Sea Lice

Jan T

Morning

We're going on a southern caribbean cruise departing San Juan on September 19th. I've heard some bad things about sea lice. I understand there is a products you can use that prevents their sting. Is this a serious problem? I've been in the caribbean this time of year and had no problems with any skin irritation. Should I buy this stuff? :confused:

Opinions?

Jan T

"Sea Lice" is the larva of reproducing Thimble Jelly fish. They only reproduce during the Apr-June timeframe in the Caribbean. In Sept you will be fine. However there are other marine organisms that do "sting" so avoid touching anything and you will have no worries.

Rich

I have encounterd sea lice on many many a night dive. They are around in December and April for sure. I have gotten back to my hotel to shower and found hundreds in my wet suit and hair and eye brows and never once recieved a sting. Thumble jelly fish...the yellow ones do sting and if you encounter them do not thrash about...move slowly and I carry a sting-ease stick...helps with insect bites and a coral or jellyfish sting.:)

I've had Sea Lice more times than I want to remember .... and yes they are usually out between April & July (on the islands they will tell you to watch out from Mothers Day to Fathers Day, as this is the worst time.) The ones I've been bitten by are so small, as they are jellyfish larva, that they are barely visable to the eye. Here's a link to some older info on them.

http://www.fau.edu/safe/sea-lice.html

Don't know if any of the sea lice products work to repel them, Benadryl Gel will help after you've been stung. Hopefully since you're going in Sept., you won't encounter any!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We will be in the Sea of Cortes (Loreto, La Paz, and Cabo) in two weeks and are snorkling each city. I've been warned about tiny jellyfish there but never heard of sea lice. What can you tell me about sea lice in the Sea of Cortes? What product(s) should I buy, both the repel and after a sting???

Thanks!:confused:

Do an internet search of a product called Safe Sea. They have a website that gives all the info about the product and what/when to use it. I bought mine at drugstore.com. It has an SPF of 50 in it which is great. You can buy it with no SPF too. The label on the bottle says "Helps prevent stings from Jellyfish and Sea Lice". From what I read, it is about 80% effective which are pretty good odds compared to not using it at all and suffering the consequences.

ok now I'm freaking out! Where do these sea lice frequent ??? we love to snorkel and didnt have any problems last Aug. in the caribbean and bahamas. Are they usualy on the ocean bottom ???? We are cruising the caribbean in may, what are we in for :(

ok now I'm freaking out! Where do these sea lice frequent ??? we love to snorkel and didnt have any problems last Aug. in the caribbean and bahamas. Are they usualy on the ocean bottom ???? We are cruising the caribbean in may, what are we in for :(
I believe they are on or close to the surface of the water. I been stung snorkeling in St. Lucia in May, as well diving in Florida in May. When I first learned about them, the word on the islands was to watch out from Mothers Day to Fathers Day - in other words, May & June are the worst months. Then again, I've snorkeled in quite a few spots in May with no problems at all ...

I believe they are on or close to the surface of the water. I been stung snorkeling in St. Lucia in May, as well diving in Florida in May. When I first learned about them, the word on the islands was to watch out from Mothers Day to Fathers Day - in other words, May & June are the worst months. Then again, I've snorkeled in quite a few spots in May with no problems at all ...
Thank you, I guess we better add the meds for this to our list, then since we brought them we wont need them :) I hope!:)

Thank you, I guess we better add the meds for this to our list, then since we brought them we wont need them :) I hope!:)

I now travel with Benadryl gel - and other than a few mosquito bites, don't think I've used it much ... so hopefully you're right!

Archived