Shore Excursions? Juneau, Skagway & Ketchikan...

Alan

Which shore excursions would you recommend in the above ports. We'd prefer nothing more strenuous than hiking, and we are not necessarily looking for bargains. We just want to get the most out of our time in port. Thanks to all for your help!!!!

Juneau: we rented a van for $65 from Rent-A-Wreck in advance and were met at the pier. We drove to Mendenhall Glacier Park where we took in the glacier and two self-guided trails: Photo Point and Nugget Falls (Free). Toured the Macaulay Salmon Hatchery ($12 for our group of 6). Highly recommend both. Hit Safeway for an early afternoon snack and souvenirs. Upon returning the van we were given a gratis tour of downtown. We elected to be dropped off in town to shop. Red Dog Saloon was too crowded so we just checked out a few shops in route to the ship.

Skagway: Rented a van for $75 from Avis which is located very close to the piers. We drove to Carcross, Yukon Territory, Canada (130 miles roundtrip). As it turned out, there’s really nothing in Carcross, but the trip was incredible. (It’s not the destination —– it’s the journey). There was almost no traffic at all. We saw but one bus, a truck, and maybe 2 dozen cars the entire trip. We saw bears, caribou, mountain goats and bald eagles. We saw snow capped mountains and crystal clear lakes, numerous water falls, sweeping valley and mountain views, raging rivers, the White Mountain Pass Train. We got back into town about 2pm and shopped. Many interesting stores. The place was packed with 4 ships in port. Enjoyed an Alaska Amber Ale at the Red Onion Saloon and were driven back to the ship by the folks at Avis. Between 8pm and 10pm that night we saw numerous Humpback whales, including tail slaps, and a breach within 50 yards of the ship.

Ketchikan: the skies were clear. Short-sleeved shirts were the dress of the day. We simply walked around town. They experienced an electrical power shortage for about 1 hour around 8am. Some shops closed temporarily. Not much time to do anything special in Ketchikan other than visit the National Park Service’s museum which was quite informative, and shop. The town had some really fun shopping opportunities. Three places to stop in... "Good God" and ask for a sample of his Special Reserve smoked salmon; "Sockeye Sams": a nice all-around store; check out the ancient whale bone carvings. Look for the awesome (and reasonably priced) fossils and gemstones at "Poker Creek Gold" , and ask for a taste of the Birch Syrup at “Sam McGees†on Creek Street. We enjoyed another Alaska Amber Ale in a 3rd floor pub overlooking the dock. We didn’t leave the bar until the lines, to get back on the ship, got short.

If you want hiking and will be in the Skagway port. Then take the Yukon Hiking Adventure. It will fill all your hiking needs and it's one of the best historical hikes in North America. You will not sorry you took it. NCL or RCL ships and I think CEL sell it or you book it at Southeastours.com for the upper hard hike. Enjoy your cruise!

You can also hike in Skagway yourself on the Dewey Trail System (lower and upper lake).. trail starts in town and rangers have maps.. very easy to navigate. There is also a hike and float on the Chilkoot Trail that we enjoyed and had time to do other things also. The hike was about 3 miles, then float trip back down the river to Dyea...

Host Caroline

<font SIZE="1">Join me on the beautiful Diamond Princess in July 2005 for Cruise Critic's Awesome Alaskan Adventure --You'll have a whale of a good time! icon_smile.gif

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas

Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle

One can never have too many days at sea..</font>

I returned from Alaska just two weeks ago. I highly recommend the horseback riding tour in Skagway offered by Southeast Tours. It's on their web site Southeasttours.com. Even if you are not a rider (two people in my group had only been on a horse once in their lives and one of them was over 62 years old) it's wonderful. The ride up to the ranch takes you along the White Pass route and you cross over into the yukon, so you'll need your passport along also.

Ketchikan: I highly recommend the float plane ride with Island Wings. Michelle is the GREATEST and the scenery is breathtaking. It fills up fast, so you would need to book, ASAP.

I went dog sledding in Jueneau with ERA aviation (did their combo tour) and I thought it was a bit expensive when I booked, but figured, you only go around once, right? However,the helicopter trip, over at least 7 glaciers and the dog camp and the ride, etc. etc., was worth every penny of it! Just remember not to take anything you can't carry in your hands, althought they do provide storage for your bags at the helicopter terminal.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time and enjoy!!!

Rocky Top Mom

In Juneau we did Whale watching with Captain Larry of Orca Enterprises, wonderful make sure that you tell them you will only go on his boat, well worth the $$, also did Glacier hiking with Coastal Helicopters( there helicopters may not be as fancy as Temesco or Era, but they are not "fly boys" brought in for the summer season as the other companies do. Van from Captain Larry droped us off at their office and after they dropped us off back downtown. Website for them is www.coastalhelicopters.com flw to Glacier and hike(not strenous) to a waterfall.

In Keitchen, we did Michele from Island Wings, make sure you call her as she books up early, to Misty Fjords on a float plane, anothert excellent excursion, and so much less than the cruiseships charge.

In Skagway to did the drive up the Yukon mountain pass, stopped at several waterfalls, walked to the Red Onion for a drink

Unforunantely we were suppose to do the dog sledding and had it booked on two of the ports, but because of ther weather conditions the helicopter could not go up to that attitude for over 2 weeks, they wre telling us how the handlers were going crazy. My dh who never wanted to do Alaska, took me 5 years to finally get him there, tells me we are going to have to go back to do the Summit Flight to Denali, and the dog sledding.

norm

These are the ones I enjoyed,

Juneau=Medenhall Glacier

Skagway= White Pass railroad

Ketchikan= Saxman Village and Historic Cannery, but the walk down Creek Street was the best thing I did there. You need no tour to visit Creek Street and Dolly's house becouse it within easy walking distance.

On Princess, what do you think of Yukon Expedition & White Pass Rail (Skagway), Mount Roberts Tramway (Juneau), Medenhall Glacier Helicopter Tour (Juneau), 4 Glacier Adventure via Helicopter (Juneau) and Misty Fjords Seaplane Exploration (Ketchikan)?

Archived