Are there any action/aventure type activities on N.E. cruise itineraries?

Rudebob

My wife has always been a good sport to go along with my choice for cruise itineraries (usually the Caribbean, although I don’t think she suffered much with the choices). She has always wanted to do a New England cruise trip because she is looking for a change of weather and scenery (we live in the southwest desert). So we are going on the Crown next week with several other couples. Although the people we are going with will make the trip fun from a social standpoint I am still at a loss for what activities are available that I can actually look forward to on this cruise.

I am not a spectator or the sightseeing type. I like to participate in adrenaline type activities. Five minutes of looking at fall leaves will last me a life time. Seeing a mansion does not excite me unless they have a garage full of toys. I don’t want to ride on a boat (tour) unless it’s fast and I am driving it, skiing/wakeboarding behind it, or using it to get a location for scuba diving.

Don’t get me wrong. I love my wife and just spending time with her and away from work will still be great vaction. I will still eat well, rest well, and take in a brewery tour or two. I was just hoping I might find some action/adventure type activity I could do while on this trip. But after reviewing all the cruise excursion literature and going to different websites I have yet to read about anything that sounds that exciting? Any ideas?

Thanks,

‘Bob

My wife has always been a good sport to go along with my choice for cruise itineraries (usually the Caribbean, although I don’t think she suffered much with the choices). She has always wanted to do a New England cruise trip because she is looking for a change of weather and scenery (we live in the southwest desert). So we are going on the Crown next week with several other couples. Although the people we are going with will make the trip fun from a social standpoint I am still at a loss for what activities are available that I can actually look forward to on this cruise.

I am not a spectator or the sightseeing type. I like to participate in adrenaline type activities. Five minutes of looking at fall leaves will last me a life time. Seeing a mansion does not excite me unless they have a garage full of toys. I don’t want to ride on a boat (tour) unless it’s fast and I am driving it, skiing/wakeboarding behind it, or using it to get a location for scuba diving.

Don’t get me wrong. I love my wife and just spending time with her and away from work will still be great vaction. I will still eat well, rest well, and take in a brewery tour or two. I was just hoping I might find some action/adventure type activity I could do while on this trip. But after reviewing all the cruise excursion literature and going to different websites I have yet to read about anything that sounds that exciting? Any ideas?

Thanks,

‘Bob

We have done it all - cross country with all the National Parks and Disneyland, a dude ranch, Walt Disney World and many local east coast trips. We, too, are on a Canada New England cruise out of NY on Sat. We do not generally book tours with the ship. We have done this particular cruise in 2004 on the Grand Princess so we have visited the ports of call. We did book again since NY is very close to home and the cruise price couldn't be beat.

In Halifax, we will most likely visit the Citadel again. It is a Canadian fort and pretty neat. The last time they didn't fire the cannon at noon - some problem with blasting caps stuck at the US border. The city is very beautiful and has a lot to see. In St John, we would like to go to reversing falls. They do have a adventure trip here you might be interested in. (I cannot do this since at the dude ranch I injured my back in a cattle drive fall off the back of a horse snce the reign snapped off and I went off the back of her!)

Boston has the Freedom Trail and the city itself is full of history. Bar Harbor has Acadia NP and is a nice walking town as is Newport.

The cruise should be a nice change of scenery as well as weather for the two of you. Make the best of your time spent on the east coast. Any other questions, please ask.

I did this itin in '03 and am doing again next year with new DH.. There is kayaking I know in Bar Harbor and probably Portland. Hiking in Acadia National Park (Bar Harbor).... the Reversing Rapids in St. John.. and probably more I can't think of.. IMHO this is a wonderful itin because you can do so much on your own. Ships tender in Bar Harbor so I will be booking a tour there just to get off sooner.. we get priority tender disembarks on Princess but it can take a while and this is a port to maximize you time in.. one thing thre that's pretty neat is the "lobster boat lulu" (you can google it> unique thing for a day)

Archived