What to pack on a 7 night Caribbean Cruise? Family of 6!

I was just curious as to what people pack on a 7 night cruise to the Caribbean? We have done the 3 nighters and this will be our first long cruise and first cruise with 3 kids (ages 3.5,6 and 10) plus my MIL.

I don't want to pack too much, but I don't want to forget any essentials!?

We are skiping formal nights as we are not too impressed with the menu to justify dressing all of us up.

I was told to take an over-the-door shoe organizer for the small items but no clue what to put inside it.

Any suggestions on how or what to bring?

Thanks in advance! :o

One way to keep the amount of luggage under control is to assume you can wear almost everything twice. I do this with clothes for daytime (I do enjoy the dressing up, so my wardrobe for dinners is a little out of control), and just figure that if I get something really dirty and need to wear it again, I'll send it to the laundry. A quick spritz with Febreze will also freshen things up.

Pack light, use the laundry service instead of buying extra new clothes and underwear, especially for the kids. In the long run, it will cost less :)

The over the door shoe holder can be essential for families, not so much for just 2 in a cabin. When we have travelled with our kids, we use one, having it face out into the cabin hallway, not in the bathroom like popular belief. In it goes: bottles of sunscreen, cabin keys ( get one with clear pockets!) flip flops, shoes, hairbrushes, sun visors, papers and any other odds and ends that will end up clutterering the table tops or lost under a pile.

The bathroom has ample storage for toiletries. Drawer space is minimal, closet space is minimal, always keep that in mind.

Are the kids going to AO? If yes, shorts and tees are the order here. Do not go out and buy tons on clothes for the kids (or go to second hand store if needed).

To get a family photo ask someone to take a pic or two (if digital you can delete any you don't like). Go to a staircase (main one) for the group shot. Then find any interesting place and get a shot there too. Cheaper this way.

I would use two over the door holders. Yes clear plastic is better. One by the door for Room keys, sunscreen, shoes, ect. The other in bathroom for toothpaste, brushes, combs and meds.

Formal nights the AO takes the kids to Jonny Rockets or the Buffet (sectioned off for them). You and spouse could go to Chops/ect on your own or with MIL.

We've never needed the "shoe holder"--My makeup is on the vanity in a make-up case, and there are so many nooks and crannies for things (behind every mirror is a cabinet!), that I don't bring anything extra, storage-wise!

Definitely plan on wearing things that aren't really "dirty" more than once! But--with kids, there's no way to "pack light", so stop trying! Just pack what you need, and don't worry about it!

We've never needed the "shoe holder"--My makeup is on the vanity in a make-up case, and there are so many nooks and crannies for things (behind every mirror is a cabinet!), that I don't bring anything extra, storage-wise!

Definitely plan on wearing things that aren't really "dirty" more than once! But--with kids, there's no way to "pack light", so stop trying! Just pack what you need, and don't worry about it!

For 2 people, it's true a shoe holder isn't very useful, but for a family it can be the difference between getting along or bickering all week because you can't find anything.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your statement that there is no way to pack light. I pack very light in comparison to most, at least it sure seems that way when we breeze by couples who have to use a porters cart to haul their luggage 30 feet to the curb. I can pack my husband and I in one full sized suitcase and one garment bag and one carry on, not per person, for both. I find it's too much work to pack heavy, both coming and going, regardless of who has to lift the luggage. If you pay attention and think things through, pack what you need and forget the "what ifs", light packing is very doable and a great way to travel.

For kids, you just pay a few $ for laundry, no need to overpack and overbuy clothes that probably won't be used ever again. It really does cost less in the long run.

With kids, make sure you have PLENTY of clothes!!! They dribble soda and ice cream, and boys tend to drop their t-shirts by the pool a LOT (my stepson went thru at least 2 t-shirts a day when he was 12.....it was sooo frustrating!) There's no such thing as packing light for kids!! Skipping the formal nights will help, that's for sure.

Three children, your DH and your MIL? You need Aspirin and Tylenol, everything else is just baggage. :D

I don't know what ship you are on but I imagine it's one of the larger ones. It's amazing how much storage space there is.

P.S. Have a wonderful time :).

