simple first aid on cruise?

Jacky4

I've read about high medical bills from seeing the cruise doctor but what about basic first aid. If someone falls and needs a cut cleaned and a band aid are they going to charge you hundreds of dollars? Also is it true that unless I purchase cruise insurance my own personal medical insurance won't cover these charges?

1st, bring your own bandaids--they take up no space and will save you a trip to the infirmary! Also bring asprin, ointments, etc.....whatever you may need for small maladies and injuries!

Check with your own health insurance--many policies will cover you even on a cruise, but you need to know in advance!

Some travel insurance policies will cover medical, but some don't--know before you buy!

Most travel insurance payments are secondary -- one has to put in a claim with the one's health insurance first. Our experience is that charges on cruise treatment is about the same as the "negotiated" land based charges -- not like what the land based doctor bills but more like what the land based doctor gets actually paid from the HMO. For small amounts, say $100, it is often simpler to just pay (charges appear on your ship board account) and forget about it. But we do carry a supply of band aids, duct tape, neosporin, aspirin, tylenol, and sore throat stuff, etc. /Sultan

You can also find antibiotic type bandaides. And alcohol wipes take less room in your luggage than bringing a bottle on-board. If you are planning on a trip to your family doctor before you leave ask the nurse if she is willing to part with a few. If you tell her you are going on a cruise I am sure she would not mind letting you have some for your pocket. They are individually wrapped and easy to slip in a pocket when going on shore. Your own first-aid kit will cost much less than a visit to the ship doctor. But think positive - you won't need a doctor because you are going to step lightly and watch where you are going.

Now if we are talking about children here - well that's a different story :D

For basic first aid, you're going to be billed for an office visit, which ranges from $40 to $60 depending on the cruise line. And then you'll be billed for anything used such as wraps, bandaids or antiseptic.

Only you will know if your private insurance will cover your visits to a ship's clinic. Some do and some don't. And Medicare doesn't pay a dime outside the US.

We always take a small first aid kit. It has advil, bandaids, benadryl, triple antibiotic cream, immodium, cold remedies and alcohol wipes. It is really small, I got it at Walgreens, maybe $5. I would hate to have to go to the infirmary to get some of that stuff.

Have a great trip!!!

For basic first aid, you're going to be billed for an office visit, which ranges from $40 to $60 depending on the cruise line. And then you'll be billed for anything used such as wraps, bandaids or antiseptic.

Only you will know if your private insurance will cover your visits to a ship's clinic. Some do and some don't. And Medicare doesn't pay a dime outside the US.

Now if you take a fall and the ship is responsible, like a lady did on our Princess cruise in '05, there's no bill and she recieved free aluminum crutches and all the Dr. attention she needed. Oh yes, and she was allowed to sign a waiver saying she won't sue:D This happened @ day 2 or 3 on a 7 day cruise. Someone moved the wet floor sign and she wiped out and dislocated her, either big or baby toe. Hubby who was right there saw that the toe was not supposed to be at a right angle to the foot, grabbed it and relocated right there, and then went to the Dr. We got their story at the airport and she was in a wheel chair.

Archived