*Are you treated different booking thru Priceline?*

roe2ship

I have just educated myself a bit with the bidding process with Priceline. I have noticed that some hotels, I think the Marriot Marina and Hyatt Pier 66 I believe have tower rooms and then another short 2 story building across from them. These other buidings do not look too appealing. So my question is...in your past experience, since you are paying much less than the rack rate, do you usually end up with a room not to your taste?

One other thing, what hotels are directly on the beach where you can see the ships leave port? TIA

When you win a hotel room on priceline, you normally will get the cheapest room available. Remembering what you are paying compared to the going rate for this same room that others have paid.

So if you are looking for one of the premium rooms, better book it directly as winning on PriceLine, you just can't be picky about what you end up with.

Once you book, you can call the hotel direct (always confirm your reservation) and request non smoking, oceanview, high floor etc.........they will normally make note of your requests, but it is simply a request.......doesn't mean when you get there all of your requests will be honored........as Toto says, more times than not, you will have a nice clean room but may not get oceanview......you have to decide if it is worth what you are saving.

Some of the hotels allow you to pay a little extra to upgrade what you got on Priceline. You may want to look into that possibility prior to bidding. Even paying for an upgrade you usually end up paying far less than if you booked direct. It's at least worth considering.

I feel the savings is well worth getting what ever room they put me in. If I want the full price, often times 50% or more higher. Also, I have never even had somebody mention the fact that my room was a priceline room when checking in.

You can always try the "$20 upgrade" trick, which works extremely well in Las Vegas. Upon checking in, inquire if there is something a little more desirable available while making it clear that a $20 bill is available for the check-in person. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. :D

I did priceline and got the marriot marina for $65 this summer. When I checked in, the guy automatically asked me if I wanted to be in the tower to see the ship come in the port the following morning. It is a wonderful hotel and I was treated no diffrentely than if I booked the hotel myself. They ae very customer friendly at the Marriot Marina.

So much hotel traffic these days comes from Priceline and other discount hotel booking agents, generally, the front desk clerks don't bat an eye and will treat you as any other client and honor any reasonable requests when able. Some hotels, however, will give you that "second class citizen" feeling. As others have said, you shouldn't care too much as long as you get a decent accommodation for a great price!

http://www.biddingfortravel.com remains an invaluable resource for hotel reviews and bidding assistance -- you can tell by the reviews how Priceline customers are being received. Another fab resource is fellow Cruise Critic Amber's site, http://www.biddingfun.com

Some of the hotels allow you to pay a little extra to upgrade what you got on Priceline. You may want to look into that possibility prior to bidding. Even paying for an upgrade you usually end up paying far less than if you booked direct. It's at least worth considering.

We just did do this in Fort Laudedale at the Wyndham. $20 got us a concierge floor room with a complementary full breakfast.

We have used Priceline many times and always been more than happy with the results. We have stayed at the Marriott twice and have had the tower both times - no questions or request, automatic.

When we checked into the Hyatt Pier 66 a little different story. Last summer - $75, a good price. The tower is in the focal point and then the rest of the hotel is 2 stories forming a huge square. We were given the furthest corner from the front desk, approx 2 block walk. We asked about moving closer to the front and they were quick to remind us 'that we had booked through priceline and as a result this is what we get'. We could have upgraded to a closer room for $50 but it would not be the tower. The room was nice and clean and all of the facilities were available to us. I'm not saying that we would never try for it again - it's a beautiful hotel - it's just that the front desk's attitude let you know that you got a deal - don't ask for more.

Hey, it definitely didn't ruin our holiday and we had a great night's sleep.

The two times I've stayed at a hotel via Priceline I have checked out the reviews of the hotel beforehand, figured out where I want our room to be, i.e. tower or garden view, etc. and requested it. I have never once been denied a request. Personally, if they give me a "second class citizen" look I could care less. They're not paying my bills. :rolleyes:

We also join the various hotel rewards programs (free sign-up) for Hilton, Marriott, etc. After I get my bid accepted on Priceline I call the hotel, confirm the reservation, give them my rewards member number, and make my requests for non-smoking room and king bed. Haven't encountered any problems at check-in, requests have always been honored, and usually receive an upgraded room.

We also join the various hotel rewards programs (free sign-up) for Hilton, Marriott, etc. After I get my bid accepted on Priceline I call the hotel, confirm the reservation, give them my rewards member number, and make my requests for non-smoking room and king bed. Haven't encountered any problems at check-in, requests have always been honored, and usually receive an upgraded room.

I thought you couldn't get reward points for bookings made through Priceline??

I agree with Beachlovergirl....after you get the hotel info, call and request exactly what you want. Also give them your Rewards number (it costs nothing to join). You are not supposed to get Rewards points when you book through Priceline, but your status as a Rewards member is still noted, and that makes a difference in several ways, depending on the program...usually a free newspaper and late checkout at a minimum.

I always do this and have NEVER had any clerk mention my status on priceline. I don't think the clerks care. At this point, they are just going to give you a room....and if you are specific about what you want, they will try to accommodate you. Rewards status help this, as rooms are sometimes set aside for this category.

