Yet Another Tipping Question (sorry!)

Okay, I'm a big believer in tipping, so I want to make sure I do this right! I'm going on a cruise with my Dad in January. I'm usually all about gussying up and doing the dining room and formal nights and all that fun stuff. BUT, Dad has requested this be a "retired" cruise for him. He doesn't want to (and I quote) "change outta the bermuda shorts and old man socks" to eat. I hope he's kidding about the socks.:eek:

At any rate, if we eat every single meal in the Windjammer (sigh :(), how do we tip? Usually, we prepay the gratuities and add some extras where deserved, but if you don't always have the same waitstaff, how do you do it? Should we tip in cash every night, or should we just prepay and let the gratuities go to the waitstaff that will be a couple of people short at their tables?

Also, if we decide to go this route, I think we should let the Headwaiter know we won't be showing as soon as possible. Like, get on the ship, grab some lunch and go tell them. Does that sound logical?

Thanks!

Okay, I'm a big believer in tipping, so I want to make sure I do this right! I'm going on a cruise with my Dad in January. I'm usually all about gussying up and doing the dining room and formal nights and all that fun stuff. BUT, Dad has requested this be a "retired" cruise for him. He doesn't want to (and I quote) "change outta the bermuda shorts and old man socks" to eat. I hope he's kidding about the socks.:eek:

At any rate, if we eat every single meal in the Windjammer (sigh :(), how do we tip? Usually, we prepay the gratuities and add some extras where deserved, but if you don't always have the same waitstaff, how do you do it? Should we tip in cash every night, or should we just prepay and let the gratuities go to the waitstaff that will be a couple of people short at their tables?

Also, if we decide to go this route, I think we should let the Headwaiter know we won't be showing as soon as possible. Like, get on the ship, grab some lunch and go tell them. Does that sound logical?

Thanks!

The bermuda shorts and the old man socks comment just cracked me up:D

Ok, now to be serious, you should definitely let the headwaiter know so if others are waiting to switch either tables or seatings then it helps them. I am not sure what to tell you for the tipping. If it were me I would still tip the regular table staff by prepaying the gratuities because they all work at the Windjammer and other venues so even if you don't see them for dinner you will see them somewhere during the day. I think you will get various opinions on this.

The bermuda shorts and the old man socks comment just cracked me up:D

Ok, now to be serious, you should definitely let the headwaiter know so if others are waiting to switch either tables or seatings then it helps them. I am not sure what to tell you for the tipping. If it were me I would still tip the regular table staff by prepaying the gratuities because they all work at the Windjammer and other venues so even if you don't see them for dinner you will see them somewhere during the day. I think you will get various opinions on this.

If you'd seen him in his brown socks hiked up to his knees, you would not be laughing. Okay, yeah, you would! :D

I hadn't even thought about it helping the staff on moving tables, etc. I was just thinking about making sure they didn't wait on us. Glad you thought of that. It reinforces my decision. I will tell them ASAP. Thanks!

I have a tip related question as well. On my last cruise I tipped everyone of course. My question is with the WJ crew. I noticed they always had their name cards on the tables. Are we supposed to tip them too? and if so how? They aren't on the list of people in the prepaid list.

I have a tip related question as well. On my last cruise I tipped everyone of course. My question is with the WJ crew. I noticed they always had their name cards on the tables. Are we supposed to tip them too? and if so how? They aren't on the list of people in the prepaid list.

You don't have to, and they don't expect it, but if you do, they will be awestruck and passionately grateful. :)

So the WJ crew isn't paid just on tips like the dining hall crew? on the last day of my last crew I thought I heard they were. Do we hand them cash at the table?

The WJ crew *is* the dining hall crew. They do double-duty. My understanding, from talking to our waiter about this, is that they rely mostly on the traditional tips from the dining room, but that if they do something extra for you (beond bringing coffee and clearing ta bles), that a tip would be "appreciated".

This is a very interesting questions, and to be honest, I do not know the correct answer, but would be very curious as to the answer.

My suggestions is to ask the Headwaiter his opinion when you see them upon boarding to cancel your seats in the dining room. I am sure he/she would be very happy to provide guideance that is fair to all the wait staff.

I am sure that some more experienced cruisers will provide some additonal details. That is the beauty of CC.

Happy Cruisings and good luck with the socks.

Dave

OK thanks. I thought I heard they were different. How do they pull double duty during dinner time?

