Please Explain the Frequent-Cruiser Benefits on NCL

petesweet

We cruise NCL sometimes, but mostly Royal Caribbean. We like the loyalty benefits RCCL provides.

I am, however, wanting to see what we can get with cruising on NCL more often so I can compare. I do like the check-in benefits for Latitudes members. I am looking into getting an NCL credit card but don't quite understand the benefits.

1. With the points earned on the credit card, it looks as though we can get only upgrades or discounts on future cruises. Is that correct? No onboard credit?

2. When we sail in May, we play to buy some $250 coupons for a Bermuda cruise on NCL. I understand in that case we DO get onboard credit--$100 for each coupon bought--and that applies to the cruise on which we would currently be sailing. Correct? (Total of $200 OBC.) That's nice.

3. If we buy two of these coupons ($500) using our NCL credit card, we would get 20 points. Right? That doesn't seem like much compared with what we get for our RCCL credit card, but maybe I'm not understanding it correctly.

Are there other money-saving tips for NCL cruisers? Thanks.

2. When we sail in May, we play to buy some $250 coupons for a Bermuda cruise on NCL. I understand in that case we DO get onboard credit--$100 for each coupon bought--and that applies to the cruise on which we would currently be sailing. Correct? (Total of $200 OBC.) That's nice.

I can't help with your other questions, but e-mail me for the handouts on the Cruise Rewards program.

Whether you've cruised with NCL one or a hundred times, everyone enjoys the perks of being a Latitudes member with the exciting enhancement to NCL's past guest program.

All of the cruises you've taken with NCL since you were enrolled in the Latitudes program count towards your membership level. So pack your vacation bags and cruise your way to more benefits!

Take a moment and review all the benefits available in the different levels of membership. With the program enhancements, the more you cruise, the more benefits you receive!

Levels of Membership:

BRONZE

SILVER

GOLD

PLATINUM

BRONZE BENEFITS

(members with 1-4 completed cruises*)

Access to Latitudes customer service desk

Complimentary subscription to Latitudes, a quarterly members-only magazine

Latitudes pricing on all sailings

The added enjoyment of Polo Club benefits when sailing on Orient Lines' Marco Polo

Special Latitudes check-in

Latitudes ship pin

Latitudes onboard liaison to answer your questions at sea

Members-only cocktail parties hosted by the Captain

SILVER BENEFITS

(members with 5-8 completed cruises*)

The added enjoyment of Polo Club benefits when sailing on Orient Lines' Marco Polo

Special Latitudes check-in

Latitudes ship pin

Exclusive gathering

Tasty treat delivered to your stateroom two times during your cruise

GOLD BENEFITS

(members with 9-13 completed cruises*)

Priority check-in

Latitudes ship pin

Exclusive gathering

VIP service, which includes:

Welcome basket

Priority restaurant reservations

Priority tender tickets

Priority disembarkation*

Invitation to the Captain's cocktail party

PLATINUM BENEFITS

(members with 14 or more completed cruises*)

Priority check-in

Latitudes ship pin

Members-only cocktail parties hosted by Captain

Exclusive gathering

VIP service, which includes:

Welcome basket

Priority restaurant reservations

Priority tender tickets

Priority disembarkation*

Invitation to the Captain's cocktail party

Complimentary dinner in Le Bistro

We are at the Platinum and I am still wondering exactly what "priority restaurant reservations mean". On our recent Majesty cruise we tried to make reservations at the Pasta restaurant but were told they were all booked. We then asked the concierge to see about a reservation but she later told us she couldn't get anything. I guess I thought they set aside a few spots. for the priority reservations.

1. With the points earned on the credit card, it looks as though we can get only upgrades or discounts on future cruises. Is that correct? No onboard credit?
Much better than onboard credit. Get your point total up to $500, then request a $500 certificate (500 points is worth $500) from Bank of America and apply it to your final payment. We just sent three $500 certificates to NCL last week, and our final payment is going to be so much nicer.

Very nice! We took advantage of the future cruise credit on our last cruise, too. We thought it was great. We only bought one, though; can you purchase multiples?

