Cruise vs. All Inclusive Resort ?

susycruise

It would depend on when you want to go, for how long, and how many there are of you. Any kids? Certain resorts include them for free, it would just be airfare. Air is a big determining factor, especially during holidays and vacation times. It can also matter where you are coming from. Big hubs have direct flights, charters, etc and can be less costly. Certain airports have charter services like Bradley in CT, Humphrey in Minn, etc. We are spoiled here in NJ because we can choose between JFK, LaGuardia, Newark, and Philly. Even Atlantic City can have some great deals on Spirit. Apple Vacations has their own charter airline that they use for their packages and they are now selling to the general public on flights from their cities.

What do you recommend for dates and destinations if we're looking for the best value? (No kids, just adults flying out of DC or Baltimore, looking to go anywhere tropical!:D ) We're not limited by dates -- any time is fine as long as it's planned in advance. Always wanted to try an AI, but always thought they'd be too expensive on our limited budget. I have a difficult time searching, because unlike cruises, you can't view all available on one page to compare dates/destinations. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :D

I've found the cruise to be more cost effective. Once you add in the flight and food, it's always worked out ot be much more expensive than a cruise. However, I do miss being able to really get to know an island, cruising - you're just skimming. We stayed on St. Martin for a week and went to Philipsburg, Marigot, Grand Case, Orient Beach, Dawn Beach, Cupecoy Beach, Baie Longue, Baie Rouge, La Samanna, and went horseback riding at Anse Marcel. We ate at something Dupont on the harbor in Marigot, the best meal I've ever had. I had my first nicoisse salad in Marigot. So, I guess it's obvious how much I loved this week. But it is so much more expensive. If money is no object, I would prefer the week, I'd go to St. Thomas, my new favorite island.

We also stayed a week in Cancun at an all inclusive that had horrible food.:( Believe me, it was no treat. Judy

"a top notch AI is a lot less money than a cruise when everything is factored in, including the type of cabin we stay in"

BobBeaSea: I have never found this to be the case, please advise me of a specific, because I think I would be ready for a land vacation. Thanks, Judy

"a top notch AI is a lot less money than a cruise when everything is factored in, including the type of cabin we stay in"

BobBeaSea: I have never found this to be the case, please advise me of a specific, because I think I would be ready for a land vacation. Thanks, Judy

Judy, we can fly out of Toronto or Hamilton for a week at the Paradisus Palma Real in Punta Cana (top notch resort 5* +) in high season (end of Feb.) for $2900.00 a person. This includes everything and I mean everything, no matter what you want or when and how you want it, top shelf booze, capuccinos, espressos, golf, cigars and cigarettes, whatever you want.

We cruise with RCI, in a Junior Suite. The price for this out of Florida around the end of Feb. is about $2100.00 per person. Add to this about $550.00 per for flights. Then add the Seapass bill (booze, tips, special coffees, soft drinks (for heaven's sake) and whatever else you get hit with) this usually totals around $1200.00 (for two). This doesn't count excursions or money spent on land, to keep it apples to apples. All prices shown are Canadian. All told, it's about $350.00 per person cheaper. And this is for an absolutely fabulous property, not a mass market cruise ship. There are many fine resorts in Punta Cana where we can go to for about $2000.00 - $2400.00 per person. Paradisus Palma Real is special. I hope this helps.....:)

ok, let me give you an example: last March I did an AI for clients that usually cruise but they just wanted something for a few days, an escape from job pressures. 4 nights, Mexico, no air, 4 star resort $900 per person. yes, it included booze and tips, but that is still higher than an outside cabin on a 4 day cruise if you factor in the booze, plus there is little to no entertainment. The exception would be, those who have a $1000 bar bill on a cruise ship. Sorry the cost for cruising is less.