All the crew works so hard. I can't imagine doing all they do day in and day out 7 days a weeks or months with little time off and still be so friendly.

The WJ crew *is* the dining hall crew. They do double-duty. My understanding, from talking to our waiter about this, is that they rely mostly on the traditional tips from the dining room, but that if they do something extra for you (beond bringing coffee and clearing ta bles), that a tip would be "appreciated".

Please don't take this as a dispute, I am just trying to understand better for myself.

So here is my ???

If every table in the dining room has the same wait staff every night for the entire cruise, how can they then also work "double duty" in the Windjammer at the same dinner time is being served there. There have to be some WJ staff that do not work in the dining room or there would be no staff in the WJ. So, how do these staff members earn tips.

I understand that the DR staff work the WJ for breakfast and lunch, but how do they accomplish that for dinner.

This has always puzzled me when someone states that they do double duty. Again, not trying to dispute your answer, just am puzzled. I am sure there is something I am missing, just can't put the whole picture together.

PS I always leave cash on the table in the WJ when I eat a complete meal there and receive service that is special.

Thanks

Dave

1. Tell the headwaiter/maitre d' that you will not be eating in the dining room. The cruisers assigned to your table do not want to sit with empty chairs.

2. Prepay your tips or put them on you seapass.

3. Let the cruise line do the rest. Do not give out the waiter/assistant waiter/headwaiter vouchers. Do not give it any more thought. You have done exactly what RCI recommends.

1. Tell the headwaiter/maitre d' that you will not be eating in the dining room. The cruisers assigned to your table do not want to sit with empty chairs.

3. Let the cruise line do the rest. Do not give out the waiter/assistant waiter/headwaiter vouchers. Do not give it any more thought. You have done exactly what RCI recommends.

Exactly!!! :) This is, IMHO, the best post I've seen for those who don't use the dining room frequently, if at all, but are confused about tipping the wait staff. The tips are for the sailing, not where you happen to dine.

Thanks!

Oh my gosh, I know you! Well, sort of. I could never forget your screen name. We met on a M&M thread. DH and I missed the M&M but we/I met you and DH at the elevator. I just remember that the M&M thread was fun - thanks to your posts among other things. :) I think maybe you and DH were traveling with your parents that cruise (or maybe I am dreaming......)

Regarding "double duty"- I asked our waiter about this on a previous cruise- they said that they "rotate" through the WJ for dinner duty a week at a time. So when it is their week in WJ, they go that week without tips, unless they get something in the WJ. That is why it is recommended you tip in the dining room, even if you don't eat there- the tips they earn in the DR cover them the week that they do WJ duty. It is not a perfect system at all, but we have always just prepaid tips for DR, and don't usually tip in WJ, unless we see something that warrants it. (such as when my kids leave a mess at the table or on the floor!).

So the WJ crew isn't paid just on tips like the dining hall crew? on the last day of my last crew I thought I heard they were. Do we hand them cash at the table?

I talked to a WJ waiter and was told that they are all rotated to the WJ for one week. That means no tip for one week, unless the customer at WJ would give them.

On the first cruise I was sailed, later in the cruise, I noticed that our assistant waiter was working in the Windjammer one afternoon during lunch. I said hello to her and we talked briefly. Being new to cruising, I mentioned how I thought it was interesting how various people had multiple jobs on the ship. The bass player in the band was also helping the Loyalty Ambassador.

The entire dining room staff was awesome on this cruise, so I was surprised at what I heard next.

"Not a lot of people are going to the dining room. So they shifted some dining room staff to fill in at the buffet."

On the last full day of the cruise, I saw her working during the breakfast shift as well.

---

Not that this is a 100% assurance to happen on every cruise, but they may rotate staff around a lot more than people here think.

Oh my gosh, I know you! Well, sort of. I could never forget your screen name. We met on a M&M thread. DH and I missed the M&M but we/I met you and DH at the elevator. I just remember that the M&M thread was fun - thanks to your posts among other things. :) I think maybe you and DH were traveling with your parents that cruise (or maybe I am dreaming......)

I totally remember that! My husband was like "How on earth do people on the ship know your name?" I think that's as close as I'll ever get to my 15 minutes of fame! Wasn't that a GREAT trip? It was Explorer in January 2003. This is my first cruise since then! I'm cruise-starved!!!

That sounds like a good plan, but I think I'll also ask the headwaiter what to do on the tips, just in case (I think someone else suggested that). I am super-glad I posted this, as I figured it was something everyone knew and almost didn't post and ask!

