Disembarked from San Diego recently? What time were you at the airport?

CaribbeanIsland

From disembarkation to arrival at the airport ... about 5 minutes. :)

Really ... it's RIGHT there ... you can see the airport, and watch the planes come in and go out, from the port side of the ship. It doesn't take a taxi long to get there. 5 minutes, tops ... with traffic.

What time does disembarkment usually start? Are there lots of taxis or should I book a transfer from Holland America?

Assuming the ship arrives on-time, you can be off as early as 8:30 am, depending upon your disembarkation number.

If there's another ship at the pier the wait for taxies can be a bit long. I've done transfers via Taxi and via HAL transfer. Either way, it's fast.

I think ships due for arrival at the SD port have a greater than average rate of running late. Or, perhaps we are far more aware of those ships arriving later than at other ports because many on this board watch the ships on web cam.

In any event, the commute to the airport is a snap. My only concern with booking an early flight home would be the potential for a ship's late arrival.

I have booked and easily made flights as early as 9:30. When I did this, I was in a position to immediately rebook a later flight, from the ship, if it became necessary, so that I did not waste a day in line at the airport. Those days are long gone.

The way airlines overbook flights today, means it is often not possible to get a seat on a later flight the same or next day. Getting stuck in SD is a blessing but there is going to be an incremental cost associated with it.

Only you can decide if an early departure is worth the risk.

We were inside the airport by 8:45 a.m., much to my dismay because our flight wasn't until 1:55 p.m.

I learned on these threads to NOT use the ship transfer because it's $17. each and a cab is only $10. 0r $12.

We could have walked...............

got off the ship and there were cabs and shuttles everywhere............

shuttles were $5. per person. They were standing there with signs and you just went to the first shuttle.

As I said, we were at the airport FAST.

Using the new luggage program, it was better than great!:)

We were inside the airport by 8:45 a.m., much to my dismay because our flight wasn't until 1:55 p.m.

I learned on these threads to NOT use the ship transfer because it's $17. each and a cab is only $10. 0r $12.

We could have walked...............

got off the ship and there were cabs and shuttles everywhere............

shuttles were $5. per person. They were standing there with signs and you just went to the first shuttle.

As I said, we were at the airport FAST.

Using the new luggage program, it was better than great!:)

Thanks so much for the useful informaion! :) . I appreciate your response!

Archived