Interesting PBS article on tipping and wages

lisacas1

Interesting article - but im sure there are other motivational reasons, other than it ensures good service, for keeping wages low and keeping the tip policy in place.

1. Lower wages on the cruise ship = More profitable CCL Financial Statments

2. The price of the cruise seems lower to the average consumer because they dont consider the tips at the time they are making the buy decision.

Well I pasted this from the hyperlink above.....

>>> Several passengers voice their frustration that they haven't received prior notification of an optional $10 per day gratuity<<<<

Steve

I will never buy that one... If I am spending that kind of money on a cruise, you better believe I read the terms and conditions of the contract... It's not like they hide it...

I understand the purpose behind tipping to show your satisfaction (motivation=customer satisfaction=higher profits all for lower wages). From the point of view of management this is a win win situation. Get the employees to work harder for less pay and let the consumer pay the difference. What erks me is how Carnival hides this fact from its customers. Yes, they do tell you if you read deep enough into their literature that this is extra and that is not included and oh yeah tipping is expected... but the advertisements are VERY much "hey take this all inclusive vacation... compare the cost of this hotel and add food and entertainment and yada yada and see how much cheaper cruising is... but I think after adding tips, excursions, spa, gambling, drinks, more tips and deposits I'm not sure I see the savings and whats worse I lose the ability to customize my vacation the way I want (eating pizza in the hotel room one night in order to make up for spending more somewhere else).

Why can't Carnival just be up front and say "Here is the cost of your cruise with EVERYTHING included (taxes, tips, full use of all ship facilities)...Why? because it would hurt their business....not that your not paying that amount anyway but it sure looks better in print as $500 instead of $750....

If any one of us were to do the work and give the service we receive on the ships, we too would hope for a generous tip from each passanger. Many of the crew members send this money home to their families. We are very fortunate that we are able to afford a cruise. I do appreciate all of the hard work and tip each one in addition to the automatic tips on the S&S card.

It's not just a Carnival thing...

My last cruise was $399 for a 4 day, per person. With tips it was $439. For 2 it was $878. If I went on a 4 day resort vacation, it would have cost far more...

Hotel (if I am lucky I find one for $129 a night)

Meals (we'll say 3 per day, breakfast at hotel, inexpensive lunch and a decent dinner for two $80-$100 per day)

Entertainment (we'll take in just one show, rather than something each night $100)

That is over $1000, and does not take into account any entertainment other than one night, no extra meals or late night pizza, the ability to eat until your head pops off, comedy shows, or any of the other amenities offered. On a land vacation, we still have to pay for excursions, and anything else we might do... it's still a great value, even with tipping.

I guess I am just strange... I read through the entire brochure when I got it, when I wondered what the deposit was, I read it on the back page, in normal print... and there were all the terms including the tips...

NCL is now charging for tips along with your cruise. These tips are non refundable - like the are now on Carnival. If you dont want your tips on your sign and sail card you go to the pursers desk and have them removed.

I think 10 bucks a day per person is very cheap for the pampering we get while onboard...but then on the other hand I hear stories where people dont get that kind of service. They should tell someone instead of suffering in silence.

I say we blame ourselves. There seems to be so much blame going around... bottom line, it is your vacation. If you trust your TA to everything, IMHO that is foolish. That would be like buying a car and just trusting the dealer to TELL you everything in the contract rather than reading it yourself. We have got to start taking responsibility for our own actions... Too many people placing blame for things that are so simply stated. Why would anyone spend thousands on something and not read the contract terms? So do you blame Carnival or a TA if you cancel and get don't get all your money back? Because you did not read the terms? Most people read the part about what to dress, when they can board, passport info, deposit info, but all of the sudden they miss the one big section that says "TIPPING"... it's not hidden, it is right between the "LIQUOR POLICY" and "CLOTHING". I guess we are living in a society that wants to blame everyone else rather than take responsibility for themselves... Everyone has been new to something, but it is each persons responsibility to do the research (or in this case, flip to the back of the book)...

It's not asking too much for a TA to ask, "Have you been on a cruise before"?

When the customer says no, the TA should give them some expectations. Afterall, a TA is a agent for the cruise industry.

Would be simple to tell them the $10 per person per day tipping policy, and to expect extra $$$$s to be added for port charges. And to let them know that drinks average $5, and that there are excursions you can go on for an extra $50-100$ per person more.

