Moorea & Bora Bora

Kane

First, the ship we will be on does not offer any scuba excursions. I surfed the net and found Top Dive in Moorea & Bora Bora. Would appreciate any coments from those who may have used them in the past.

Secondly, although she is certified, my wife doesn't want to scuba on this voyage. The ship excursions are pretty light on snorkeling options. Further, the WWW doen't seem to have firms advertizing snorkeling operators. Are there operators "on the dock" where we could join a snorkeling charter?

TIA

I used Top Dive in Bora Bora and really liked them. I will use them again in 2009 when we return.

When in Moorea I did a last minute dive and took a ship's excursion that used Bathy's, something I will never do again.

However, I think that Top Dive now also operates out of Moorea, which is a good thing.

Save yourself some grief and book with Top Dive,

As far as snorkeling, I'm not up on that. What snorkeling we did in Tahiti was on private excursions and none were in Bora Bora or Moorea. However, we did have friends who went to the beach off the Sheraton Hotel on Moorea and they said the snorkeling there was better than any they had done on any of the other islands.

10X, thanks for the tips.

The Top Dive web site does indicate that they are in Moorea, Bora Bora, and Tahiti also, if I recall.

They responded quickly to e-mail, and I think it will take a few more before things can be arranged. There are numerous dive sites that they list, but no schedule from which to pick-and-choose.

again, thanks.

Kane,

Top Dive will select the site to dive based on the weather conditions.

On Bora Bora we were originally scheduled to do a Manta Ray dive but the weather turned somewhat sour with some mild rain. The waves were such that the reports they received were that the Manta Rays did not come into the shallower water to feed.

As a result, they took us on a shark dive, which was spectacular. We had 20-30 sharks swimming around us, including some nice 10' Lemon Sharks. To top it all off, a 6' Napoleon Wrasse also made an appearance.

They had a professional videographer onboard and he made a movie of our dive. It was expensive to buy, $100, but my fiend and I split the cost, and with the amazing thing you can do with computers nowdays...........

You can find some pictures of our Bora Bora dive at; http://www.sunfield.smugmug.com

Select "Tahiti 2005"

Select "Bora Bora"

Denny

On Moorea we did a couple dives with BATHY's dive club. We couldn't have been more thrilled with our dive. Sharks sharks and more sharks. Guillom (i think that's how you spell it) was an absolute wild man!! He absolutely did whatever he could to ensure we had a great dive.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I recently cruised through Tahiti and stopped in Bora Bora and Moorea. If you're wife isn't into diving, but isn't afraid to snorkel, you definitely need to take her to Lagoonarium in Moorea. We organized a private tour of about 12 of us and it was amazing. You may need to organize a private shuttle (we used Albert tours - http://www.albert-transport.net/p1_gb.asp) or cab ahead of time to take you there from the ship. Once you get there, the price is about $29USD/person and they take you on an outrigger canoe to a private motu (island). On the other side of the island is a beautiful lagoon with every shark, stingray and Tahitian fish. They guarantee it, because they have a large net around the lagoon. You can also get outside the netted area and snorkel over some of the most beautiful coral gardens you'll ever see. Hope you get a chance to do it. We had friends who had snorkeled and dived in the Red Sea and other places and they said they had never seen anything so beautiful in all their lives.

Here's the outrigger canoe taking us to the island:IMGP0330.JPG

Here's a pic of one of the many stingrays: IMGP0337.JPG

Here's one of the many sharks: IMGP0346.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

you will be able to find some good snorkeling excursions on both islands. on BB, there should be several choices set up outside of the building directly in front of where the tenders drop you off. there should be several on Moorea as well. I would recommend not doing the one with Albert tours, unless you like overcrowded boats.

I have done over 50 dives with TOP DiVE. They are excellent.

Just wish the price was cheaper. If you do 10 dives you get the 11th free.

We are headed back to French Polynesia in April for our 7th time.

Hey there R & D! Was wondering if you were still going back in April....wish we didn't have to wait until August...but, it will be worth it.

And I agree on the Top Dive organization...1st class. If you decide to dive Raiatea, Hemisphere Sub was a nice dive shop also.

Mike

http://gallery.mac.com/csealove#gallery

Archived