3. If we buy two of these coupons ($500) using our NCL credit card, we would get 20 points. Right? That doesn't seem like much compared with what we get for our RCCL credit card, but maybe I'm not understanding it correctly.
It's 20 points toward that 500 you need for a $500 coupon.

Petesweet, everyone who posts on this board says the NCL MasterCard beats every other cruiseline's credit card. It has saved us A LOT of money.

BTW, at the very top of the NCL threads is a thread about the BofA Mastercard. You might want to read through that thread for more info.

We are at the Platinum and I am still wondering exactly what "priority restaurant reservations mean". On our recent Majesty cruise we tried to make reservations at the Pasta restaurant but were told they were all booked. We then asked the concierge to see about a reservation but she later told us she couldn't get anything. I guess I thought they set aside a few spots. for the priority reservations.
How far ahead did you contact the concierge? I understand she does have some spots set aside, but even they go fast. On our recent cruise, we got the last spots she had available for Teppanyaki that night.

Hi...

I just finished my first NCL cruise, (4-14Oct on the Dawn), and I wonder if someone could clarify the rewards.

Am I correct in understanding that whether one cruises on a 10 day or a one night cruise to nowhere, they both count the same as one cruise?

Other lines that I have cruised base rewards on mileage, or days traveled, or at least give credit for two cruises if 12 days or longer.

Will NCL send me a Latitudes pin? Or do I have to get it on my next cruise?

How far ahead did you contact the concierge? I understand she does have some spots set aside, but even they go fast. On our recent cruise, we got the last spots she had available for Teppanyaki that night.

We had tried to make reservations ourselves the day before since you can't make them ahead any more.

It may not seam like much when you are accustom to the RCCL point system of $1=1 point, but when you consider that it takes 50,000 RCCL points to equal a $500 certificate and with NCL you only need 500 points for a $500 certificate it is a lot more!

If my math skills are up to speed, that means that you will need to spend $50,000 on the RCCL card and only $16,666.67 on the NCL card to save $500.00 on a cruise.

From a different angle, spend the same $50,000 on both cards and with RCCL you can get $500 off and with NCL you get $1,500 off!

Hi...

I just finished my first NCL cruise, (4-14Oct on the Dawn), and I wonder if someone could clarify the rewards.

Am I correct in understanding that whether one cruises on a 10 day or a one night cruise to nowhere, they both count the same as one cruise?

Other lines that I have cruised base rewards on mileage, or days traveled, or at least give credit for two cruises if 12 days or longer.

Yes, both count the same.

Benefits begin on your second cruise. No pin for the first.

Hi...

That's true. On RCI, however, if you book a Junior Suite or higher, it counts as two cruises. We've been on two little 4-day cruises, and we already have 4 cruises accumulated. One more cruise, on any cabin level, and we'll be in their second tier.

The pins used to be on your bed as you arrived on your next cruise. I read a thread recently where the poster hadn't received theirs, but I'm not sure whether NCL has stopped providing them or is in the process of changing the designs.

We had tried to make reservations ourselves the day before since you can't make them ahead any more.
Next time try contacting the concierge farther ahead of the evening you want the reservations. If you're in a penthouse suite, you can make reservations with her for the entire cruise, and I'm pretty sure that should extend to the Platinum level as well.

On our last cruise (POH Aug. 2007) the pins were given out as you entered the Captain's reception and were doing the handshake line thingy.

We never recieved any of the tasty treats (:confused: ) delivered to our cabin. We did, however, receive them on our previous cruise in April 2007. We are Silver members, BTW. No big deal....as the last thing we want is food in our cabin.....there is plenty of that everywhere else on the ship. Basically, in an inside cabin..there is literally nowhere to set the tray of food down....LOL!!

Cruise More Often, you wondered if you could get more than one coupon. I don't know where I got my information, but I have in notes I took from something that you can get four per cabin. That's a pretty good deal and $400 onboard credit (and 40 points, as I understand it, if I charge that $1000 on my NCL credit card).

