Qantas Aussie Airpass

CruisinKiki

You have to be careful about the overall cost. If you buy domestic flights direct from the Qantas website, you can get very good pricing because the website gives you access to "sold in Australia" fares, which are very often lower than the fares available for sale outside the Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific area. So it's worth pricing the trip both ways round to see what is better.

If you have enough time to shop you can probabaly do better. Just keep your eye on fares on a regular basis. We used 4 domestic one way flights and came out cheaper. We used two Qantas and two Virgin Blue flights. The latter is fine, although it seems to get a bad rap periodically - they are no frills, so you have to buy whatever you want on board. We also didn't have any problem on Virgin with luggage, which was tagged "Heavy" each time. To me that signified a little overweight, but they let it go. Shop around and sign up for notifications from both airlines for sale fares. I noticed that as we got closer to our flight dates the fares did go up, so we were glad we purchased them well ahead.

• 2 months later...
If you have enough time to shop you can probabaly do better. Just keep your eye on fares on a regular basis.
For what it's worth, there's a Qantas sale on at the moment. I haven't managed to post about it until now, but I've just been reminded that it's still on and has been extended until midnight (AEDT) Monday 7 January 2008. The fares are valid for travel between 15 January and 15 March, and 29 April and 19 June 2008. Sample one-way fares include:-
Sydney to 

[indent]Brisbane           $89  
Melbourne          $95  
Canberra           $95  
Gold Coast         $98  
Adelaide           $115  
Hobart             $125  
Cairns             $159  
Alice Springs      $198  
Perth              $205  
Darwin             $209  
Ayers Rock (Uluru) $215 [/indent]

For what it's worth, there's a Qantas sale on at the moment. I haven't managed to post about it until now, but I've just been reminded that it's still on and has been extended until midnight (AEDT) Monday 7 January 2008. The fares are valid for travel between 15 January and 15 March, and 29 April and 19 June 2008.

Similarly for what it's worth, Virgin Blue (www.virginblue.com.au) also has a sale on at the moment covering much the same period as indicated above ... the exclusion period covers Easter and the various autumn school breaks in our various states. Generally, but not always, Virgin's prices are a little below Qantas' ... for example, without checking the the sale email I got yesterday from them, Virgin's Sydney/Brisbane sale fare is $69 I think compared to $89 from QF.

Cheers

Bob

Archived