Nita

What do you recommend for dates and destinations if we're looking for the best value? (No kids, just adults flying out of DC or Baltimore, looking to go anywhere tropical!:D ) We're not limited by dates -- any time is fine as long as it's planned in advance. Always wanted to try an AI, but always thought they'd be too expensive on our limited budget. I have a difficult time searching, because unlike cruises, you can't view all available on one page to compare dates/destinations. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :D

The best time to go away to an AI and save money is in the Fall, October is great and so is early November and in between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I did my family of 4 from Newark to Punta Cana last November for a week, 7 nights with air and all taxes and fees for $3500US total. This was on the charters and my son was free, just air. For you from BWI to PUJ, it would run you around $1300US each, and this is leaving on November 12 at the Iberostar Bavaro and is in a junior suite. For the Riu Palace Punta Cana, it is $1340 each. The Melia Caribe Tropical is $1290 each. The Riu Bambu is a good property, and if you want a bargain, it is $980 each. These are this years prices, so usually you can add from 3-5% for an increase for next year, but it is possible there will be a better price on air so you may pay the same or less!

The Rviera Maya is another great choice for all inclusives. I was just down there in September and it is one of my favorite places to go. Leaving on November 10th, for the Riu Palace Riviera Maya it is $1368 per person, The Bahia Principe Coba is $1078 per person, the Grand Palladium is $1308 each, and the Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar is $1268 each. This is also for 7 nights and includes all the taxes, tips, and fees. The only thing these prices don't include is insurance, which is $99 each, and is cancel for any reason.

All of these properties are beachfront, close to all kinds of activities, include top shelf liquor, and are great bargains. As I usually say "you can gain 10 pounds, get drunk, and snorkel to your hearts content!" They include all non-motorized water sports as well. These resorts offer entertainment 7 nights a week. If you want to lie on a beach, check out the local culture, do some shopping, and just relax, it is great. I have been to every one of these properties and can recommend them heartily. I usually stay at the Riu properties because I like what they have. many of the AI's have a coupon system for the ala carte restaurants and you are supposed to be able to use them for a limited number of visits. Riu doesn't have that so I can sit in the gourmet restaurant every night if I wish.

I think if you know what to look for, the bargains are there. It can compete with the cost of a cruise, but as so many others have said, it is a different type of vacation. I love both!

And yes, I am a TA :D

Why not do both. We as family group have cruised for many years and as way of a main holiday/vacation we book say 7 nights Las Vegas then fly L.A. or Miami for a seven day cruise. Last year was 4 nights New York then a 10 day South Carribean out of New York Harbour. Combining the the two makes for a memorable experience and certainly makes it feel a longer holiday.We normally start by finding the right cruise at the right price then build a holiday around that. Do your research then present it to an independent TA and if you don't have the confidence to do all the bookings yourself. Hope this has provided food for thought. Regards Wilba

Wish I could do it, but I can't get us a week less than $5000.00, :eek: and that's a standard room. There are 3 of us. We don't spend that on our cruises. I like to go every year, plus we go to Disney a couple of times a year. Maybe when I graduate and I'm earning more. Thank for everyones' input, I appreciate it and I looked at some fabulous places, Riu Palace Punta Canta, andThe Gran Bahia Principe Akumal! Judy

I think for an AI to be comparable cost wise to a cruise, you need to book a larger cabin and drink alot. Most AI deals are on 4 day trips that folks are comparing to 7 days on a ship.

I have never found any AI that can compete to an inside cabin for a couple that has only 2 drinks per day.

So it all depends on what you are looking for. I think both have a good place in vacation planning.

I think for an AI to be comparable cost wise to a cruise, you need to book a larger cabin and drink alot. Most AI deals are on 4 day trips that folks are comparing to 7 days on a ship.

I have never found any AI that can compete to an inside cabin for a couple that has only 2 drinks per day.

So it all depends on what you are looking for. I think both have a good place in vacation planning.

