Tables for 2?

Suesancy

Hi - just wondering if anyone knows how they allocate the "limited number" of Tables for 2 in the Traditional Dining Rooms? Is it on a first come first served basis, or the type of cabin you are in, or just pot luck? We asked for a table for 2 when we booked in February - and were waitlisted for 2nd sitting at that time. I notice we are now on 2nd Sitting on the Cruise personaliser. So just wondered what were our chances of getting that Table for 2? We are in an AC mini suite.

Hi - just wondering if anyone knows how they allocate the "limited number" of Tables for 2 in the Traditional Dining Rooms? Is it on a first come first served basis, or the type of cabin you are in, or just pot luck? We asked for a table for 2 when we booked in February - and were waitlisted for 2nd sitting at that time. I notice we are now on 2nd Sitting on the Cruise personaliser. So just wondered what were our chances of getting that Table for 2? We are in an AC mini suite.

It seems random. We were on the Crown last week, booked in March and got Traditional Late seating as we requested -- that was confirmed immediately, no waitlist. We requested a large table. We were booked in a PS suite. When we arrived for dinner the first night, we found our table to be for 4...and the other 2 never showed! When the head waiter made his way over, I mentioned that I know they can't accomodate every request, but that we had requested a large table and perhaps a change might be possible. He stated that he would look into it and asked our room # so that he could let us know the next day. When we told him, he recognized it as a suite, and reiterated that he'd check and if there was a change we'd have a letter at our door in the morning. Sure enough, we received a change to a wonderful table for 8. Turned out that 4 of the 8 had wanted the Early seating, and because they didn't get it they went to Anytime. Not sure how much our room category had to do with our getting the change because the other 2 who were reassigned along with us were in a standard balcony cabin. I think we just got lucky that it worked out the way we'd hoped.

If you don't get the table for 2 (not sure where those are, as we were seated at the front area of the dining room and I didn't notice any tables for 2), you could either mention it and see if they can somehow accomodate you, or possibly switch to Anytime and see if you can get a standing reservation for each night at a table for 2.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise! :)

We have always requested a table for 2 at dinner. We were given one 3 out of 4 times. The time we did not get one we introduced ourselves and spoke to the Maitre d and he tood care of it for us right away. We also had mini suites. Hopefully we will be just as lucky in a few weeks. We love to meet new people and always sit at large tables at breakfast and lunch but like to spend our evenings to ourselves.

Good luck:)

If it is showing up in your cruise personalizer then I would expect that you will get your table for two and are no longer waitlisted.

We always request a late seating, table for two and only once were waitlisted so we changed to personal choice and had our table for two each evening without wait.

Happy Cruising!

If it is showing up in your cruise personalizer then I would expect that you will get your table for two and are no longer waitlisted.

We always request a late seating, table for two and only once were waitlisted so we changed to personal choice and had our table for two each evening without wait.

Happy Cruising!

The only thing the personalizer shows is which seating and whether it is confirmed or waitlisted. The size of table is not part of the personalizer. We were confirmed for late seating, and we had requested a large table (easier to accomodate than a table for 2) and we still did not initially get a large table assignment. You won't know until you board, and then you can request a change if you are unhappy. Sometimes they can accomodate, sometimes they can't. How they prioritize is anyone's guess. We were in a full suite and did not initially get the large table we wanted. We got lucky after the first night because space opened where others had wanted early seating.

I think once on board just go to the Dinning Room Inquiry Desk and the Head Waiter or Maitre D will be there and you can see if your request is granted for a table for two.

On my cruise on 9/29, we did this as when we stepped away from the check in desk and received our cruise cards we noticed it said anytime dining, we were confirmed for 1st seating traditional. So as soon as we dropped off hand luggage in the room, I called front desk to ask where I go to speak to someone. For us it was in the Michelangelo Dining room and there was a very short line at the time, but when we finished the line was long. I had a copy of my cruise personalizer in my hand with the confirmed seating and we were put at a table with 6 others. We did not mind being seated with others.

So I am sure you can request tables for 2 once onboard or ask when you check in and get your cruise cards, or if you booked through a TA have them check prior to your cruise or call Princess. So Many options. Happy Cruising.:)

Getting a table for two generally is based upon when you make the request - the sooner the better. We were on the old Royal Princess in 2003 and upon boarding went to check on our reservation. The couple in front of us demanded to get a table for 2, and were turned down. Our request for a table for two was fine and the Maitre 'd told us that with the limited number of "2-tops", the cut off was requests made about 9 months prior to that cruise. We were not in a suite, mini or even balcony cabin. It was simply a Cat GG outside cabin. Our next cruise after that was also on the old Royal Princess in a GG cabin, and again we had a table for two.

On our last cruise on the Pacific Princess we requested a table for two, ended up with a table for four with another couple and we requested a new table after one night. I'll be polite and simply say we weren't "sympatico". We were changed to a small round table for four but it was converted to a table for two for us.

I guess the moral of the story is request it early for the best chance, but ask after you board because you may be pleasantly surprised.

Jim

You do not say which ship you are sailing on so want to let you know that some of the Princess ships do not have tables for two in their Traditional Dining Rooms. You will find that if they use the Traditional Dining room for breakfast and lunch you will not even be able to get a table for two at those times.

We choose anytime dining just for that reason as we always receive a table for two - these dining rooms usually have many tables for two. If you want Traditional dining because you like the same table, time, and wait staff just make a standing reservation at the table you like in the Anytime Dining Room. This can easily be done when leaving the dining room especially if it is the first night or two of the cruise.

The wait staff rotates from cruise to cruise which dining rooms they work in so Traditional Dining does not give you any better waiters than Anytime Dining does. In fact you can usually choose your table and waiters in Anytime Dining rather than have Princess choose them for you.

Archived