Finally, the point of Chris and others about asking for an available upgrade is also very good. You can sometimes get a very nice deal. Other times, the value isn't so good. It is all a matter of perspective and how much it means to upgrade the view and/or amenities from a standard room.

Generally, if you SMILE and ask nicely, good things happen.

BP

We have used PriceLine many times and maybe we are the rare case, but we have been told when enquiring about upgrades and rewards numbers that with a PriceLine booking, no changes can be made and no reward points given. Maybe some of you others were lucky with this. But we have always been told 'point blank' that this is something that is just not done. Maybe it has something to do with the hotel chain we book with, I have no idea.

Now if there is $$$ involved to purchase things like upgrades, you never know, but I would not count on anything special except a comfortable and less expensive room when booking through PriceLine.

I use priceline hotels and rental cars all the time. I have considered using the $20 to the desk clerk upgrade system, but I have not worked up the nerve to try it yet. Normally I'm really friendly to the check in clerk, and I ask questions about the city, let them know I have never been there before, and politely ask for a room with a nice view. It works most of the time.:)

I agree with Beachlovergirl....after you get the hotel info, call and request exactly what you want. Also give them your Rewards number (it costs nothing to join). You are not supposed to get Rewards points when you book through Priceline, but your status as a Rewards member is still noted, and that makes a difference in several ways, depending on the program...usually a free newspaper and late checkout at a minimum.

I always do this and have NEVER had any clerk mention my status on priceline. I don't think the clerks care. At this point, they are just going to give you a room....and if you are specific about what you want, they will try to accommodate you. Rewards status help this, as rooms are sometimes set aside for this category.

Finally, the point of Chris and others about asking for an available upgrade is also very good. You can sometimes get a very nice deal. Other times, the value isn't so good. It is all a matter of perspective and how much it means to upgrade the view and/or amenities from a standard room.

Generally, if you SMILE and ask nicely, good things happen.

BP

Yes, that's what I mean.....I don't care about not receiving rewards points, just that I am a rewards member has to mean more than if you aren't a member. I'm not expecting to be put in an oceanfront room either. If the hotel's standard room rate is $189, and I paid $70 on Priceline, I'm a happy camper. :D

We used Priceline last year for Ft. Lauderdale. We got the Double Tree Ocean Front. Hotel was a little worn. Our room needed to be recleaned. The balcony chairs never got cleaned, they were filthy with bird stuff on it. After winning the bid on Priceline I did call the hotel to confirm my res., ask for a smoking room, and ask about a possible upgrade with pay. I was told to see about the upgrade at checkin. Upon checkin I inquired and was told no as I had a special rate with Priceline and they didn't know how much I paid therefore I would have to take the room I had. Thats not what XXX said on ??? date. She was wrong was the reply. I told her I had the reciept which indicated what I had paid. She said no. I asked for a manager. Manager said the same thing and then proceeded to say she hates it when Priceline people come in asking for free upgrades. I reminded her that I was more than willing to pay the difference. As it turned out. Our room was a non-smoking room. By the time we realized this, a new shift started the next manager gave us an upgraded room (oceanview), on a smoking floor for free, since it was indicated in on our reservation that we requested a smoking room, and the lower smoking rooms had been given out. Had the original manager honored my request, they would have made money on the upgrade instead of giving it to me for free, due the original clerks oversight. I left a long comment on my comment card. Manager called me a couple of weeks later and offered an free night. We will take him up on it. Oceanview room of course.

I probably won't use Priceline again, the Manager rectified the incident, but I much prefer to know what type of room I'm getting even if it means I spend a little more. I'm also finding that if I book directly online some hotels have great internet rates. You must pay for the entire stay at time of booking but same as Priceline. So, I'm not losing there.

Using Priceline and then getting in a huff about not being able to get an upgrade (wheather you pay extra or not) in my opinion is unreasonable. It's like the advice given on questions concerning cruise ship upgrades, "don't book a cabin that you will be unhappy with if you don't get upgraded". I always call the hotel directly, after I get a Priceline booking, and make a special request for a non-smoking room with a King size bed and a view. I've always gotten a non-smoking room and most of the time my bed preferance. If I also have a nice view its just icing on the cake.

I was relieved to see on Priceline webssite that their default choice for all reservations is Non-Smoking. I called Renaissance FLL today (Aug 31) to confirm our Oct priceline reservation and sure enough they had it. I requested non-smoking and asked about upgrades. She said that there are no upgrades for Priceline. That is fine with me. However, if they act discourteously, I will write to the Marriot Prez that either they treat Priceline reservations with respect or stop giving rooms to Priceline. It is a two-way street. No one is asking these Hotels to be a part of Priceline. They CHOOSE to participate in Priceline. /Sultan

I have always been treated well by using Priceline. I even had the Embassy Suites check-in person tell me how well I did on Priceline when I gave her my printed confirmation sheet. I probably paid 30% of what the going rate was.

I have never asked for an upgrade and if I did - I would understand why I would be turned down, even for a paid upgrade. When one is paying $60 for a $200/night room and offer $20 for an upgrade - it still doesn't add up. Unless the hotel is empty and has no chance of selling that better room.....

I do expect the hotel to honor the non-smoking request. I would raise the issue if this was not addressed.

Archived