Cruise More Often, you wondered if you could get more than one coupon. I don't know where I got my information, but I have in notes I took from something that you can get four per cabin. That's a pretty good deal and $400 onboard credit (and 40 points, as I understand it, if I charge that $1000 on my NCL credit card).

The paperwork I have says four per person. If you have both people in the cabin charging against the same credit card, I think you could double that.

We just got off the Majesty and purchased only one of the cercificates. You are allowed to buy up to 4 per passenger. The cost is $250 and is charged to your onboard account, essentially your credit card tied to the onboard account. You then get a $100 onboard credit. Basically the net cost of the $250 cert is only $150.

However they can only be used for a deposit on a new cruise. The money is tied to your latitudes number and it is like a bank account. When you want to cruise, you or your TA calls a special number and the money comes out of your rewards account and the deposit is funded. If you change your mind about the cruise, the money is simply credited back to your latitudes rewards account. All electronic, very simple for the NCL staff to use. The port consultant said she loves them.

You do get a paper receipt delivered to your cabin for reference. You have a year to book a cruise from the date of purchase and 2 1/2 years to sail. If you don't use them, they expire but you can transfer them to someone else for a $50 transfer fee.

What is also good about this program is that one cercificate is good for a deposit for the entire cabin, regardless of the number of people. This does save you money upfront. I think the exception is the owners villas and possibly suites, which is logical as they are so much more expensive.

Overall this is a good program.:)

One more question and I think I'll have a good understanding. Do you have to have 500 points to get any value from your Visa card? or can you get $100 credit for 100 points, etc.?

• Earn 4 Points for every $100 spent on Norwegian Cruise Line purchases
  • Earn 3 Points for every $100 spent on purchases
  • Redeem for stateroom upgrades or cruise discount.

Points - Stateroom Upgrades

100 - One category upgrade for first person in stateroom

200 - One category upgrade for first and second person in stateroom

300 - Two category upgrade for first person and one category upgrade for second person in stateroom

400 - Two category upgrade for first and second person in stateroom

Points - Cruise Discounts

500 - $500 cruise discount

1,000 - $1,000 cruise discount

1,500 - $1,500 cruise discount

2,000 - $2,000 cruise discount

2,500 - $2,500 cruise discount

3,000 - $3,000 cruise discount

'500 points to get any value...' in theory, No... but in actuality, Yes. The Cruise Discount is a much better value than the Stateroom Upgrades.

Let me preface this by saying that my original post was really to get an understanding of the NCL benefits as opposed to RCCL, not to "pick a fight." I like both cruiselines, and the loyalty benefits sometimes determine which cruise I would decide on--leaning a bit toward RCCL. That said, let me tell you why I have decided to stick with the RCCL loyalty program.

(These examples are based on the recent Hawaii cruise I booked while onboard an RCCL ship.)

1. We got $200 onboard credit toward our next cruise.

2. We will get $250 OBC by virtue of being shareholders in RCCL

depends on length of cruise).

3. We opened two RCCL credit cards--one in my name and one in my

husband's. That gives each of us $150 OBC. We will use ONE

of these on each upcoming cruise.

4. As we use the credit card, we will get a point for each dollar spent

(and two points for each RCCL dollar spent). What I like about

this program as opposed to NCL's is that I don't have to

accumulate 500 points. Granted, except for the introductory

points given, it does take longer to accumulate benefits from

the RCCL credit card, but I can get credits in increments of

$50. Therefore, we will no doubt have $50 credit amassed by

our next year's cruise to Hawaii and at least another $50 by our

next cruise.

Therefore, for the Hawaii cruise, we will have $650 OBC, and for our next cruise with RCCL (Panama Canal) about the same. After that, we won't have the initial $150 available because of the introductory offer for the credit cards. But the other credits will continue to apply.

Now, since we are not big spenders but use our OBC mainly for tips and the occasional excursion--no gambling or liquor--we can cash in any OBC and walk home with money in our pocket.

So I'll stick with RCCL for my main cruising and enjoy the occasional NCL if the price and itinerary beckon to me. Many thanks to all of you for being so helpful.

Archived