Flight Change/BIG problem

Cruiser62

I can't believe this is happening. I booked our flight to Vancouver, based on the times, now American Airlines called to tell me our return flight was changed from 2:28 pm to 12:16 pm. The ship docks at 8:00 am, but I'm wondering if we will have enough time. If we miss the return flight, and we have to come home the next day, they will not put us up in a hotel, and I'll have to pay for the flight change.
Is the 12:16 pm return flight cutting it too close?
Any advice? I'm desperate [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I just got off the phone with Royal Caribbean. The agent told me that we should have no problem making the 12:16 pm flight. She said to tell the purser we need to be in first group departing the ship. I hope this works out as I don't have any other choice. American Airlines offered me a full refund, but what good does that do me.

Have you read the post from the woman who just returned from a cruise on Infinity? If I were you, I would maybe take the airline up on their offer of a full refund, then find a flight out the next morning. Nothing would bum me out more than finishing a wonderful cruise than a nightmare at the airport. Go back a year, you will pretty much find the same type of posts, YVR is a mess every morning a few cruise ships are in port. Read some of the posts regarding Priceline for a hotel room, the prices can be fairly low and you will have a less stressful venture home.

Before you do all that, however, check to find out how many cruise ships will be in port the same day as you. If your cruise ends on a Saturday or Sunday, it will be 3 or 4.

Kathy

What day of the week are you returning?

We only had one ship in port this past Monday. My flight was at 1:59 and I made it to the terminal/gate at 10:00 - and this was taking my time getting off the ship, on the bus and getting through the airport.

I looked you up, you're on Radiance, right? I think you will be at Ballyntyne pier, not Canada Place. I think you will be ok, if you disembark first and grab a cab to the airport. Don't wait around for the ships' transportation. Here is a port schedule, you can find your ship there:

[url="http://www.alaskacruises.org/iceimages/ports/port_schedule_AK_2004.pdf"]http://www.alaskacruises.org/iceimages/ports/port_schedule_AK_2004.pdf[/url]

Have a great cruise!

Kathy

Kathy,

We arrive back in Vancouver on Saturday. I'm hoping to be one of the first off the ship (will talk to the purser) and then grab a cab to the airport.

I hate to cancel the flight and reschedule. It will cost twice as much. I'm so PI**ed that they did this! I'll just have to hope we make it in time.

Coral--thanks for your reply too. We're coming back on Saturday, but hopefully I'll still be as lucky as you.

I'd like to offer one more unsolicited tip, if you don't mind. Let your room steward know of your plans for early disembarkation. We got off a ship early once, but our luggage wasn't offloaded until our regular area time. We had to sit and wait over an hour for it.

Good luck and have a great time!

Kathy

I would call the airline and state you need a later flight. American has several interline agreements and they may be able to find something for you. This happened to me last year. I was given a connection that had several HOURS between flights- it was changed by calling the special services desk. Vancouver Airport is unpredictable, there can be considerable lines and it will be very busy on a Saturday. As mentioned take a cab.

Kathy,
Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to speak to the room steward about early disembarkation.

Budget Queen,
I tried everything with American Airlines. They told me our 2:28 pm was cancelled and the 12:16 pm flight is the last flight of the day. We have to connect in Chicago. I wish we had another choice. There is a 2:05 pm flight on United, but it's already full. The way I see it, we're backed into a corner. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Crusier62 go over and check the post on the new baggage handling at Vancouver. I just put a post out there. RCI & American are using the new system where your luggage is taken the night before. You sign up at the Purser's desk on the ship and just go to the airport. I would ask for 1st group off the ship.

If that doesn't work and am not sure when your sailing check into AirCanada. I know they are running some airfare specials. If you don't mind switching planes in Toronto or Montreal they many more flights out of Vancouver than anyone else.

Cruiser62,
Just one more vote to move your time based on our one experience at Vanc. We had a 12:30 flight, got into port early in morning, didn't get off ship until about 9:15, took us past 10:00 to get to terminal and unload, then had to wait for luggage free for all. Then back in line forever to get our Vanc tax ticket, and then thru security and then customs. All flights were delayed 1/2 hr it was so bad. Our Alaska Air flight was delayed, switched gates 3 times as it got later, and finally left at 3:30!! Then our 10 min stop in Seattle ended up being 1 1/2 hrs and we didn't get into Sacto until about 8:30 that evening or about 4 hrs plus late. So I will never try to fly in or fly out on the same day as cruise ship. Hopefully, our experience was unusual.