We're a family of four with kids 17 and 21 who shared a D1 cabin. We did fine the last two times and will splurge the next cruise on two cabins, BUT you can make it work! Here's some things we liked to do:

I like to pack some clothes in one or two gallon baggies to keep it organized. It's easy to flip the bags around to different places once you get into the cabin and you can also organize the kids clothes if you have the time before you leave. I enjoy planning and packing LONG before I really need to...it starts the vacation sooner!

Oh, and suitcases fit under the bed and you can use them as a "drawer" to put dirty clothes or whatever in if you put them in with the opening toward you.

I got a suction cup toothbrush holder that held our brushes and toothpaste. It was one thing less on the bathroom counter.

Yes. the over the door shoe rack is a must..it holds sooooo much!

Do whatever you can to use the same toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, etc. ) But most important, bring what makes you and your family happy...you'll find the room!

Have a great cruise!:)

I packed some shorts for my boys (8 and 10) that are made of a quick dry material (similiar to boys swim suits), and I washed them out in the sink and hung to dry in the shower (there is a cord to go across). I agree that kids wear more clothes than adults since they get messy. I used the cleaning service on board and kids clothes are not very expensive to get clean. And don't forget you will probably buy some cheap tourist t-shirts at the ports as well. Have fun!

Three children, your DH and your MIL? You need Aspirin and Tylenol, everything else is just baggage. :D

I don't know what ship you are on but I imagine it's one of the larger ones. It's amazing how much storage space there is.

P.S. Have a wonderful time :).

AMEN! I always cruise with DH, 3 kids (9,9, and 13), and MIL...A drink is in order as soon as you board (congratulate yourself for getting everyone there)!! Everything else just doesn't matter;)

I understand completely. We cruise with our 3 children and sometimes my mother also comes along. We actually did a 10 day Hawaii cruise, including formal night clothes, all in carrying on- luggage. If any of your children are boys, pack a tan pair and a blue pair of kaki/ docker type of pants, brown shoes, and 4 polo shirts. The shirts get worn twice each and can be inexpensively washed if needed. This will cover them for all casual dinners. Take a pair of black dress slacks and a white dress shirt,black shoes and two different ties for formal nights. Then take a blue pair and a black pair of sports shorts for them to wear during the day and on shore. Take a couple of t-shirts, but not too many as you will be buying souvener t-shirts.Take socks, undies,jammies and a swimsuit and you are all set for the boys. It will fit in one suitcase. We have a policy when we sail, "if it looks clean and smells clean,... it is clean". Also, my very favorite cruise tip is to take a pop up mesh hamper ($2.99 at Wal-mart). It folds flat, so I lay it on top of my clothes right before zipping up the suitcase and it keeps my clothes from shifting around and getting wrinkled, then we set it up in the corner of the cabin to catch dirty clothes. If we want to do laundry we pick it up by the handles and head to the laundry room. I keep quarters and laundry soap in the side pockets. Happy sailing.

MiniMom-your right- the last few years we have cruises on other cruise lines. I am happy to say though, that we will be sailing on RCCL in June. We haven't found a cruiseline yet that we don't like, and we consider ourselves "equal opportunity cruisers", but we have missed Royal Caribbean so much. Our very first cruise was on Nordic Empress in 1989, and I think you are always fondest our you first cruise ship/ cruise line.

I put all of our family's clothes that we plan on taking in a "staging area." Then I take HALF of the clothes away and put them back in our dressers/closets.!!!

I have 2 pre-teen boys. I bring 2 dressy pairs of pants and 3 dressy shirts for each of them. They wear these same clothes to dinner each night. Immediately after dinner, they go back to the cabin and change into "comfortable" clothes. If they've dropped some food on them, I just spot treat it in the bathroom sink.

Please reconsider eating in the dining room on formal nights because of clothing. My kids have discovered all sorts of amazing foods on our cruises. And formal night brings out some great dishes!

• 3 weeks later...

11 days out and we just started packing. I like the idea of packing the whole outfit together, saves from rummaging! I purchased a pop-up hamper as well as over the door shoe holder for the smaller items. We are not doing formal nights, so I save packing space that way! I am also taking an extra small duffle bag for all the goodies we purchase @ the ports. Thanks for all of the tips, they were a big help.

Archived