What are the Perks with a Mini-Suite

CWcruisers

My Husband and I booked a mini-suite on the Island Princess for the Panama Canal 03/22/08. I have read many reviews about perks that come with suites, but I am confused as to the difference between what comes with a mini-suite and a suite. Any Advice?

My Husband and I booked a mini-suite on the Island Princess for the Panama Canal 03/22/08. I have read many reviews about perks that come with suites, but I am confused as to the difference between what comes with a mini-suite and a suite. Any Advice?

Here's a good link for you:

http://www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com/perksA.html

Here you go (mini suite perks are at the bottom):

Suite Amenities:

In-Room Amenities: Luxury mattresses

Luxury ivory satin pinstripe bed linens

Fluffy duvets in place of blankets

Luggage protector on bed at embarkation

Luxury bathrobes

Luxury towels

Pillow menu - option of feather or therapeutic pillows

Massage shower heads

Luxury bathroom amenities (shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, bath gel, plus new lip balm, gel eye mask, bath salts and loofah mitts)

Facial mist (choice of scents)

Complimentary slippers

Fresh flower arrangement

Complimentary corsage and boutonniere on first formal night

Complimentary mini-bar - one-time set up

Combined DVD/CD Players

DVD Library - each vessel has a 100-title DVD library available to suite passengers

Halo light magnifying vanity mirrors on vanity Upgraded room amenities, including ice bucket and tray, leather wallet for cruise card, high quality pen, combined clothes brush, lint remover and shoe horn, shoe cleaning mitt, sewing kit, white cloth laundry bag, black cloth shoe shining bag

Complimentary Princess tote bag

Umbrella for use during the cruise Services:

Expedited embarkation process

Preferred Anytime DiningSM reservations

Personal shore excursion reservations

Complimentary laundry and dry cleaning service

Complimentary shoe polishing service Dining Services:

Welcome glass of champagne at embarkation

Extended room service menu (extended breakfast, lunch, dinner offering)

In-suite afternoon tea service

Passenger's choice of deluxe canap?s, delivered daily Onboard Activities:

Complimentary internet access in onboard Internet Cafes (wireless internet connection not included).

Private portrait sitting

Complimentary use of the thermal suite in the Lotus Spa (Emerald Princess, Caribbean Princess, Crown Princess, Sapphire Princess, Diamond Princess, Star Princess, Coral Princess and Island Princess).

Passengers who travel in mini-suites will also enjoy the luxury of special bed linens, and upgraded amenities.

Mini-Suites -- In Room Amenities

Luxury mattresses

Luxury towels

Glass of champagne at embarkation

Upgraded bathroom amenities (shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion)

Here you go (mini suite perks are at the bottom):

Mini-Suites -- In Room Amenities

Luxury mattresses -

all the mattresses are the same

all the linens were the same in all cabins

all the cabins have duvets

all the cabins have the luggage protector on the bed at embarkation

We always ask for feather pillows no matter what type of room and get it.

Luxury towels

didn't notice any different type of towels in the mini suite we had last month

Glass of champagne at embarkation

YES we not only got a glass but a hole bottle of champagne

Upgraded bathroom amenities (shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion)

All rooms get this, but the mini suite had them in bottles instead of carboard container, however I heard that the entire cabin fleet is going this way soon.

So in the end the only thing different from an inside/outside/balcony to a minisuite (can not speak about suite as have never been in one) is bathtub, bigger bathroom, shampoo etc in plastic containers, two t.v. (but they are right beside each other so could only watch one at a time), bigger room with couch, bottle of champagne, and I think that was it.

I agree, anymore, the mini suite perks (aside from a glass of champagne) have pretty much disappeared. For a while, Princess seemed to be adding perks to minis to give them a slight edge over other lower categories, but again, except for the space of the mini, the perks are pretty non-existent. Most of what was offered is now offered to all category cabins.

My first time on the Grand Princess our mini came with a butler and that that was wonderful! Next they brought out the Golden and there were no more butlers to be had with minis. Since then it seems like the perks have almost vanished. That being said I still always get a mini as I think the size of the cabin is wonderful. You can sit without being on the beds, you can actually move around in the bathroom. (And if you are a female shave your legs in the shower/tub without having to bend like a pretzel.) And there is plenty of room to have another couple or two up for a pre-dinner drink.

A butler with a mini-suite? I don't remember seeing that other than with full suites. I know that there were butlers with full suites that has disappeared but when I had a mini-suite on the Grand years ago, I sure didn't have a butler.

My first time on the Grand Princess our mini came with a butler and that that was wonderful! Next they brought out the Golden and there were no more butlers to be had with minis. Since then it seems like the perks have almost vanished. That being said I still always get a mini as I think the size of the cabin is wonderful. You can sit without being on the beds, you can actually move around in the bathroom. (And if you are a female shave your legs in the shower/tub without having to bend like a pretzel.) And there is plenty of room to have another couple or two up for a pre-dinner drink.

We did the same on the Grand when it first sailed. Mini suites had a butler, replenished bar set up as needed, full in mini suite dining. It was great. Of coarse the prices were much higher when we sailed then, and it was when the Grand was the first ship in the fleet to offer all of these mini suites. It didn't last long though as by the time we sailed the next ship, all those wondeful perks had disappeared.

We did the same on the Grand when it first sailed. Mini suites had a butler, replenished bar set up as needed, full in mini suite dining. It was great. Of coarse the prices were much higher when we sailed then, and it was when the Grand was the first ship in the fleet to offer all of these mini suites. It didn't last long though as by the time we sailed the next ship, all those wondeful perks had disappeared.
I stand corrected. I guess we sailed a little too late for the butler. :(

Yeah, I remember hearing about those perks, and really hearing about it when they went away LOL. The Grand was unique for quite a while and only really had the Carnival Destiny as it's mega-ship competition for well over a year, but once the other big ships started coming along, they had to cut back those extras to offer competitive prices.

I stand corrected. I guess we sailed a little too late for the butler. :(

Pam, it was the first year, or possibly even less, that the Grand Sailed. We went when the ship was only a few months old and enjoyed these extra mini suite perks. Princess was widely adverstising all the perks of the new mni suite luxury ship. They even had a slogan for it, which right now I can't remember. But as said, they sure didn't last long.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. You would think they could at least offer priority embarkation and debarkation. That does not cost them anything, and most of the other lines do no matter what category suite you book. A suite is a suite after all and we did pay extra for it. Will have to add that to the comment card.

The one thing that might also be confusing to someone not used to the perks on Princess associated with only full suites, is that most online agencies list the minis IN the SUITE category. Now admittedly, they are a mini suite, but I am sure that some get very confused when they read about all the great benefits of the suites onboard Princess ships. Only to find that mini suites do not qualitfy for much of anything. And my guess would be some don't find out until they actually get onboard the ship. Not a nice surprise to begin a long awaited cruise to find out the perks you looked forward to getting for booking a higher class cabin are not available to you in a mini suite. :(

Archived