AI deals are available for 3 nights, 4 nights, 5 nights, and 7 nights. Some are even for 10 nights. If you are going to compare apples to apples, you really can't compare an inside cabin to a room with a view, so right from the start, the accomodations are a step up. All of the prices I provided before were for 7 nights, and had no hidden fees. Even the tips were included, and that is an expense that has to be added on to the cruise, so there is at least another $140 per couple ($10 per day per person).

Like I said before, both are great, they are just different and deals can be found for both. Each has their following, and fo many people, they enjoy both. Personally, as long as I am on a plane or a ship going somewhere, I am happy! :D

If you are going to compare apples to apples, you really can't compare an inside cabin to a room with a view, so right from the start, the accomodations are a step up. :D

I tend to agree but that is my point. I don't care about about the window and don't want to pay for the window or extra square feet so an AI can't touch an inside cabin room pricewise.

If you like unlimited alcohol, I would agree that if you are booking suites then the prices do compare season to season. But you have to search hard to find AIs that compare pricewise to balconies or outside cabins. But since we are on CC, I would think we don't really mind do that research.

Just don't let's ignor the value of booking an inside cabin, it lets folks afford cruises that could not otherwise. And some of us afford twice as many cruises.

Cheers.

I tend to agree but that is my point. I don't care about about the window and don't want to pay for the window or extra square feet so an AI can't touch an inside cabin room pricewise.

If you like unlimited alcohol, I would agree that if you are booking suites then the prices do compare season to season. But you have to search hard to find AIs that compare pricewise to balconies or outside cabins. But since we are on CC, I would think we don't really mind do that research.

Just don't let's ignor the value of booking an inside cabin, it lets folks afford cruises that could not otherwise. And some of us afford twice as many cruises.

Cheers.

OK, lets really compare the 2-

Inside cabin- $549.00 + tax ($75?) = $625 average. Some will be higher and some will be lower. Air average $400 per person roundtrip. Transfers $50 per person (minimum). Tips- $10 pppd= $140 for 7 nights. Booze- $10 pppd = $140 (this is low, for 2 drinks pppd). Total for 2 people = $2430.00 or $1215 each. This does not include snorkeling or other non-motorized water sports that would be included at an AI.

AI- Ocean Blue jr suite oceanview departing from Newark on Nov 12, 7 nights, $827.09 per person, and that includes everything. (This is a really great deal). Riu Bambu- $977.09 per person, more the norm for this time. This is in Punta Cana.

Riviera Maya and Cancun- from EWR, departing on 12/01- Dreams Tulum- $1097.44 per person, Bahia Principe Coba- $1047.44 each, Sunscape Puerto Aventuras- $797.44 per person.

It's just a matter of knowing where to look :D

I have only done one AI and it had very mediocre food and the booze was lousy.

Now that I am older, I find that excessive drinking does not enhance my vacation (nor does being around a bunch of drunks), so I really don't want to be paying for it if I'm not going to be drinking it.

As for snorkeling and sunning, not my thing. I like the organized activities onboard - games, quizzes, dance lessons- and the comedians and productions shows. Occasionally I go to group exercise classes, the fitness center and spa. I don't remember any of that at the AI I went to, of course that was 30 years ago and maybe there are better ones now. I do find it hard to imagine such wonderful service in our cabins and dining room at an AI.

Now that I am older, I find that excessive drinking does not enhance my vacation (nor does being around a bunch of drunks), so I really don't want to be paying for it if I'm not going to be drinking it.

As for snorkeling and sunning, not my thing. I like the organized activities onboard - games, quizzes, dance lessons- and the comedians and productions shows. Occasionally I go to group exercise classes, the fitness center and spa. I don't remember any of that at the AI I went to, of course that was 30 years ago and maybe there are better ones now. I do find it hard to imagine such wonderful service in our cabins and dining room at an AI.

You really needed to stay at a nice AI, great food, top shelf booze, lots to do and no drunks. :) Excellent AI's are about much, much more than booze.

