Alaskan cruise

iwmi1997

We are planning a cruise to Alaska, the travel agent has suggested Holland cruise line. We would also like to take a cruise tour. We were thinking of flying into Seattle or Vancouver. Does anyone have any suggestions on the cruise and cruise tour? Is Holland the best cruise line for this cruise?

Haven't done a cruise tour in years. But would suggest one that has Denali included.

Also would suggest that you do the cruise tour first and then the cruise. The cruise tours can turn into very long days. That way you have the cruise to rest up. Also by going to Anchorage first you get the longest flights over with.

iwmi1997: we have sailed to Alaska 4 times on HAL and think they do a great job!

Our first Alaska cruise included a post-cruise land tour and it was great, too. Having done it that way, I agree with Krazy Kruizer: consider doing the land tour first.

That way you will get all of the luggage packing/handling issues out of the way once you board the ship.

In our case, before we disembarked, HAL told us that we would not see our checked baggage until we got to Fairbanks, 3 days later. So we had to pack enough clothing, etc. to last us 3 days in carry-on bags. It was a bit of a hassle especially having come off a 7 day cruise where we unpacked when we got onboard and re-packed 7 days later. I guess we got spoiled.

Also, cruising south from Seward, IMO you will likely have a better choice of flights home from either Vancouver or Seattle, then you would from Fairbanks.

However, regardless of which way you eventually choose, Alaska is wonderful! Hope you have a great cruise!

I agree with all the previous comments. HAL is the choice of many in Alaska and I've been on a cruise-tour with them. The joke in Alaska is that HAL owns all there is to see in Alaska except Mt. McKinley and they're trying to buy that too. Seriously, if you take a cruise-tour, HAL owns the hotels you stay in, the restaurants you eat in and the tourists places you visit. The good thing is that they control everything to your advantage. So if your bus is late to a stop, they will keep the restaurant open for your dinner since you've paid for it! It is an exhausting trip with lots of bus riding into the interior so the cruise at the end is definitely a more relaxing trip. If you aren't doing a cruise-tour and just an Alaskan cruise (which I've also done) it is not so important and I'd just go with whichever line appeals to you.

Enjoy!

Sue Ann

My vote is for Princess. Specifically, the Diamond Princess. The Diamond has the most and best viewing areas in my opinion. Some of the ships were not designed for this itinerary, so they have a lot of tinted glass(6 feet high+) in outside viewing areas, so people crowd at the open deck areas without glass.

We are planning a cruise to Alaska, the travel agent has suggested Holland cruise line. We would also like to take a cruise tour. We were thinking of flying into Seattle or Vancouver. Does anyone have any suggestions on the cruise and cruise tour? Is Holland the best cruise line for this cruise?

As you can see it's all subjective, guess it depends on which cruise line your loyal to. You won't be sorry cruising with Holland.

I suggest you post this over on the Alaska board. You'll probably read alot of comments stating that you should not do a cruise tour with HAL, but rather book your own land travel independently. It's said to save a lot of money and give you control over your time. However, there are lots of people who do book these tours and are very happy with them. Also, a land tour would would work for you better if it's in conjunction with a one way cruise either from Anchorage or Vancouver. Your land tour could either be before or after your cruise. Yeah, good idea to go over to the Alaska board for this one.

Archived