In-laws just got back from Sovereign...

They were first time cruisers and they loved it!

However, they had a bit of trouble getting on the ship. They don't have passports yet (yeah I know!) so they took their certified BC and ID's... Well they let my FIL though but stopped my MIL because she didn't have her marriage licence! Now, my inlaws are in their 50's and been married for about 25 years.. so you wouldn't think it was an issue but they gave her a really hard time. Told her she "needed" to have a copy of it faxed to the pier or not board the ship. She was almost in tears when they told her this (and while she was telling me the story!) and didn't know what to do!

It was 3:30 pm and she was so worried that they weren't going to be allowd to board the ship. She said another person came up and asked what was taking so long to get them through the line and my MIL said that they wouldn't let her though without seeing her marriage licence. Apparently the guy said "Well it's getting late, just have her sign the affidavit and get on with it"...

So long story short they got on the ship... I remember seeing posts about women who needed or didn't need their marriage licence. My MIL said that she talked to others who didn't have their passports, married, but wasn't even asked for theirs. Do they randomly check? After that she was so confused because NO WHERE on the RC site says they need a copy of the marriage licence.

Was this an isolated case or are they now requiring them?

We (DH and I) have our passports so I am assuming I don't need my marriage licence and I believe the inlaws are now going to get theirs after this "almost" disaster! :D

Once you have your passport all the other ID's are inferior, like BC and marriage licenses. I took quite a few cruises before I had a passport so she most likely got either caught by a strict/new/ person or it was some sort of random check.

Not sure who is confused, but someone is.

The cruiselines only require a Birth Certificate and a Government issued ID.

I would email customer service and report what happened and see what the explanation could be......:confused:

I have neve been asked for a maraige license when traveling with my husband. NEVER!

I sail tomorrow on Sovereign without my husband. I am at the hotel now, the night before and I thought when packing, my BC and Drivers Lic have dfferent names!!! I brought my marriage license just in case...so THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS. :)

I have never, ever read anything about bringing one, on any cruiseline website, or TA site....anywhere! Poor lady....I feel so sorry for her distress. They should be made to answer to her about this. If indeed for some reason they needed her to sign an affidavit, they should have immediately handed her the form politely and asked her to just sign it, right away, upfront. Done. Move on and have a great time. That is no way to start off a vacation.

Cindy

I've never needed a marriage license! No married woman's birth certificate will show her married name. They just needed to check the birthdate on the birth certificate with the birthdate on the ID.

Crazy! Sorry they gave her a hassle--it shouldn't have happened!

Archived