We were off the ship at 9 am, but luggage did not start to appear until 11, I have never ever seen people work that slow in my life. If the could move any slower they would have moved backwards and it took over an hour to wait on line to grab a cab. I would call American and as for a supervisor, tell her you booked the later flight and the earier one will just not do, let them fly you out the next am and get a hotel off of Priceline( we got the Hyatt right off of Robson street for 55 a night). They change our flight times(booked the air for feb 04 on May 03, made them accomadate me at the price I orginally paid for my tickets, they even had to fly me first class one of the ways to do this!!!) Get a supervisor and go up the ladder from there - do not take no for an answer.

norm

Hello Cruiser,

I agree with trying to spend the night in Vancouver. My family and I were on the Infinity last week also and pulled back into Vancouver on 6/6. Our arrival was delayed "due to inclement weather" the day before. It only delayed us by about a half an hour but there really is no time to spare when you need to catch a flight. We flew with Air Canada which is affiliated somehow with United. Like the others that posted we had to wait for our luggage at the airport and the lines were tremendous. After we picked up our luggage we had to wait in another line for boarding passes. They did not check our luggage at that time. We had to then wait in another very long line to go through customs and check luggage. It's a very difficult process if you're travelling with large pieces of luggage and/or with anyone that cannot stand for long periods of time. There were many children resting on top of suitcases being pulled/pushed by parents. Sorry for the long post. I wish you well.

We are in an even worse situation. When we booked with Continental, our flight was to leave Vancouver for Houston at 1:00. Then it was moved to 11:40 in the morning. That is the last flight of the day. We can't stay until the next day because my husband has to catch a flight out of Houston for business in New York. And after being gone from work for 10 days, I need to be back also. I called RCCL and they told me even though they don't publicize it, as long as our flight was after 11:00 we should be able to make it.
Also, read the post near the beginning as Alaska port of calls, because there is a new procedure now for getting boarding passes. You can actually get them on board the ship and go straight to the airport, never to see your luggage until you arrive in your home city. If you did not purchase sea/air package (we did not, b/c we used free frequent flyer miles), you will still get your luggage from the terminal as in the past, however you still get your boarding pass on the ship. I think that will make a world of difference in getting to the airport. There is also no more tax to pay for the airport.

Thanks for advice and suggestions everyone. Unfortunately, we have to be back on 7/10 due to obligations on 7/11 that we can't miss, or I would have considered staying overnight. AA also told me the 12:16 pm flight is the last flight of the day. There is a 2:05 pm flight on UAL but it's booked. Would it really do me any good to call AA and fight about this? If there isn't a later flight (and I checked, there isn't) wouldn't I just be beating my head against the wall? I would have never booked the cruise if I couldn't get the flight times to jive, now AA is really screwing me up. I honestly don't know what to do other than go and enjoy the cruise, and hope for the best at the end.

Also, I mentioned before that when they changed my flight I was told if we miss it and end up taking another flight I have to pay for it, and they won't put us up in a hotel. Do you think they really would stand by this? Of course I would argue at the airport should the worst happen, but since they're the ones who decided to change my return flight 3 weeks before the trip, can't they be somewhat held accountable if I miss the flight?

Unforutnatly, if you are not there, checked in at the gate (1/2 hr believe is the time frame) then they can bump you and you will have no recourse. Saw this happen just this April in FLL, flight was delayed anyway, but people had not check in, and they were invluntary bumped ooff the flight and AA owed them nothing. By the way were are you flying to, ultimate destination.

norm

Cruiser62 -

What flight number were you originally scheduled for? I panicked when I read your post. We were originally to depart Vancouver at 2:36 PM on Sunday for Chicago. I checked with AA today and with RCCL. Both have said that the time did change but the departure will be 2:48 PM not 2:36 PM. RCCL said they had not been notified of any cancellation and AA still shows our flights as being active.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;7;18;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

<Marquee>I'm getting out there - SERENADE OF THE SEAS - July 18, 2004<Marquee>

Cruiser -

I just got off the Serenade of the Seas last Sunday. We had priority debarkation so we were in the first group (color beige), and were off the ship with our luggage in hand by 8AM. There were tons of cabs available and we could have easily made it to the airport by 9AM. Royal Caribbean did a fantastic job of debarkation. Like some of the other posters said, just make sure you're in the first group. If not, your luggage WILL NOT be there. They were bringing in luggage with other colors as we were leaving.

We rented a car at Hertz and drove to Seattle. Even with the delays at the border, we were in Seattle by 12:30.

I think Balletyne pier is one of the main reasons for our quick debarkation. There are 3 ships at Canada Place compared to 1 at Ballentyne.

My advice - Wake up early and be ready to get off the boat at 7AM. We began debarking at 7:30 and I was kind of caught off guard...I had to hurry up and finish eating breakfast!!

Ebielik-
Don't worry, you're on a different cruise. We're on Radiance from 7/3 to 7/10. AA changed the flight from YVR to CHI on Saturday, 7/10.

Bucsfan-I'll do exactly what you're telling me. We are the only ship at Ballantyne that day so we'll just get off early and hustle.

I'm going to call AA again on Monday to argue some more anyway.

What do you mean our luggage won't be there if we don't get off right away?

I mean if you have a different debarkation color(that debarks later), don't bother trying to get off with the first group b/c you'll have to wait for them to bring your luggage. I saw a couple that decided to get off the ship (eventhough their color had not been called), and they had to wait around for their bags to be delivered.

In our case, we had beige tags, which was the first group, and our luggage was waiting for us.

If you are able to get into the 1st group that debarks - you should have no problems.

Archived