Katmai & Savonoski Loop

GMoney

Hi All - I'm considering a trip next summer to kayak the Savonoski loop in the Katmai Natl Park.

I'm looking for feedback on both. It looks like a beautiful, isolated area with great bear watching. Any comments on your experience? Thanks!

Hi All - I'm considering a trip next summer to kayak the Savonoski loop in the Katmai Natl Park.

I'm looking for feedback on both. It looks like a beautiful, isolated area with great bear watching. Any comments on your experience? Thanks!

We spent two glorious nights in Katmai this past July. The bears are only roaming the area when the salmon are running, which I believe is in July and September. We were there mid July and when at the falls, saw around 25 bears at a time. It was incredible to be able to observe their behaviors and how they fished and declared their dominancy over other bears. There's also a nice bus tour to Land of 10,000 Smokes - the reason Katmai is a National Park.

I can't comment on the kayaking, but loved watching the bears and hiking in Land of the 10,000 Smokes.

We stayed in the cabins (3 adults), but if you camp, would recommend the campground since the cabins are insanely expensive and the service is fair at best. The lodge serves food for the cabins and camp ground guests.

I read about that loop. I would definitely not go alone. I would also write to the NPS office in King Salmon to ask about it. They were extremely helpful when I wrote about a year ago when planning my July 2007 trip there. They will send you info about kayaking/canoeing the loop, tips on where to stay, etc.

It probably goes without saying, but I would not do that alone. Bear encounters are always a possibility and you don't want to be stranded alone.

John

Archived