Pre cruise Bora Bora, Moorea, or Papeete??

gangof 5

We are about to book the Aug 27th 2008 cruise. We need opinions on pre cruise packages. Are Bora Bora or Moorea worth getting on another plane? or is Papette nice enough. We will be doing an over the water bungalo on either place.

I stayed at the Meridian in Tahiti (just outside of Papeete) for a week before getting on Mariner several years ago which has overwater bungalows, then went to the other islands via the ship which was fine for me. There is more to do in Tahiti, but if you want a more secluded vacation Bora Bora is the place to be. Also the best SCUBA is there. Moorea is a 15 minute ferry ride from downtown Papeete (which I did during the week). You can rent scooters there to get around. Personally after the long flight to Tahiti, I'd rather go straight to a hotel rather than getting on another plane.

Personally we were very happy with an OWB at the Intercontinental in Papeete, but I can certainly see someone willing to overnight one night in Papette and then going to Moorea for a few nights in a OWB. My impression of Bora Bora is that it is the least best option of the 3. It still is very nice.

We spent the night in Papeete, then took the ferry to Moorea the next morning. We then spent the next four days on Moorea at the Sofitel. On Moorea, the Sofitel had the best overwater bungalows. The lagoon area where the bungalows are located also had the best snorkeling we had on our entire trip. The ferry trip is cheap, Moorea is beautiful, and the Sofitel was great. We were very happy we went there prior to our cruise on the PG.

Moorea is the best compromise. Most pre-cruise packages put you in Papeete the day you arrive, but if you arrive in the morning you could go straight to Moorea by plane.

Bora Bora, although visually stunning, is strangely more touristy than Moorea, and pricier for sure. I found BB the one place where people sometimes had a bit of an attitude about tourists. Moorea is also physically stunning, but closer and cheaper. Can't comment on any particular hotels, I have not spent a pre-cruise there yet (but hope to next year.)

Ironically, we also had the best snorkeling right under our OWB at the Intercontinental in Papeete as well.

Thinking about it, if you want chill out with hotel facilities (Lagoonarium, a really cool sand beach that runs into an infinity pool with a sand bottom and swim-up bar, etc., and great views (with enough for kids to do) the Intercontinental in Papeete is great.

HOWEVER, if you want to explore a beautiful island and explore some real beauty, Moorea is probably better...though cruise dependent you may well wind up doing it on the cruise portion of your holiday.

In my opinion, Papeete was not what I am looking for in FP. I am looking for quiet relaxation away from the hubub. No opinion on the Moorea alternatives but we really enjoyed our two stays at Le Meridien on Bora Bora. Also Pearl Beach on Tikehau. February we do the Ta'haa private island, only because I always wanted to and it was a precruise option with Regent. If it isn't great, next time we will make a deviation to go back to Tikehau. Don't know how to do it but I sure will try.

125 days

I've been on two PG cruises and both times realized if I was going back to FP, I would definitely stay at the Sofitel in Moorea. Now that I've seen Papeete, toured with some of the locals and had my fill, I would soak up as much relaxation as I could possibly get in an owb away from everything!

Bora Bora, Bloody Mary's notwithstanding, was not the away from it all place that I had been led to believe. Moorea, easy to get to, able to bike around the island. . . just better for my next time.

Mike

PG 2001, 2004

February we do the Ta'haa private island, only because I always wanted to and it was a precruise option with Regent. If it isn't great, next time we will make a deviation to go back to Tikehau.

125 days

It IS great. And, the food, although expensive, was wonderful. :)

How many of you have booked your pre- or post-cruise packages with Regent? We have done this twice, once in the early days, an amazing 4-night package to Manihi, and in 2005, a simple two-night package at the Radisson.

I have always felt that booking one of their packages is the most expedient thing to do, and good value. But, they have limited their packages to Moorea, Tahiti, with one "a la carte" offering on Bora Bora. All Interconti hotels except for the Radisson in Papeete. (So the Moorea Sofitel is not an option, for example.)

I think they trimmed the options several years ago. Before that you could do Manihi, Taha'a, Huahine or the Marquesas, as well as several BB and Moorea options.

