which cruise line to alaska?

iwmi1997

HAL does a fantastic job in Alaska, so does Princess. Especially for one way cruises- they offer 2 glacier sailings, College Fjords and Glacier Bay, fantastic scenery.

As for land tours- be forewarned- do your homework any way to plan it. Especially cruiseline cruisetours, overall they are lacking compared to independent, some definately more than others.

Overall, you are better off going for as long as you can afford. Avoid less than 5 days, way too much time is in transit. Denali park is usually the highlight of cruisetours- unfortunately some are totally worthless- ones that include the Natural History tour. The Tundra Wilderness tour, is ok, but still missing out on a significant portion of Denali Park. There are park service shuttle buses which are superior for distance, and price.

You are way ahead of the game, if you choose the right tour to begin with. This board is loaded with posters who didn't, and then try and "fix" them. Sometimes there's not much you can do. These are costly vacations, so make sure your experience will be what you want.

Take some time and read reports on this board.

The forte of this board is the excellent accurate advice for independent traveling, probably some of the best you can get- for free. :)

We Are Planning A Cruise To Alaska Next Summer And Are Wanting To Do A Land Tour As Well. The Travel Agency Has Suggested Holland Cruise Line. Anyone Have Suggestions On The Cruise Line And The Land Tours?

HAL and Princess do a great job cruising Alaska.

As BQ posted I would consider making your own land arrangements when traveling in Alaska. The cruise tours from the ships to me are way over priced and are limited as to when and where you can go. The folks on this board have a wealth of information and are eager to share. Travel Agencies don't have anywhere the knowledge that you can find on these boards, so I would give some thought to setting up your own land arrangements.

I am already booked on Carnival, I hope it will also be ok. I looked at the itineraries within the timeframe I could go on the different cruises, and I was interested in seeing Glacier Bay, but I also wanted to stop in Sitka. I heard that Sitka is cute and has lots of Russian things and wanted to include that. I asked several people and they said that there's plenty of glaciers. However, I haven't been yet, so can't tell you from my own experience.

I asked several people and they said that there's plenty of glaciers. However' date=' I haven't been yet, so can't tell you from my own experience.[/quote']

Sorry, not on this itinerary. You only get College Fjords. Princess and HAL also get Glacier Bay, which is superb.

I highly recommend, if glaciers are a preference is to plan on a Prince William Sound boat tour, before or after the cruise out of Whittier. Superior to anything seen from your cruise ship and loaded with glaciers.

I asked several people and they said that there's plenty of glaciers. However' date=' I haven't been yet, so can't tell you from my own experience.[/quote']

I would agree with BQ to do a glacier cruise out of Whittier.

I (no longer) book cruises with just one glacier (as yours just has College Fiords). College fiords is great, but if you miss it due to ice, fog, etc..., you may not see any other glaciers on your cruise unless you take a glacier specific excursion (which can be pricey). My first cruise to Alaska, we missed the glacier and while we saw Mendenhall on our own, it can't compare to GB or Hubard Glacier.

Good advice. I'll definitely consider additional touring prior to boarding, and I was already considering additional small boat tours at at least 1 stop. Right now the plan is to stay either inside Denali (with an RV) or B & B close to Denali and fly (weather permitting, of course) from Talkeetna onto the Ruth Glacier (I think that's the name). I hope with several opportunities that the weather will cooperate on at least 1, if not more, of these excursions.

I agree with others that HAL is the way to go for Alaska cruise & cruise tours. HAL has been cruising Alaska longer than other lines, so they have a better foothold in the area as far as lodging and tour contractors are concerned. They also get priority docking in most ports (i.e. if a lot of ships are in port, HAL still doesn't have to tender)

I agree with others that HAL is the way to go for Alaska cruise & cruise tours. HAL has been cruising Alaska longer than other lines, so they have a better foothold in the area as far as lodging and tour contractors are concerned. They also get priority docking in most ports (i.e. if a lot of ships are in port, HAL still doesn't have to tender)

After doing my research on this board and hearing all the experts' past experience, I too decided to go with HAL this July. thanks a lot for your help

Archived