I'd be curious as to what AI you were at 30 years ago, weren't too many around back then.

Like I said before, it is a matter of taste and many people prefer both, but of course there are fans of each and will stay loyal to their preference.

But I do want you to know that the AI of today is not the Club Med of 25 years ago. Top shelf AI's are on a par with the best hotels in the world, and the service that they offer, the food that they serve, and the liquor in the bar is second to none. I love AI's because I love the beach, good food, and exploring the local area. I usually rent cars just to drive around and learn all about an area. I love cruising because I have itchy feet and like to go to as many places as possible and have the luxury and amenities waiting for me when I get back. That is why we cruise once a year, and do an AI once a year, plus I have my little 3 night getaways for business a couple of times a year.

I am not trying to push them down anyone's throat, but I do want you all to know that they are a very good alternative for a vacation. JMHO :D

Cheers.

Affordability is a huge issue for us, so while we stay in resorts frequently, we don't do AI, we have a timeshare. Our food cost is up to us - cook it ourselves or go out (cook most, go out some). We usually have a 2 bedroom/2 bath so can invite family or friends to join us without upping the cost of the accomodations.

ditto the booze - want it, pay for it. Entertainment? go find it and pay for it. We love hot tubbing under the stars or playing cards on the balcony so we're pretty cheap to entertain ; )

We can timeshare many times a year without coming close to the cost of a cruise since we can drive instead of fly and there is only one annual fee. I've gone on 3 trips this year 'with the girls' to resorts and even with fuel, food and entertainment it was certainly cheaper than one cruise, and more spacious.

It's just another vacation option (altho I know many would refuse to cook while on vacation, it's ok by me). Not all resorts are AI, and some that are AI aren't AI-Mandatory.

OK, lets really compare the 2-

Inside cabin- $549.00 + tax ($75?) = $625 average. Some will be higher and some will be lower. Air average $400 per person roundtrip. Transfers $50 per person (minimum). Tips- $10 pppd= $140 for 7 nights. Booze- $10 pppd = $140 (this is low, for 2 drinks pppd). Total for 2 people = $2430.00 or $1215 each. This does not include snorkeling or other non-motorized water sports that would be included at an AI.

AI- Ocean Blue jr suite oceanview departing from Newark on Nov 12, 7 nights, $827.09 per person, and that includes everything. (This is a really great deal). Riu Bambu- $977.09 per person, more the norm for this time. This is in Punta Cana.

Riviera Maya and Cancun- from EWR, departing on 12/01- Dreams Tulum- $1097.44 per person, Bahia Principe Coba- $1047.44 each, Sunscape Puerto Aventuras- $797.44 per person.

It's just a matter of knowing where to look :D

Hey, thanks for the info, You are getting warmer, I usually pay less for the cruise, air and the transfers but with your finds do give us something to think about!

We spent a week in the caribbean one year and DH was ready to pay any amount to get us home early. He was fine for 3 days and then got very restless to move on. He felt trapped on the island.

We like the fact that there are so many activities on a ship. We love the movement of the ship. Most of all, we love being in a new place each day.

We like ships with lots of different restaurants so we can eat at a different place each night without having to drive. We love the convenience of having everything at our finger tips.

We travel to timeshare resorts during the year but our favorite vacations are always our cruises.

We cancelled a cruise this past year for an AI to Punta Cana. Our group wanted to try an AI because we had never been on one. We stayed at the Colonial Majestic in Punta Cana. We hated it!!! The resort was beautiful but the food was the worst ever. I guess we are not chillin people. We do not like to lay at the beach or pool for 7 days. We did go on 1 excursion and maybe should have gone on more but..... maybe another island where it would be safe to get off the grounds but I think I'll stick to cruising for now.

