dining on Mediterranian cruise

m steve

We'll be cruising next summer on Zuiderdam and wondered if the use a different menu to take advantage of local foods of Italy, Greece and Turkey? The cruise is 24 days with 4 overnights and hope we won't see the same menus we are familiar with in the Caribbean. Any help?

I'm hoping to hear some examples from those that have traveled the mediterranean. We too are going to be there next year and hope the same as you. There are some many wonderful regional specialties that I hope the ship takes advantage of.

I was on Westerdam and going back to the Med again (on the Noordam). I did not notice anything special with exception of the late night Buffet with Foods from the Med. That was when they showcased all the diff ports on the cruise such as Greece, France, Turkey, Italy, Sicily.

I don't remember any specifics, but IIRC at dinner there were some "nods" to the cuisine of the country we were visiting ... one entree and one soup, etc.

I do remember on the Westerdam in the Baltic at lunch one day there was a seafood buffet with herring in several different styles! I love pickled herring! :D

Unfortunately, cruise lines don't seem to vary menus -- we have cruise on two TA and various lines in the through Europe and the middle east including: the old Royal Cruise Line, Crystal, Princess, Holland America and Celebrity cruise lines. All pretty much offerred the same type of menu items.

I do think this is an area where cruise lines miss opportunities both relative to food and entertainment.

Have often thought it is too bad more local entertainment is not featured as well.

Only on a few occasions have they brought on local entertainment and generally it has been during the afternoon while in port. Most folks are off on tours and miss this local color.

We often shop while in port for local bakery items (my husband has a sweet tooth and we are not impressed with the desserts on most ship).

There was extra pasta dishes on our Western Med. cruise, Italian wines, a Tapas buffet late night, and lots of prosciutto and carpaccio. Maybe some soups but I really expected more Med. cuisine. Of course, there was that over-served dessert, Tiramisu, which became popular after the Meg Ryan movie.

In Baltic besides the Swedish seafood buffet and lots of Salmon, we had Brats and sauerkraut with an oompah band at the lido pool in Warnamunde. I think I remember Borscht and Russian vodka. Also the night we left Finland, a dessert cake (I think called Princess cake) was offered. I had seen it in a window in Helsinki for about $6 a small slice so I was happy to try it on board. Delicious.

Archived