Review of Western Blues Cruise?

fabby50

We're thinking of signing up for next year's Mexico blues cruise. Since this was the first year of it, I was wondering if anyone who just got back could review it? We have cruised on Holland before and found it a little stuffy, although they had great food. We're thinking with it being a blues cruise, the atmosphere will be a little more relaxed. How were the port versus non port days?

Any go this year and have some insight?

Thanks in advance -

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from the Blues Cruise on the Oosterdam. Actually, it was year 2 - the east coast cruise started in 2002. Do not hesitate to sign up asap. Next year we'll be on the Ryndam, a much smaller ship and it is sure to sell out quickly. The music was fabulous. My favorite was Elvin Bishop. The experience is nothing like a regular Holland America ship. NO dress code whatsoever! Totally laid back. The crew kept telling us how much they liked us because we treat them like family - some said they are even requesting to be assigned to the Ryndam (or Eurodam in Jan. 2009). The aft pool is covered for a seating/dance floor and a stage was set up on the side. The Lido pool is available for those who want to swim, but there really isn't time because there are shows/workshops almost non-stop in most of the venues at all times of the day. This was our 13th Blues Cruise. You will love it. Trust me.

Tell them Sheila told you!:)

Thank you so much! We are trying to get several family members to go with us and they were worried about it being "stuffy" since it's HAL. I didn't think that would be the case. Now all I have to do is get about 20 people organized to go somewhere together!

• 1 month later...

We were on the OCT07 cruise and have already put deposits on the next 2 available, OCT08 and JAN09.

This is the thing to do if you love the Blues. Every genre of Blues is available, from acoustic to electric, traditional to modern. It's all there to listen to, almost 24/7, but not really, because there is a little break here and there.

We had not planned any shore excursions, but we did go to Cabo just to ride the tender.

The cruise line, Holland America, could not have been more accommodating. As a group, we are welcomed and anything you want is provided. There are very few children and I'd be interested in the average age, but the majority of the crowd is 45+. It is not inexpensive and the cheaper staterooms go first.

NO DRESS CODE for anything unless you participate in a theme night costume which is entirely up to you and your interpretation.

It's been 6 weeks and I'm still excited each time I think about it. IT IS ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC, but the cruise was good, too!

Archived