered anyway) nor is there any reason to believe there will an increase in violence against U.S. citizens.

The view of the U.S. in Turkey was already dismal without the genocide debate and has been ever since the current U.S. administration instituted its macho foreign policy.

BTW, turkey did NOT withdraw its ambassador; he was called home for consultations. In diplomatic speak, this is serious, but not close to as serious as withdrawing ambassador-level representation.

Please note that the Turkish government is seriously upset with the French government for related reasons (and, not incidentally, France's objection to Turkey joining the EU). Nothing has happened to French tours or tourists because of this.

The only reason I can see for ship not calling on Turkey is (pardon the word) ignorant fear on the part of U.S customers canceling or not booking Turkey-bound cruises.

The Armenian-Turkey history, Turkey's Constitution Article 301 and related matters are fascinating and complex..I have tried to avoid them here though .. difficult as it is for me to behave myself. <grin>

Paul

I have not seen anything in the news leading me to think that cruise ships are going skip Turkish ports. The Turkish government is not going bar ships (none of which, by the way, are U.S. registered anyway) nor is there any reason to believe there will an increase in violence against U.S. citizens.

The view of the U.S. in Turkey was already dismal without the genocide debate and has been ever since the current U.S. administration instituted its macho foreign policy.

BTW, turkey did NOT withdraw its ambassador; he was called home for consultations. In diplomatic speak, this is serious, but not close to as serious as withdrawing ambassador-level representation.

Please note that the Turkish government is seriously upset with the French government for related reasons (and, not incidentally, France's objection to Turkey joining the EU). Nothing has happened to French tours or tourists because of this.

The only reason I can see for ship not calling on Turkey is (pardon the word) ignorant fear on the part of U.S customers canceling or not booking Turkey-bound cruises.

The Armenian-Turkey history, Turkey's Constitution Article 301 and related matters are fascinating and complex..I have tried to avoid them here though .. difficult as it is for me to behave myself. <grin>

Paul

I concur Regards

Archived