Charleston restaurant suggestion (lunch)

Martita B.

Jestine's Kitchen.

It is world famous for its Southern cookin' and deservedly so. Fried greed tomatoes, collared greens, fried chicken, and catfish. Awesome meal.

It is very casual and if you do not arrive early you may find yourself waiting in a line around the block...but even then it is well worth it. We got there about 10 minutes before it opened and didn't have a wait, but 15 minutes later the line was long.

Here's a list which I assume you have already found:

http://www.10best.com/Charleston,SC/Restaurants/Best_Restaurants/index.html

I liked Magnolia and Charleston Grill the best, the last time I was there. You can also buy some of the wonderful sweetgrass woven baskets in the market.

Eric, pardon me, but I can't see our Martita standing on line, she always leads it!

Good morning Martha....

I stayed at the Charleston Place on King Street - its centrally located to shops & sites & the hotel has both a lounge for lite lunch / tea & full restaurant & bar(both are beautiful)...I had one of the best meals ever in the restaurant... I asked the Italian somelier to pair wines with an all seafood menu picked by the chef....its an intersting place w/ interesting people...at one end of the bar was an elderly man each evening...the waiter told me every few months he tells his kids he is going to find a retirement home & stays at great hotels for a month or so & then returns home telling the kids he was not happy at that"home". He spends the month or so eating & drinking to his hearts content & the kids never catch on...he he he..our kind of guy!!!!

Wishing you Bon Voyage Martha!!!!

Hi Rotty ~~it's me, Miss Pinkie! Sooo happy to see you're posting!

(I watched "Now Voyager" the other evening on T.V. and thought of YOU the entire movie! awwww, to be in Rio with dear Jerry!;) )

Jane~~Okey Dokey......votes are in and it shall be The Charleston Grill ~~sounds perfect! I'll look for the woven baskets.

I also do want to browse the market.

Mucho Gracias, Amigos!

Martita B.

Eric, pardon me, but I can't see our Martita standing on line, she always leads it!

I figured Martita would be there right at the front as no one would be messin' with her! It seems, however, the elegance over "home cookin'" seems to fit the bill.

Remember as you walk through all the shops that many of them used to be slave shops and shelters. That did kind of bothered me, but that history has not been forgotten in the remembrances of it noted throughout...if you look.

Here are my suggestions, as a local not in the hospitality industry:

1. The best upscale "gourmet" lunch in town is Slightly North of Broad, also known as SNOBS. The lunch price makes it a real bargain, compared to dinner. It is upscale, and filled with business people at lunch, and locals. Interesting food. Located directly on East Bay, nearly around the corner from the dock. Walk straight off the boat and make a left.

2. In my second place is the lunch restaurant in the Charleston Place Hotel, but it is not the Charleston Grill, as the Grill is only open for dinner. This choice is much more costly than SNOBS, but the food is standard excellent, although the service can be slow sometimes. This is on the corner of Market and Meeting. Walking distance.

3. Another choice, and very casual, is Fleet Landing. You will practically dock there. Again very reasonably priced and very casual. Fresh food and large portions.

4. My pick for great and fun Southern barbecue is Nick & Jims - not as well publicized as other restaurants, but great food. This is on King Street. A little further walk than the others. They also have nice big salads.

Certainly enjoy Charleston and I hope you have wonderful weather. We are a terrific city!

Archived