More Questions for Pyrate 13 & Farm Girl

Susie

Hello,

Thanks to both of you for all of the wonderful information.

We'll be visiting Tortola for the second time in November. We went to the Baths the first visit and want to explore Tortola this time. I believe we'll rent a Jeep and try to tour the island. The shore excursion book we received had so many island sightseeing and beach choices that I am hoping we'll be able to see most of the same things ourselves. Is there a particular route we should drive to see the best of the island and the best views? I saw the map in a previous posting and will study that, too.

I know Tortola will be very beautiful. I'm really excited about visiting it again because it will essentially be a brand new stop for us since we didn't really see it last time (some 10 years ago)!

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

Susie

When you rent your vehicle make sure you grab a road map, they are free and usually sitting on the counter at most of the rental places. If you don't see one ask. Also, if you see one, grab a copy of the BVI Welcome magazine (also free) there is a map in there as well as lots of information.

The Blackburn Highway (becomes Waterfront Dr. in Road Town) is the main southern road and runs pretty much the entire length of Tortola. Much of it, right along the water. You will find some beautiful views from it.

The Ridge Rd. runs from East End to the top of Windy Hill. The roads to the north shore bays and beaches run off from it. You can reach most of the north shore beaches from the Ridge Rd.

If I were driving a route around the island I would go west from Road Town on the Blackburn to Sopers Hole/West End, come back a little bit and go north over Zion Hill Rd to Apple Bay then left on the North Coast Rd to see Long Bay and Smuggler's Cove. Note; the road to Smuggler's is narrow, dirt and quite rough, be careful.

I would then continue east on the coast road over Windy Hill where you will get some great shots of the islands to the north and west such as Jost Van Dyke and St. Thomas.

At this point you can bear to the left and continue down into Cane garden Bay or bear right and go on the Ridge Rd. I would take the road to CGB. Once you've been to CGB, continue east up the hill and watch for the road to the left that takes you to Brewer's Bay or I would continue up to the Ridge Rd where you can go to Sky World Restaurant. They have an observation deck on the roof there and on a clear day you can get a great 360 degree view of the islands.

From there you can continue east on the Ridge Rd. and take Brewer's Bay Rd. E. down to the bay. Return on that road to the ridge and head east, on Fahie Hill you will find the Painted Wall. This is a huge mural depicting life in the BVI and was painted by local artists.

Continue along the Ridge Rd and watch for the road to Josiah's Bay on the left. Joshia's is the surfer's Beach, particularly in the winter when the waves build. The next beach along the way would be Lambert's. I hear the resort there is being remodeled so there may be construction.

Once you reach East End you can either continue east and across the bridge to Beef Island or head back west along the Blackburn Highway back to Road Town. On Beef Island you will find the airport and Trellis Bay which has a few small shops, including two artist studios and the Loose Mongoose Bar. It's worth a visit. Also on Beef Island is Long Bay East, a very pretty beach that is empty of people most of the time. It is heavily used by the locals on weekends.

On you way back to Road town you will find several more nice vistas and photo opportunities.

Select your stops and watch your time, you're not likely to make all of the places in one day unless you only stay for a few minutes at each. Remember to drive on the left and at intersections watch for traffic coming on your right. There are a lot more road signs than there used to be so it's easier to get around. Back in the day, I got lost up on the ridge more than once.

Have fun, make sure your camera has lots of memory and batteries. You will pass some rough looking areas just as you would any where else in the world but you needn't worry, most crime on Tortola is petty theft and crimes of opportunity so don't leave your vehicle unlocked or valuables out in the open.

:)

Pyrate13 -

Thanks so much for the great island tour instructions. As you mentioned, I don't think we'll be able to cover everything here. If you were to break this down by 1/2 or even 1/3, what would you say the "don't miss" spots are?

Thanks again!

Susie

Susie,

Now that's a tough question. A lot depends on what you enjoy more then anything else.

If you want a little shopping along the way Soper's Hole is a pretty little harbor with a small variety of shops and a place for a cold drink.

For views, Windy Hill, Sky World and numerous spots along the Ridge Rd. are hard to beat, although the roads leading into CGB & Brewer's offer some good photo spots as well.

Pretty beaches, Smuggler's, Brewer's and Long Bay Beef Island are amongst my favorite's.

Less people when ship's are in port, head to Beef Island. Long Bay for swimming and Trellis Bay for the art studios and the Loose Mongoose for drinks and/or food.

The painted wall on the Ridge Rd. at Fahie Hill is local art at it's best. It may not be the great masters but gives you a feel of the local people.

If you're like me, the colors of the water as you drive along the south shore will make you want to stop and try to capture it in photos over and over again.

If you get part way around and are in the CGB area but find yourself needing to get back to the ship, head up over the ridge and down Joe's Hill Rd into Road Town. There is a spot on one corner where you can pull over and get a very nice shot of the "city" with your ship in the harbor.

It only took one trip for me to get hooked on the place and as many times as I've been back I find new things to see and more photos that need taking. Be careful, you may find yourself wanting to return for a longer visit. There are a few "hidden" beaches that visitors from the ships never see as they take a bit more effort to get to.

Pyrate13,

I thought it might be tough to narrow things down but it sounds like the points of interests that you have selected are great. I love the beautiful views and, like you, can't get enough photos of them. We like the beach, too, but we'll probably do that 3 out of 7 days so I wanted something different for Tortola. All of the information you have provided will be most helpful.

We actually printed out your map and were able to follow the route you provided in your first response.

For some reason, Beef Island is drawing me. Since Trellis Bay and Loose Mongoose Bar are that direction as well, I believe we'll head that way at some point.

Thank you so much for all of the information. It will undoubtedly make our Tortola visit very memorable. Can't wait to go.

Susie

Pyrate 13 & Susie....Have been reading your responses and they are GREAT!! Thank You....Could you give me advise on...If I just wanted to take my family...DW & 3 children 6-14 to a quiet place to enjoy the "beach"....where/how would I do that?? My family will be coming on a post Thanksgiving cruise with NCL and I KNOW they would LOVE that. Would I take a taxi from the port/dock....and ask them to take me....Where??? Beef Island pictures look awesome....but can anybody go....or is it like...say FLA....where it is lined with Hotels and ther are only a few "public" areas.....Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be wonderful!! Thank you.

Prinmin

All beaches in the BVI are public. There are no buildings along the Long Bay East beach on Beef Island, but that means no facilities as well. Joshia's Bay tends to be one of the quieter beaches and there are a couple of places for food and drinks. Not as many folks go to Lambert's either but I hear there is construction at the resort there so...

A taxi will take you to any of these. Make arrangements for a return pickup with your driver.

• 1 month later...

Pyrate 13,

DH & I will be in Tortola 12Noon to 10pm. renting a jeep wrangler to get around. thanks to your suggestions above, we will do alot of sightseeing during the day. What I am wondering is, where could you suggest a good place to have a nice "traditional island dinner". Nothing that will break the bank, but nice nonetheless. Also wondering about best place for sunset and best place for listening to a good local band before heading back to the ship. looke forward to hearing from you

thanks, lynn:o

Archived