flights- need advice!

hcross888

Hi!

I am booked on the Blue Danube Discovery at the end of June. When should I book air tickets? Also, on some of the flights I have seen online there are 2 different airlines. When this happens, do you have to get your luggage and re-check it?

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

I usually book my flights 6-8 months ahead. It allows me to get the airline and flights I want.

In most cases, the bags can be checked thru to your destination, even if you are changing airlines. Always verify it when you check in.

Hi!

I am booked on the Blue Danube Discovery at the end of June. When should I book air tickets? Also, on some of the flights I have seen online there are 2 different airlines. When this happens, do you have to get your luggage and re-check it?

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

I agree with Paul that you should book at least 6 months in advance. June is definitely high season for Europe and it is usually the transatlantic leg of your trip that can be a problem as far as getting booked up or at least the cheaper seats get taken quickly. As far as luggage, major US airlines always have a few partner or codeshare airlines that handle the European legs of the trip; for instance, American Airlines partners with British Airways, Iberia, Malaev Hungarian, etc.; United partners with Lufthansa, Delta partners with KLM and Air France. Check the US airline's website and it'll tell you the partner airlines. With the partners, you almost always have your bags checked all the way thru, so no worries. If not partners, you may want to check with the airlines. I have tickets for December for a Danube Cruise and I have United Airlines and one of their partners Lufthansa, so my bags will go all the way. Good Luck! joel

I have had my flights booked for next May for one month. I watched Orbitz every day and when the prices dropped I booked the flights.Got great connections with plenty of time between flights and an excellent price. I saved $1400.00 USD for 2 tickets over what the tour company wanted for the same arrangements.You have to be vigilent regarding checking airlines a couple of times a day and reserve the second you see the prices drop.If you wait the prices will probably increase again soon,sometimes by that same night.

Traveling to Europe your luggage will be checked thru to your final destination (providing you are going to a country that is in the Europeon Union) where you will go thru customs and immigration. We flew to Budapest last summer and changed planes in Frankfort. Our luggage was checked thru to Budapest.iComing home if you change planes in the states you will go thru customs and immigration at the first airport(gateway city) you arrive at.You will have to claim your luggage and recheck it again. They have this down and it is very fast. However do allow for about 2 hours to clear customs and immigration and to get to your gate coming back home.

I can only address PHL, but there two hours is not enough to transfer from an overseas to a domestic flight! The entire airport is a 45 playing at 33 1/3. Or for those of the CD era . . . slo mo.

Well I have done it 6 times now within that time frame going thru O'Hare 5 times and Washington DC 1 time.Going thru Chicago I have always had to change treminals from the Interntional terminal to Terminal 3 with no problem. I guess it depends on the airport.I will be coming back next summer thru Atlanta so will see how long that takes.

I am always of the opinion, while you want the best price, you also want as few connections as possible. When we went from Budapest to Prague I was able to get direct flights both ways going through Orbitz. Fortunatly, we live in the New York area, so there are three major airports. For the same price as changing planes, we took the Hungarian Airline(partner with Delta) direct from JFK, and we returned to Newark direct on the Czek airline. People on our tour had all kinds of flights, some leaving the hotel as early as 4 a.m.

Usually, you can only get an option like this booking through a broker like Orbitz, and not booking one way ticket directly with the airlines. That way it would be too expensive. Another site to check is Kayak.com

Larry

Thank so much for all the advice! I have to book to Budapest and then back from Nuremburg. To make it more complicated, my mother and I live in 2 different cities!

Does anyone know the partner airline for Swiss Air? That was a really wonderful airline!

Thank so much for all the advice! I have to book to Budapest and then back from Nuremburg. To make it more complicated, my mother and I live in 2 different cities!

Does anyone know the partner airline for Swiss Air? That was a really wonderful airline!

Swiss Airlines is a partner of United Airlines' Star Alliance.

Archived