Odyssey - Cancellation Insurance Question

MarciAnn

I started a new thread since the last one was getting so long. I booked two V1 cabins on the Venice to Athens cruise (hoping the kids will want to come) and per my TA there hasn't been a rush of bookings. Lucky for me I guess because I was able to reserve prime location, but my sense was that I was the first to book this category on the ship. The discount on this cruise was not a lot and perhaps the cost (I feel it is quite pricey) accounts for the slow booking.

In any event, I have a question on the trip cancellation insurance. Most policies require that you purchase the insurance within 2 weeks of deposit to avail oneself of the pre-exisitng condition clause. The 25% deposit is due within 3 days of booking. So I would have to buy the insurance almost 2 years before the cruise even though I can cancel up to 90 days before for a full refund. Does anyone know of a policy that doesn't have that 2 week clause or otherwise have suggestions?

Thanks!

A couple of points:

Your TAs comments about the booking is not exactly accurate. There is a timing system in place so that only certain people can book certain of the cruises at certain times. The concept is so that people with priority do not need to book instantly, but have a week to do so when it is their turn.

Your TA is also wrong about the insurance. If you want Seabourn's insurance you have absolutely no reason to purchase it now. You can, without any limitation in coverage, purchase it when you make your timely final payment.

In fact, the only coverage for most third party policies that will be of possible limitation is pre-existing illness coverage which will generally be excluded prior to the date you purchase your insurance...but check the coverage and terms of the specific policies you are considering.

Eric,

Thanks for your reply. Both my TA and I are aware of the timing issue in the booking. I fall into the first priority and was commenting on the particular cruise I booked within that priority status, although she was commenting on all cruise bookings during this particular priority week. Not sure about the maiden voyage, but it is open for booking if we had wanted to reserve that cruise. No cpmplaints from me. I am thrilled with my cabin locations!

On the insurance question, my concern is specifically with the pre-existng condition waiver for which, I believe, all insurance policies require it to be purchased within 2 weeks of deposit in order to be effective. I know that if I did not want the waiver I could wait to book until the time

of final payment The Seabourn policy has never interested me, because in my opinion, the coverage is simply not as good as others offered. It provides no waiver of the pre-existing condition exclusion, although it does provide for a cruise credit in the event of cancellation for a reason that would otherewise fall within the pre-existng condition category. I am not sure how long you have to use the credit, but i would still prefer a policy that provides for a cash refund. I was wondering if anyone knew of another policy that does not require the 2 week purchase window on the pre-exisitng condition waiver provision.

Check out CSA which, I believe, allows pre-existing conditions coverage if purchased prior to final payment.

Be careful with CSA. Many of their "policies" are really secondary insurance and will only pay after you deal with your primary carrier/Medicaid, etc.

Archived