Princess & Mexico (West/Riviera)

gopher's girl

My mom is very concerned about me cruising to the Mexican Riviera in January. (She's a good mom!) She has been to Acapulco and some other places in Mexico and though she claims she was very careful she always gets very ill and remains ill for several weeks after returning home. She thinks that I will be the same way, but I am trying to reassure her that Princess picks up their food in Los Angeles and purifies the water on the ship so I don't have to worry when I'm not in port. In port I am planning on sticking to beer or bottled water and really just not eating there (eating before and after will be sufficient).

Should I get a prescription before I leave home?

Should I be worried about the food on the ship? (One banana from Mexico and I could be done for!)

I know these cruises go to these ports six months out of the year and I have not seen any posts on these boards about this problem. Just looking for some reassurance and sensible warnings.

Thanks for your help!

(I know I can post this on the Mexico ports board too but I am interested in the Princess take on it and how Princess handles this issue.)

Two years ago I was on the Sun Princess to Mexican Rivera round-trip out of L.A. and had absolutely no problem with the food on the ship. In fact while we were sitting out on our balcony we watched them load all of the food on the ship. So tell your mother not to worry. In fact next month we are going on the Sapphire round-trip out of S.F. to Mex. Rivera and I am not worried at all. Of course while you are on excursions you may want to be careful where you eat and drink. It is just common sense. Hope this helps.

Marilyn

I agree that the food on board should be fine - but your mother might be more comfortable with bottled water. Ship's water does adversely affect some with very sensitive stomachs (my wife included). On two different occasions, once on Princess and once on Crystal, she was advised by the ship's doctor to drink bottled water, not the ship's tap water.

Michael

I've done the cruise to Mexico twice. No illness problems either time. I admit to limiting my food intake while onshore to bottled beverages! ....And remember, wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands.....Norwalk virus lurks everywhere!

I have lived here in Mexico City for about 2 years (I am American), and I have traveled all over the country, I shop at their supermarkets. Mexico is actually much cleaner than everyone thinks. If you are worried, stay away from really spicey sauces and water that is not bottled, otherwise you should be find. Usually when people travel (anywhere) there is a change in food intake or quality, therefore the stomach can get very irritated. Now, I have problems with food when i return to the States!!! Don't worry and have fun, Acapulco bay named "one of the top 3 most beautiful bays in the world". I go there once a month, it is heaven.

.as everyone else has said, no problem onboard the ship. Also, while on a horseback ride in Mazatlan we all stopped at a beach open air eatery that had terrific bbq. Some of us were a little aprehensive about eating there. Our guide just told us she always brings her people here, has been doing so for a long while and wouldn't have the reputation she does if she were making people sick, how true. So we ate the best bbq shrimp ever. Don't worry.

...Acapulco bay named "one of the top 3 most beautiful bays in the world". I go there once a month, it is heaven.

Yes it is GORGEOUS! I have been to the Mexican Riv 6 times, and am getting ready to depart on my 7th in 5 wks! MiamiNicole - I hate to say it, but Acapulco is the ONLY place where I've ever gotten the least bit ill. I am pretty sure it was from snorkeling in the bay - I'm sure I swallowed some water - like ya do - (which has a terrible sewer/pollution problem in some areas - we were out by one of the islands that is a bird sanctuary?) It wasn't too bad - just a little diarrhea - which I know sounds gross, but it helped keep me thin with all the fabulous cruise food and (Bella Vista/Las Briasas - MOST BEAUTIFUL RESTAURANT VIEW ON EARTH!) I was eating. ;) It only lasted 24 hrs, and was not a big deal AT ALL.

Other than that - every restaurant and hotel where you might eat at ashore has filtered water/ice/etc.... I would stay away from fruit vendors - but the water in restaurants, and MARGARITAS/ice... are all fine! You have to try the local food - some of the best food EVER!

As for the ship's tap water - it has some salt content from how they filter it, so bottled water is definately the way to go - I know I get enough "bloat" just from the food intake! :)

Archived