Thanks so much for all the help and advice. Now, can anyone come up with a believable excuse to explain the sudden disappearance of all Dad's socks once we are on board?! :eek: :D

I totally remember that! My husband was like "How on earth do people on the ship know your name?" I think that's as close as I'll ever get to my 15 minutes of fame! Wasn't that a GREAT trip? It was Explorer in January 2003. This is my first cruise since then! I'm cruise-starved!!!.......

That would have been it. And now I remember why we missed the actual M&M gathering that trip. It was DD's senior year vacation and we had her BFF with us - and the gathering turned out to be at an inconvient time for us. But we knew you were traveling with your parents and you had described you and DH on the thread. So when I saw the 4 of you at the elevator it was like - that has to be her!

Hope this is another great cruise for you! :)

Thanks!

We just cruised on the Radiance and the waiters were confused when one of the couples at the table (we asked for a table seating four couples) never appeared. I know one night when my wife and I chose not to come to dinner because we were observing a holiday, I went down and told our waiter, and he appreciated what I did.

As far as tipping, toward the end of the cruise, you will see a place to give tips for the Windjammer. Of course, you will tip your Cabin Attendant and anyone special in the Windjammer. I would think you give a little something to your waiters in the dining room even if you are not there. They might appreciate a few extra dollars.;)

So when it is their week in WJ, they go that week without tips, unless they get something in the WJ. That is why it is recommended you tip in the dining room, even if you don't eat there- the tips they earn in the DR cover them the week that they do WJ duty.

Good question from the OP. We always eat in the dining room so this issue has never come up but it's good to know in case it ever does. So what you're saying is that the waiter that we have in the dining room on a particular cruise gets rotated back to the WJ every other week?.

Jimmers:)

Please don't take this as a dispute, I am just trying to understand better for myself.

So here is my ???

If every table in the dining room has the same wait staff every night for the entire cruise, how can they then also work "double duty" in the Windjammer at the same dinner time is being served there. There have to be some WJ staff that do not work in the dining room or there would be no staff in the WJ. So, how do these staff members earn tips.

I understand that the DR staff work the WJ for breakfast and lunch, but how do they accomplish that for dinner.

This has always puzzled me when someone states that they do double duty. Again, not trying to dispute your answer, just am puzzled. I am sure there is something I am missing, just can't put the whole picture together.

PS I always leave cash on the table in the WJ when I eat a complete meal there and receive service that is special.

Thanks

Dave

Yes, you are correct and I should have been more clear – the dining staff works WJ for breakfast and some for lunch, but of course not for dinner. In fact, even the Chops and Portofino staff works WJ for lunch and breakfast. There are dedicated staff members for WJ at dinner, but they don’t need as many of them as the bulk of the passengers eat dinner in the dining room. I guess the question would be, then, do these crew members dedicated to WJ get paid differently than the dining staff? Should we tip more at dinner? I must admit, it’s all very confusing! I think my next cruise will be an all-inclusive – it would make things much simpler!

I'm curious to know why so many people try to figure out the staff schedules and who gets what tip and how much they earn and all this nonesense. IT"S NONE OF OUR BUSINESS. If we do our part and tip the suggested amount what difference does it make?

Here is a solution that appently works at least on RCCL. Go to the Mait'd during the first day and tell him you will not eat in Dining Room at all and give your table up. Then go to the Front Desk/Purser's Desk and tell them that the tips for the Waiter/Asst wiater and Headwaiter go to the Windjamer personnel for the entire week as you will be eating dinner there most of the week. Tell them you gave your table up. Then at the end of cruise if you sit in the same area most of the time you will have the same night time waiters. You can tip them extra but they will get some of the money from the tips that you paid for all ready through your pre-paid tips. this is what friends did and it worked for them.

Here is a solution that appently works at least on RCCL. Go to the Mait'd during the first day and tell him you will not eat in Dining Room at all and give your table up. Then go to the Front Desk/Purser's Desk and tell them that the tips for the Waiter/Asst wiater and Headwaiter go to the Windjamer personnel for the entire week as you will be eating dinner there most of the week. Tell them you gave your table up. Then at the end of cruise if you sit in the same area most of the time you will have the same night time waiters. You can tip them extra but they will get some of the money from the tips that you paid for all ready through your pre-paid tips. this is what friends did and it worked for them.

Do you think a buffet warents the same tipping as as the full service dining room?

Archived