Which pre-cruise hotels would you recommend for New York?

merela

I will be staying in NY for 2 nights pre cruise. I am booked at the Marriot Marquise Times Square. I asked my TA to book this based on the Trip Advisor reviews. Hope I have made a good choice.

Sue

I've stayed at the Marriott Marquis numerous times for business - over 20 years now - and have always had a good stay there. The rooms are comfortable and the hotel is well maintained. If noise bothers you, you may want to request a room on a higher floor since the lobby is on the 8th floor and noise from the lobby can be heard in rooms on the lower floors (rooms begin on the 10th floor). The restaurants in the hotel can be a bit pricey (and there are better ways to enjoy dining in NYC), but I'd recommend having a drink at The View Lounge at the top of the hotel just to enjoy the NYC skyline. Hope you enjoy your visit!

Many thanks Kathy for the information. All I seem to read about the Hotel is good with the exception of some who say it is too large and impersonal. I am happy with this and just wanted somewhere comfortable and in a central and safe area. I am greatly reassured by all that is said about the safety aspect in NY.

I still haven't told my Daughter I have this cruise booked. She thinks that I go away too often and also worries about where I travel to. My Son on the other hand encourages me and is telling me to think about cruising in Asia.

I will call the Hotel and request a room on a high floor in view of what you have said. I have been given a web site from someone who is on Cruise Critic Roll Call and it is very informative so will be doing some research on it. Just so that I get the best from the time I am there. I did a day tour when I did the BTB on QM2 in July this year. It was a tour organised by Cunard but it took a long time to reach NY from the Brooklyn Port in the morning and I would have been scared to go off in a taxi on my own in case I missed the Ship.

Again many thanks

Sue

Kathy I will only have 48 hours in New York how much can I see in that time and also given that I want to ahop?

Sue

What are your interests, Sue? Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Grand Central Station and the Empire State Building are within walking distance of the Marriott. You're also right in the heart of both Broadway and Off-Broadway shows if you'd like to go to a show. The Museum of Natural History and the Metropolitan Museum of Art are a bit farther afield, but well worth a visit.

If you'd like a bus tour, there are several tours that leave right from Times Square. Some offer hop-on, hop-off tours.

The Statue of Liberty is a great tour, but it takes time since you have to go downtown and take the ferry over to Liberty Island. You need a timed ticket to go inside the statue's pedestal.

One of my favorite websites for NYC is the city's tourism website: http://www.nycvisit.com. They have links for tours, dining and shopping.

Kathy thank you again for the information. I have been looking at a NYC web site and have read about the Rockafella and definately want to do this and St Patricks Cathedral. I most definately will do the bus tour as I can see quite a lot in a short time. I read reviews yesterday about Times Square some good and some very bad. Mainly due to the sheer numbers of people there day and night. Also talking about the shops and restaurants being much more expensive.

I see that I can buy a ticket for a show just right outside the Marriott Marquis as the normal booth is not open right now.

People are talking about shopping outlets but they seem to be out of town and I don't have the time to do this. Also a lot of talk about sample sales but again how to find them.

Think I will concentrate on the main sites and leave the shopping to the big stores. Macy's etc. I am wondering about how much the new Nintendo Wii as my Grandchildren are talking about buying one. Here I think it is around £275 but don't know what the US price would be.

Once again many thanks for your advice and ideas. I am wondering just how near to Times Square I actually am. I printed off a way of walking about the streets and how to find them or identify them. Clear as mud to me.

Regards

Sue

Once again many thanks for your advice and ideas. I am wondering just how near to Times Square I actually am. I printed off a way of walking about the streets and how to find them or identify them. Clear as mud to me.

You can't get much closer! If you have a room at the front of the hotel, you'll be looking out over Times Square. The front of the hotel is right on Broadway, between 45th and 46th Streets. The TKTS booth for discounted show tickets is on the 46th Street side of the hotel.

I agree that given your time in the city, the shopping outlets are out - they are too far out of the city. One store that gets great reviews - but is not within walking distance of Times Square - is Century 21, which is downtown near the World Trade Center site. the website is http://www.c21stores.com. If you decide to go downtown, it might be worth a visit.

Enjoy!

Kathy thank you again for the information. I have been looking at a NYC web site and have read about the Rockafella and definately want to do this and St Patricks Cathedral. I most definately will do the bus tour as I can see quite a lot in a short time. I read reviews yesterday about Times Square some good and some very bad. Mainly due to the sheer numbers of people there day and night. Also talking about the shops and restaurants being much more expensive.

I see that I can buy a ticket for a show just right outside the Marriott Marquis as the normal booth is not open right now.

People are talking about shopping outlets but they seem to be out of town and I don't have the time to do this. Also a lot of talk about sample sales but again how to find them.

