Harrison caves

SilverFoxLady

Are Harrison caves still an option.... Are they open.... and if so... where are they located and how do you get there...Our cruise ship does not seem to offer any excursions to them...

We are going to be there in February 08...

Have been to Barbados a couple of times before... but never got to the caves... sure hope they are available...

Thanks for any help

At the moment the caves are not open. they have been under refurbishment since Jun 06 with a small opening during March/April 07 during the Cricket World Cup. Hopefully they will open at the end of November for the start of the 2007-2008 tourist season.

I would say that after they reopen, your cruise line will likely add tours to the excursions list since you are not sailing until Feb 08.

Just read the following post. It looks like Harrison's might have reopened after all.

October 11th, 2007, 12:27 PM

sun.gifpholter user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_11963704", true);

Blue Ribbon Cruiser

im_aim.gif

icon1.gif

This was our day and it was wonderful!! :) The lunch was local flavored with a couple of different options. Sarah can email you details of the current situation though for sure.

We made our first stop at Harrison’s Cave where we rode a tram through the cave, which was discovered in the 1970’s. We saw underground pools and a waterfall, many rock formations, and lots of stalagmites and stalagtites. Then, we were off to Bathsheba beach to see one of the best surfing capitols in the world. We watched a guy riding some waves and stopped for some great photos. Ricky was our driver and guide. He pointed out lots of great history of the island and where all the stars lived, too. We stopped for a local flavored lunch at the Sand Dunes Bar & Restaurant which was delicious! Off to the Wildlife Preserve was next to see all the Green Monkeys, Peacocks, Turtles, and many other species. This place is really cool because you walk around through their surroundings and they walk and play freely right there with you or in front of you. Ricky bought us all a Rum Punch to round out our stay at the preserve. We drove to the dock to meet their new boat and captain next. It was a great glass-bottom boat with a huge deck to lay out on top and covered seating below. They again pointed out all the cool houses and who they belonged to. We got really close to Tom Selleck’s house and saw where Tiger Wood’s got married, etc. Everyone swam with the turtles and snorkled for quite a while. We all viewed the beautiful coral and fish through the glass bottom of the boat. It was very cool and a great way to end the day. This tour was from 9am- 5pm(ish).

Just read the following post. It looks like Harrison's might have reopened after all.

October 11th, 2007, 12:27 PM

sun.gifpholter user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_11963704", true);

Blue Ribbon Cruiser

im_aim.gif

icon1.gif

This was our day and it was wonderful!! :) The lunch was local flavored with a couple of different options. Sarah can email you details of the current situation though for sure.

We made our first stop at Harrison’s Cave where we rode a tram through the cave, which was discovered in the 1970’s. We saw underground pools and a waterfall, many rock formations, and lots of stalagmites and stalagtites. Then, we were off to Bathsheba beach to see one of the best surfing capitols in the world. We watched a guy riding some waves and stopped for some great photos. Ricky was our driver and guide. He pointed out lots of great history of the island and where all the stars lived, too. We stopped for a local flavored lunch at the Sand Dunes Bar & Restaurant which was delicious! Off to the Wildlife Preserve was next to see all the Green Monkeys, Peacocks, Turtles, and many other species. This place is really cool because you walk around through their surroundings and they walk and play freely right there with you or in front of you. Ricky bought us all a Rum Punch to round out our stay at the preserve. We drove to the dock to meet their new boat and captain next. It was a great glass-bottom boat with a huge deck to lay out on top and covered seating below. They again pointed out all the cool houses and who they belonged to. We got really close to Tom Selleck’s house and saw where Tiger Wood’s got married, etc. Everyone swam with the turtles and snorkled for quite a while. We all viewed the beautiful coral and fish through the glass bottom of the boat. It was very cool and a great way to end the day. This tour was from 9am- 5pm(ish).

Thats great news! Thanks.

On what board did you get it from?

I just got all excited..... then I traced this review ...it was from Carnival Destiny 10/17 to 10/24 2004..

So unless I am missing something....I am still waiting to hear if they are reopening sometime this November 2007...

I am holding off doing any excursions in Barbados for a while... as we still have a few months to go..........

Thanks to anyone here trying to help........I sure do hope they open soon as I really want to do this one............

As a local, I can assure you that the caves are not open.. The plan is to open for the Winter Season which officially here doesn't begin until December 15th.. although I think they were trying for the end of November.

Trust me.. I can assure you that your cruise lines will add the Harrison's Cave Excursions back to their lists as soon as the caves reopen.

Two days ago, I gave them a ring.

They said they were trying for the end of November as a re-opening 'date',

but that's still five weeks away so no firm date yet.

So let's assume early December.

We'll try to keep you informed.

Believe me, they know they're Tourist Attraction Numero Uno

and they're losing money by not being open,

so they're workin hard at it to make it by end of November!

Archived