We cancelled a cruise this past year for an AI to Punta Cana. Our group wanted to try an AI because we had never been on one. We stayed at the Colonial Majestic in Punta Cana. We hated it!!! The resort was beautiful but the food was the worst ever. I guess we are not chillin people. We do not like to lay at the beach or pool for 7 days. We did go on 1 excursion and maybe should have gone on more but..... maybe another island where it would be safe to get off the grounds but I think I'll stick to cruising for now.

I'm not surprised you hated it, you couldn't pay me to stay at this property. If there is a next time, pick a better property. :D

In this situation, a TA would have been of use to you. The Majestic is a newer property, but the reviews have been very mixed. Just for future reference, the Riu Palaces, The Iberostars, The Sunscape (will be Dreams for the new year), The Paradisus Palma Real, and if it like the other properties in their folio, the new Moon Palace are excellent choices in Punta Cana. I cannot speak for the Excellence property since I have not been there since they changed it over from Secrets, but if it is like their sister property in Riviera Maya, then it is still stunning.

There are also certain properties that are marketed to certain areas in the world. Riu has an additional property in PUJ, but it is not available to the US market as it is sold to European clients through Tui, a supplier there that is similar to Apple or FunJet here.

BBSea, make sure either you or your TA emails the P Palma Real about a week before you go down to request any special ameninites you would like, such as an upgraded room if available, or reservations for the first night you are there since they are usually gone by the time you check in and get settled. If possible, ask for a room near the pool and spa. Absolutely beautiful over there and right near everything like restaurants and beach.:D

Christine, thanks for the heads up. I normally e-mail the resort well before we go, usually find a "go-to" person, if you know what I mean :). I am thinking of skipping the Royal Service, we really don't require it however this service does get the better rooms so, still thinking about it.. The only thing I ask for is to not be on the ground floor. The tip about being near the pool and spa is great, thanks. This property looks a heck of a lot easier to walk around than their other Punta Cana property, which is huge in terms of acreage.:D

So glad I have found you! We've been on 3 cruises and 1 Ai. We are booked for 2 weeks at Hacienda Vista Real (Ai) in Playa Del Carmen in June 08. I cannot find anyone who has been there or know anything about it. Do you?

Also shopping for a cruise for week Feb. 24 - March 2. We have booked a RT flight to Ft. Lauderdale 2/23 - 3/2. Can't seem to find anything interesting on land there unless we go to Miami. Any suggestions? The best cruise I seem to be able to find is the Caribbean Princess 7 day.

Thanks for any info! :o

We are avid cruisers who had a very unsatisfying experience on a cruise a few years ago. We thought we must have been suffering from cruise fatigue, so the following year, we booked an AI instead.

By the 4th day of the AI vacation, we were bored with sitting on the beach every day, looking at the same scenery, having done everything there was offered to do. By the 5th day, my teens and my husband said they were "vacationed-out" and were ready to go home. We've never felt this way on a cruise. Instead, we've wanted to stay onboard longer, because we couldn't do it all in one week. The AI doesn't have the wide appeal across generations like a cruise does - something for everyone so the whole family is happy.

The prices for the cruise verses AI were approx the same. Yes, the AI had unlimited alcohol, but we are not big drinkers, so we didn't get our money's worth there. We really missed the entertainment, the cameraderie, the various ports and excursions, the many activities, etc, of a cruise. Ever since then, our annual holiday is always a cruise.

So glad I have found you! We've been on 3 cruises and 1 Ai. We are booked for 2 weeks at Hacienda Vista Real (Ai) in Playa Del Carmen in June 08. I cannot find anyone who has been there or know anything about it. Do you?

Also shopping for a cruise for week Feb. 24 - March 2. We have booked a RT flight to Ft. Lauderdale 2/23 - 3/2. Can't seem to find anything interesting on land there unless we go to Miami. Any suggestions? The best cruise I seem to be able to find is the Caribbean Princess 7 day.

Thanks for any info! :o

Go to Tripadvisor. Enter the resort name. Rating and comments are there.

Archived