Think I will concentrate on the main sites and leave the shopping to the big stores. Macy's etc. I am wondering about how much the new Nintendo Wii as my Grandchildren are talking about buying one. Here I think it is around £275 but don't know what the US price would be.

Regards

Sue

The Wii is $249 U.S. at the Nintendo store in Rockefeller Center. If you are staying at the Marriott Marquis, you are right in Times Square. The Drowsy Chaperone also is playing there, it was a great show. Plenty of discounted tickets, too.

We helped someone on this thread with everything from restaurants to tours - if you have some time, take a look at it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=579200

I likewise had only 36 hours in NYC prior to my New England/Canada cruise in Sept/Oct '06. If you do your research (which it sounds like you are doing), it is possible to see all the major sights in that timeframe.

We purchased the Greyline Loop Bus 48 hour pass. It was great. We were on that bus at 9:00 I think down to Battery Park, boat to Liberty Island and Ellis Island. Lunch at the cafeteria on Ellis Island, back to NYC. Little Italy, Seaport Village, back to Times Square. Walked to Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, St. Patrick's Cathedral, and so much more. They were having a street fair, that was great fun too.

Then back to The Edison Hotel to freshen up for dinner. Caught the hop on/hop off bus back down to Lindy's for dinner and cheesecake. Started walking back to hotel, but got tired, so we hired a pedicab (what an experience).

Next morning up again early to the hop on/hop off bus to Central Park to Tavern on the Green. We arrived at 10:00 and they weren't open yet, so took a horse-drawn carriage ride in Central Park, saw Strawberry Fields Memorial to John Lennon, bocci field, beautiful Central Park, back to Tavern on the Green and the line had formed so we went in and took pictures and bought souvenirs, no time to eat. Had to be back at hotel at 12:00 for pick-up to the cruise pier. Made it just in time, grabbing a sandwich at the Deli next door to the hotel.

We saw and did everything on our list except Grand Central Station. We were on the hop on/hop off bus and had passed it before we realized it, then didn't want to back track, so didn't get to see it.

Take a look at the website for the Greyline tours, they have a nice map. You can plan your route, what you want to see and do. It's great. The best purchase for your buck in NYC.

I am getting really excited now that I am doing some research. Thanks so much for your information and you seem to have done a lot in the time you were there. Hopefully I can do the same.

I already decided to do the hop on hop off bus. Do you think the Greyhound one is the best as there seems to be several. I thought I might buy a pass which included either 3 or 5 entrance fee included. Seems to be around $109. I normally would go to the ship as early as possible but in this case I think I will spend the full morning in the city and go to the ship around 2pm.

I had some problem with a TA I called regarding this cruise. I had spoken to him previously just to enquire but I was not ready to book. I was still considering whether I would do a T/A with Celebrity or do the QM2. When I called back ready to make a booking he was so rude and said "are you calling to book or just to annoy me" Needless to say I had plenty to say to him. I made a complaint to the Company and he was given a written warning after they listened to the conversation I had with him. Including you can complain about me to me!

I called Cunard and they asked me to copy the letter of complaint to them, I got a apology from the TA as well as an offer of £100 off another cruise if I ever book with them.

I had made the booking with my usual TA in the meantime. Today I received a letter from Cunard (|The Manager of all Reservations) telling me that she hoped the situation with the TA was resolved. She told me that they would like to offer me a gift in my stateroom as a gesture of goodwill as I was a valued Cunard client. It was unexpected but a nice gesture. I presume that they have also been in touch with the TA and Max learns something from the situation.

He is only paid commission and I was told he generates 50% of the business but he is a salesman first and foremost and a very hard salesman. Not something I either want or need.

Just thought I would throw this in as there are many complaints about the Customer Services on the ground especially with Celebrity. Letters are often ignored or they take forever to answer them. I loved the QM2 and am really looking forward to being on board again.

Have a good weekend everyone! Once again many thanks.

Sue

Wii is the hottest selling game console in the U.S. this season. It retails everywhere for US$249.99, if you can find them. Just to make sure you get a set, give the Nintendo Store at the Rockefeller Center a call (646-459-0800) ahead of time and reserve a set, so you won't make a trip to the store in vain. The United States is still the best place to shop.

I will be staying in NY for 2 nights pre cruise. I am booked at the Marriot Marquise Times Square. I asked my TA to book this based on the Trip Advisor reviews. Hope I have made a good choice.

Sue

I like the Marriott Marquis. The Broadway Bar on the 8th Floor has outstanding views of Times Square. The bar actually juts out over the street and because you are only on the 8th Floor, you can see everything.

I think the Grayline 48 Hour All Loop is a must for first time visitors. It is also a lot of fun after the 50th time you've done it (LOL! I tour a lot of people around Manhattan as I used to work there).

Archived