There is no reason for someone to be surprised at the dock. A lot of folks don't research the snott out of a vacation before taking one. Some just decide, book, wait, and then go.

Unfortunately, many first-time cruisers go aboard the ship expecting it to be an all-inclusive vacation. Either they haven't been informed by their TA, PVP, etc. or they haven't read their docs or both. And the largest percentage of cruisers, first time or otherwise, do not read message boards like this. We've seen it first hand here that the extra costs can be overwhelming to some.

The advantage we have here is that we quickly learn from each other about the various aspects of cruising. Tipping, shore excursions, spa treatments, formal nights etc. etc. ad nauseum are extras and we plan for them. I didn't understand about a lot of these things on my first cruise, but enough of them because I DID read my docs.

Thanks for the article. It showed just how hard Carnival's employees work and how little they get paid, thus why our tips mean so much to them.

When going into a TA's office, what is the first thing you want? A brochure generally. Most will give you one before you leave, if not, why not ask? Everyone wants to see the great pictures and get excited about cruising. Are travel agents now supposed to hold our hands and tell us every detail? No. Their commissions are being dwindled away as it is because of strict competition... it is still the ultimate responsibility of the consumer to KNOW what they are purchasing and what the terms are of that purchase. We are not 2nd graders... it is important to make an informed decision, and part of being informed is reading about the cruise... it's not like they hide it in tiny little print... it is in the section "WHAT TO KNOW BEFORE YOU CRUISE"... can't spell it out any clearer than that.

It seems some people are being pretty cheap about the cruise gratiuities and the suggested amount. Gratuities and tips are part of the expense of many personal services such as eating out, valet parking, taxi rides, haircuts, bar drinks, etc. Why should cruises be different?

Most services are tipped at about 15% of the cost. For a 7 day cruise you might pay $1200/person and Carnival suggests $10/day for steward and waiters. That is less than 6%! And Carnival offers you the option of reducing that if you are not happy with the service. I can't see why anyone should complain.

When booking any vacation, including cruises, ALL the expenses must be taken into account. There are taxes, airport fees, security surcharges, port fees, ground transportation, snacks, meals, beverages, admission tickets, phone calls and so forth. In addition most people buy clothes, film, luggage and personal items to use on vacation. Tipping is also part of the expenses of traveling.

Jim

I want you to figure it out, Carnival pays room attendant 1.50 a day for 19 rooms thats 10,50 for week. in 19 cabins there is average of 45 people ok, some cabins have 3 or 4, so 45 ties 3.0 perperson day times 7 days=1,005.00,not a bad weeks pay for person who if was working in his country would make 20.00 week,that is minimum too,most people tip more, plus when they b ring in luggage they get few dollars, the best part it probably is cASH MONEY TOO. NOT TOO BAD,i FEEL THEY WORK FOR IT IF THEY DO A GOOD JOB,IT'S MY VACATION I WANT SERVICE,AND I'LL PAY.iF WE DON'T GET GREAT SERVICE WHY IS IT MANDATORY. iT IS SO HARD TO REMOVE FROM YOUR CHARGE, THEY MAKE YOU FEEL CHEAP,YET THEY ARE THE CHEAP BASTA-DS.OH WELL JUST A LITTLE FACT

.hEY WATCH HOW LONG IT TAKES THEM TO DO YOUR ROOM IN A.M IT PROBABLY TAKES 15 MINUTES, MAYBE 20. THE ROOMS ARE EASY TO TAKE CARE OF LARRY

but all of the sudden they miss the one big section that says "TIPPING"... it's not hidden, it is right between the "LIQUOR POLICY" and "CLOTHING". .

You have a great point above in your reply, If Carnival has taken it upon themselves to be the "Tip" police and put it on the sail and sign.When are they going to enforce their Clothing policy? Or the Liquor policy as well?

When it came to the Paradise and no smoking they certianly enforced that?Off the ship!!!

Would it be proper to call the Matre"d over and ask him to enforce the clothing policy in the dining room?

Steve

It is all about numbers, money, as long as you have money you can do what you want. I went on ncl this summer and they wouldn't let people in dining room with jeans, yet they are a casual resort dining, no suits or ties mandatory.yet no jeans or collarless shirts. larry

Archived