It just seems a lot of trouble organizing one of these, including booking flights, transfers, etc. Any thoughts on this subject? Would you be happier if RSSC offered a wider selection of options? Would it be worth rolling my own next year?

FYI the food at most of the hotels is OK at best; with very little imagination...unless you spend a small fortune. Good food is a good thing!

I agree. I was very disappointed in most of the food in the hotels EXCEPT the Taha'a Resort and Spa.

We stayed for 4 days in an OWB at the Intercontinetal in Papeete. It was a wonderful four days. We had breakfast by canoe, there was enough to occupy us and we ate twice at Le Lotus (no not cheap!) which was devine. We stayed mostly at the hotel, but ventured out to explore Le Marche and the downtown by taking Le Truck. We enjoyed that day seeing the town - not much to speak of but it was a great 4 days.

Wendy, It was very easy to arrange.

Just returned last Thursday from the FP/PG trip. We stayed 3 days before and 2 days after the cruise at the Radisson Resort. It was part of the package from Vantage. Food was very expensive $75.00 for 2 cheeseburgers, 2 beers and 2 wines. The food (chicken and pork) we had one nite was not even cooked and a few of us got sick. The breakfast buffet (included) was just OK but don't be in a hurry for coffee. We had 4 drinks upon arriving the first nite - $65.00. We found a good solution to the high cost, about a 5 minute walk from the hotel is a small supermarket. We picked up items for picnics to have on our deck. It was a very safe walk and saved us a small fortune. Other than that the hotel, pool and black sand beach were beautiful. Of the islands you mentioned, Moorea was by far the most beautiful, least crowded. Papeete, very crowded and homeless people sleeping on benches, etc. in the square. Kids (young about 16) were drinking on the beaches. There is no work for them. The islands are very close together so traveling from one to the other is not a long trip.

If you are going to be on an island on a Sunday, be prepared for a tour or renting a car, etc. Everything was closed. We just spent the day on the ship and relaxing after walked around town for a little while.

Have a great vacation.

We have booked pre-cruise hotel at the Rad with Regent for our April 2008 trip. Since we have never been to FP I was nervous trying to take care of all these details on my own. Good to hear that they have a market 5 mins away to grab some snacks. I hope the winter flys by fast here in Ontario so I can get on the PG!

It's a very small market but we were just picking up wine, cheese, bread, sardines, water (1.00 at the market as opposed to 5.00 at the hotel). If you want more, you can hop on the bus just outside the Radisson it's about 1 - 1 1/2 miles away. The rooms have a very small frig in them. The bus is 200 cpf one way. The Radisson has a shuttle but only runs 3xs a day. I think the bus stops running about 5 pm. The little market, go right outside the Rad and walk to the next circle (rottery or roundabout - whatever you call it), it's right there.

Just returned last Thursday from the FP/PG trip. We stayed 3 days before and 2 days after the cruise at the Radisson Resort. We found a good solution to the high cost, about a 5 minute walk from the hotel is a small supermarket. We picked up items for picnics to have on our deck.

I'm guessing--the supermarket is off to the left as you leave the hotel, right? We walked right, and it was a much longer walk--we had just about given up, but managed to find water and beer. Unless they've built a new one since we were there (2005.)

We had two nights in Pearl Resort Moorea, although original preference was for Sofitel. Sofitel was still in renovation mode so we opted for Pearl in a garden bungalow with pool. Have to say it was pretty special.

Did not miss the over water bungalow experience as it was very hot and the garden option with the very private garden with plunge pool was wonderful and I suspect a bit cooler. The food was Ok, breakfasts included for us but not inspiring. Avoided the other meals, hired a car and there wasn't much of Moorea we missed. The less populated side of the island (West I think) was very interesting. Have to say that when the PG spent a day in Moorea at end of cruise we did not venture forth again however, as there seemed little point. Still it was a nice relaxing day on board!

We would avoid the flight, it was as scary as hell, specially at night. They crashed a few months ago and I have heard they were suspended flying but that may not be up to date or even totally accurate. Ferry service is good but not available after dark.

Nevian

Archived